Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 33577 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Well. It's flying, but it seems to be unable to path inside the fortress. I ordered a squad to kill it but they didn't move, so they probably can't reach it either.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Joyous news! Libash, our butcher, has given birth to a beautiful baby girl! Now, don't look at me like that, it was just a crush on her!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More warnings passed unheeded. Animals were dying, four of them in total, all cavy pups. We were too arrogant to notice, and work continued on the arena.

More tremors from the deep. The militia is unwilling to act. They keep watching the arena, that is their only concern.

Even nature rebelled against us, but we paid it no heed. We were too arrogant.

Celebrations continued, and the democratic dwarves gained almost total control over the fortress. People could visit the leadership for advice or help, and it seemed we entered a new Age of Dwarven Prosperity.

Some poor souls, lost in the mountain, asked refugee in our fortress. Twenty of them in total. I don't know how they managed to stay alive on this glacier for so long. They could help us. They are now citizens of Icemachines, citizens with full rights.

I have noticed a strange architectural design in the fort, one which the dwarves apparently refer to as the balls and ths shaft.

We have begun smoothing the main arena space. The golden floors and the magma channels will provide a nice spectacle for the dwarves of the fort.

Strange creatures lurking in the depths, all waiting for one signal to spring their trap and end our lives. Construction continues.

Elves have arrived. A decision has been born. We will not tolerate their kind in our fort. They shall be the first to die in the arena.

The population of our fortress is growing nicely. More workforce, always good. I think I will take the boy as my apprentice when he grows up, he seems to be of good stock.

Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

I believe you're missing the 'Bellend' note. It's at the end of the shaft. I only realised the look of it halfway through building it :P.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:04:51 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Well. It's flying, but it seems to be unable to path inside the fortress. I ordered a squad to kill it but they didn't move, so they probably can't reach it either.

Ordering a squad to kill a flying creature almost never works.  Ordering a squad to kill a creature only works if the creature is somewhere the squad can reach, and even then isn't very reliable.  You're much better off ordering the squad to a position near the creature, and then hoping they see it and attack it of their own initiative.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Right now I don't care much about the FBs. If they get in, they will probably attack the huge group of smoothers in the arena, and then we can expect people and beasts to fall into magma. !!FUN!!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, apparently they can get in through fortifications. So, if you have a FB on the first cavern level, you might want to find a way to keep them from getting in through the water pool.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Uhhh...why not just build a wall in front of the fortifications...? It's not that hard to figure out. :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:26:26 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhhh...why not just build a wall in front of the fortifications...? It's not that hard to figure out. :P
Because then there would be no way for water to get into the wells.  The problem with fortifications is that when fully submerged, they don't offer any resistance to creatures passing through.  This is how forgotten beasts have been getting into the sealed-off cavern area via the wells.

Solving this, letting water through while blocking forgotten beasts, is tricky.  The usual solution is with a sort of a U-bend with a floor grate to block creatures from moving upwards through the water passage.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of the entrances is on the way to the adam pit; I punctured a hole in the wall on I think the third cavern layer so I could fish through it. Now that I conscripted all the fishermen feel free to close it up.

That's how the FB on my turn got in; you know, the one who got mauled by a pack of small pups.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Hey, what's going on with Peregar? Is he still alive?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of Paladin Mitch

I haven't picked this diary up in a long time. Not since I was forced to step down as overseer. I guess it's partly from being busy with my training; I guess it's going slow. I'm not a fighter, but with no other profession for me and my issue of martial law it would be hypocritical of me to not enlist. The other part is because of guilt. I know I have done nearly everything right, but I know my mistakes were the cause of the possible deaths of two of our veterans. My hope for Wes recovering from his infection grows everyday he doesn't drop dead, but it's not a definite. However, the mark of my mistakes is more apparent on Peregar. His skin has rotted off; he stays in his room in a constant state of miasma. However, I visited Peregar recently. It seems there has been a recovery!

My squad trains in a different area, but on my way to my quarters I noticed Peregar training again. Fully healed! He must be truly blessed, Atrid saw it fit to rebirth his entire body! Truly a glorious day in an otherwise grim home.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy carp. Zombies forever!
Can I have a mist generator then? Pleease, that my miasma drives me mad.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You aren't miasma-ing the place up. You're fully 'healed'.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's weird.
Give me leather robe, pants, gloves and hood then, to replace my own rottten leather.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How's his description screen?  Covered in scars?  "His skin is gone" or anything like that?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23