Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering: So how about that M13?  (Read 7565 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Waiting for Innistrad
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:29 am »

You Mad???

I can't be the only one that saw that...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 11:10:27 am »

Well nothing shown so far makes me scream for mercy yet...

Thank goodness too... I really disliked Infect and Annihilation

My largest fault in Magic the Gathering is that I am EXTREMELY non-aggressive and like building up more then attacking.

The problem is that all the other players are aggressive swarmers who eat builders.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:15:38 am by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »

My biggest M:TG achievement was me rocking my mill deck against a guy who had a lich's mirror, so when they decked out they basically got to put their entire deck back into play.  And then I milled them down again before they had a chance to replay it.

Dude was furious.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:14:37 pm »

Oh, another preview snuck in while I wasn't looking:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For those interested, those cards I've listed aren't all the previews in their entirety. You can see every preview on the official forums:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27801877/Innistrad_ICD_Index_Thread

My biggest M:TG achievement was me rocking my mill deck against a guy who had a lich's mirror, so when they decked out they basically got to put their entire deck back into play.  And then I milled them down again before they had a chance to replay it.

Dude was furious.

I actually asked a question about Lich's Mirror a while back, and I was given this fun fact:

if you use a card like Donate or Bazaar Trader to give someone your own Lich's Mirror, that player is basically unkillable unless someone can destroy that Lich's Mirror. This is due to the fact that the mirror stipulates they shuffle every card they 'own' back into their library, so the mirror stays on the battlefield under their control.

Even funner fact: if the above situation occurs, and that player would lose the game by having 10 poison counters, it forces a draw between all players since it creates an infinite loop of the redirection effect of the Mirror triggering in response to the player losing, them shuffling all the cards they own and drawing seven, but they still have 10 poison counters and then they lose again, which trigger's Lich's Mirror, and this repeats the process infinitely, and in the official rules, this forces a draw since the game can't progress anymore.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »

Spoiler: hilarious (click to show/hide)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 02:57:24 pm »

Welp, I think I'll be making an auto-mill deck and just making my opponents hate me.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »

There is literally nowhere near me where I can buy a relatively cheap deck.
I went and checked out the various shops nearby, they all sold boosters or the superexpensive box sets only.  :/
Anybody know of anywhere online?

E: Undead Alchemist + Army of the Damned = INFINITE ZOMBIES
Also, huge huge mill action.

E2: Hell, online works for me.  I went looking, and found a set of over a thousand cards for less than most of the actual starter decks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:35:53 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 03:23:36 pm »

I played quite a lot of MTG at some point, using a freeware called "Gccg". I got bored eventually, but i had a nice white deck that i had refined over many games. It allowed me to gain massive amounts of HP and create incredibly resilient creatures. The best is that it worked even against "swarmers", my only weakness was a combo deck. It was when "rize of the eldrazi" came out, so it was also geared to counter stuff like "Emrakul, the Aeons torn"... quite a feat i have to say.

edit : i actually recreated the deck a couple months ago so i could give you the composition, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:25:26 pm by Sirian »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 05:05:15 pm »

What are double-sided cards or whatever?

Also, this looks like it's following in the footsteps of those Lorwyn sets where everything is centered around certain creature types and all you have to do to make a powerful deck is combine a whole bunch of creatures of the same type, since they all come with abilities that work well with each other. Doesn't leave that much room for creativity since their abilities usually ONLY work on creatures of their type. Meh.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »

They're cards that have two sides. *trollface*

They switch between the two when certain circumstances are met.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »

Laboratory Maniac.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Okay. Mill in Standard is viable. Just not in the way I expected it to be :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »

Yeah, as stated they're cards that have two sides. They 'transform' or flip over when a certain condition is met. The state of the card is preserved in every other way, so enchantments, counters, equipments, and other things on that creature are still there, the creature simply has different properties now.

Spoiler: An example of one (click to show/hide)

The intention is that you're supposed to play these with opaque-back sleeves, and only have the 'day' side, or the side with the mana cost, revealed by the clear side, and then physically pull them out of the sleeve and flip them over when they transform. If you don't have sleeves, you're expected to use a 'checklist' card in your deck instead, it looks like this:

and the card you're playing is meant to be obvious through you making a mark or check on the intended creature-name beforehand, with a sharpie or something, and then when you cast it, you physically substitute the checklist card with the actual DFC that you had hidden in your sideboard or deckbox or something.

Wizards is trying to make sure that players get enough of these by placing them in packs substituting the land spot in 3/4 of all boosters.

It's a hell of a lot to take in, and I seriously don't like it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »

Spoiler: Previews for tonight (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:30:54 pm by JoshuaFH »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 03:38:48 am »

And here I was worried they would go through all the hassle of making new characters for the new set of Planeswalkers.   This is the third or fourth Garruk, right?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 03:49:19 am »

And here I was worried they would go through all the hassle of making new characters for the new set of Planeswalkers.   This is the third or fourth Garruk, right?
Technically, that's the third AND fourth Garruk.

And this is only the first set of the block. I bet we'll see one or two more later on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6