Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74944 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Interlude
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:10 pm »

Follow through with the plan,  brandishing my top hat in case he takes off. 
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Five
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »

Chapter One Part Five

The Prussian Ultimatum

Kindly address the Preussian schweinehunde in a non-threatening way.

"Ah, good sirs, you see, a great misfortune has fallen upon me. I was on my way to a fabulous hunting party at a fellow gentleman's estate over in Canterbury when my best gun dog, a black-coated retriever, got it in his mind to run away - God knows why, he's never shown any such disposition before. Nonetheless, I find myself in this miserable position as I can not leave for my friend's without him, and me and my butler has been forced to look for him all night.

Oh - but forgive me, I forget my manners. I am August von Fersen. A pleasure to meet you." I hold my hand out to greet them. "You wouldn't have happened to spot such a loose dog, would you?"

If they fall for my ruse and go leave me alone, I follow them at a distance, wherever they head next.

Calm in the face of the Germans' interrogation, von Fersen explains that he is out in the streets in this ghastly weather searching for his best hunting dog [6+2]. The German pair are more than convinced: it seems that they aspire to the position of gentlemen themselves, and they have such sympathy for von Fersen's terrible, although imaginary, plight that they offer themselves to help the courageous Swede with his search!

Experience Gained! You have gained considerable experience in Masterful Pipe Holding (+1 to Gentlemanliness whilst holding a pipe)

Gentlemanliness Increased! Calm in the Face of Disaster Amongst Fellow Gentlemen!

Elsewhere, after speaking to the constable, John Link looks for a shop which might happen to be open at this hour from which he can purchase some biscuits - after all, one never knows when one might be required to partake in tea [1].

He knocks on the door of a likely looking establishment and enters.

When later recounting the anecdote to his most trusted gentlemen confidants, Link couldn't for the life of him remember which, in the resulting confusion, took place first: his recognition of Charles Frederic Moberly Bell, the distinguished editor of the most distinguished and influential Times of London, and his friend and majority shareholder the Marquis of Leicester, owner of an estate of upwards of sixty thousand acres somewhere in the North; or his realisation that not long after 2 o'clock in the morning he was in a house of ill repute in the port of Dover with many sailors.

They both clearly recognised him; they had both been to many of Sir Jack Link's dinner parties: John Link was left with nothing to do but beat a hasty and mumbling retreat.

Gentlemanliness Increased! The Importance of Tea and Biscuits!

Caddishness Severely Increased! Disgraceful Public Scandal! Found In a Brothel!

Hmmmm, biscuits.

Purchase some. You never know when the next teatime begins.

Wait, wasn't Fersen supposed to be following me? Blimey, let's find him.

He hurriedly closes the door and turns back into the cold winter's night and, in the shock, forgets his biscuits and realises he has mislaid his Nordic companion von Fersen. He tries to remember where he last recalled seeing him, and although he is still mentally reeling from the sudden blow, as it were, of finding himself publicly recognised in a brothel by his father's business acquaintances, he manages [5] to trace his way back to where von Fersen should, and indeed still does, find himself.

Quite bizarrely, he appears to be walking the streets of the port of Dover at around 2 o'clock on a cold wintry morning calling out for his hunting dog with two gentlemen who are unequivocally of the German persuasion.

Offer the angry Germans tea.

As Link stands at the end of the street wondering what to make of the strange and foreign threesome he sees before him, Henry McGeenyton wanders up to the very same disturbingly Germanic threesome and offers the Prussians tea [1].

Unfortunately, McGeenyton is not quite so proficient in German as he believed, and manages to insult them both horribly! It is all they can do not to beat the man with their umbrellas immediately – in the face of this shining English paragon of gentlemanliness they realise the correct thing to do is to challenge the insulter to a duel.

“You may choose both the weapon, and whether to face us vun by vun or both at the same time, son of a schweinehunde! But you may not choose the time! Zis time vill be now!” they conclude, getting angrier and more vaguely European as they speak.

At this moment Link strolls towards the now angry and gesticulating foursome, and leans in towards von Fersen, set slightly apart from the other three smoking his pipe distinguishedly and wondering whether to keep up the pretence of looking for his dog or whether to reveal the truth, and his friendship with McGeenyton, and risk losing a little gentlemanly face.

“What the devil is going on?” softly inquires the bemused Scot of the Swede.

The Waterloo Deception

What to do with the shifty German? He may be von Junker, he may be no one important, and he could be a decoy. Then again, he is a German...

Ask to see what is in the attache case. If he starts running, try to hit him in the hand with the case so that he drops it, then his legs to stop him from running. You can't escape the U.S. Marshals MI:G! If he refuses, mumble something about Normandy, and let Wellington try to convince him to let us look at it.

As the German approaches where Winston Smith is waiting on Platform 4a of Waterloo Station, the American steps into his path and demands to see what is in smart leather attaché case he is carrying [1].

The cunning descendant of the Visigoths shouts out in alarm, crying "Thief! Thief!" and as two police constables who happened to be passing run to his rescue he pushes brusquely past the American and his companion and makes his escape. He flees down the platform towards the station exit!

The two police officers run towards Smith, ordering him to stop in the name of the Law!

Caddishness Increased! Publicly Scandalised!

Follow through with the plan,  brandishing my top hat in case he takes off.

Luckily Wellington was ready with top hat in hand [6+1], and strolling briskly to intercept the running German he launches the hat in a deadly arc which connects with the villainous spy's head and takes it clean off the stump of his neck with the elegance of a new-born lamb being swiped by a golden eagle on a desolate Highland peak.

Wound Inflicted! His head falls off! He is deceased!

As the German's headless corpse crashes to the ground on the semi-deserted platform at Waterloo, Wellington gentlemanly and authoritatively approaches the two police constables attempting to chastise Smith and calmly explains the situation [4+2]. They realise their error and apologise profoundly to the American, offering what help they can in the continuation of the gentlemen's vital quest.

Experience Gained! Top Hat Maestro! (+1 to Top Hat Fu)

Both Wellington and Smith approach the body of their erstwhile opponent. Smith gives the corpse a gentle prodding with his deadly walking bat stick: he is undeniably deceased. As gentlemen, both remove their hats, before quickly getting to the business of attempting to open the attaché case. It falls open as easily as snow falling upon the ground; the hollow thud of its opening echoes across the vast halls of Waterloo like the batteries of cannon did upon the fields of the same name nearly a century ago.

The attaché case is empty.

A Useful Chat In Dover

Go talk to the locals and find out anything that could help us.

Meanwhile, several streets away from his companions in Dover, Thomas Wallace and his squad of fearsome highlanders are walking the streets, hoping against hope to happen upon a local who, at this time of night, might be able to tell them something useful [4].

He meets a group of fisherman who are returning from depositing their catch, and they accurately describe to the mighty band of Scots where they saw an illuminated and large apparent flying contraption, no more than one mile away, that nigh on a dozen men appeared to be readying for flight.

A Useful Afterthought In London

As Winston Smith rises from the empty attaché case upon the floor, William Wellington walks over to where his top hat has landed [5+1]. He bends to pick it up, and, as he straightens it back out into a form suitable for the adorning of a gentleman's head in London, out of the corner of his eye he spies a hurried figure a hundred yards or so away and rapidly nearing the great wide doors of Waterloo station, clearly carrying some sort of briefcase, and clearly running as fast as he can, in a manner that one could only, if asked to describe it in one word at a later date for one's chronicler, characterise as Germanic.

There is no doubt in Wellington's mind that this, and not the unfortunate decoy, is the infamous Hans von Junker.

[OOC note: The events at Waterloo are happening slightly before those at Dover, about an hour before – I figured either do both bits simultaneously to recreate the splitscreen tension of such oeuvres as 24 or give the Dover group an extra turn of playing I see what you don’t see and what I see is a flying contraption with Darvi in the car. I can roll that missing turn for you if you wish; I can only speculate at the moment what would happen when half of you roll [1]s again...]

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »

My goodness, that poor German, but what to do about von Junker? I can't yell, that would be ungentlemanly, and I can't be seen running through London. Then again, I am American... No, can't use that excuse again. I bet if I throw my walking bat stick I'll roll a 1, hit the King, and be held in the Tower until I die. Then again, that can always happen... I guess I can always take the German's head and hit is like a baseball cricket ball. Perhaps something less extreme.

Look for a rock to hit in the direction of von Junker with my walking bat stick bat. Of course, this is England, so hit it cricket-style to avoid angering the locals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2011, 04:53:31 pm »

"Ah, mister Link, we were simply partaking in a sporting game of charades, and I do believe I won."
Brandish shotgun at the Germans, while holding pipe in corner of mouth.

"Oh, but good sirs, I think no such actions are in question. As much as I regret being as ungallant as to stop you from partaking in by-honour-obliged combat, me and my friends - whom you've just met - are running out of time, and I believe we all agree the needs of King and Country outweighs those of our personal honour. You see, we are here looking for a contraption of flight we've been told you have here, and I estimate it is well over due that you take us too it."

Puff some smoke in their faces. "Of course, we only need one of you for that, so if any one would feel a greater need of retribution than the other, I suppose one quick duel could be arranged."

((I feel I have been using the word "brandish" a lot lately. I hope I am not repeating myself.))
Love, scriver~

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »

Rush to the flying contraption with me Scots because Scottish Highlanders know how to do everything.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

"The weapon for the duel is to be swords (Which my gracefulness bonus counts towards). Good day, sirs. You are sure you do not want tea? And I would prefer to fight you one by one."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:12 pm »

Wellington grasps the edge of his hat while turning to face the fleeing German. With a swift flick of the wrist, he throws his hat in such a manner to trip the suspected Von Junker while catching him off guard.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2011, 02:59:14 am »

Question for Geen:

Before I write up most of the turn - do you wish to duel to the death? Or until severe wounding? Or the first strike? I think having seen Scriver's action it will only be against one of the Germans.

Edit: I am assuming that you are ok with the duel taking place right now / this turn, that is. The Germans are keen.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:49:57 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Interlude Two
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2011, 10:00:53 am »

Hammerfest, January, 1906

Dear Professor Blythington-Smythe,

Ah! The Norwegian Blue! Such beautiful plumage! I used to see them often when I was a small child, but now they are so often deceased that they are all but extinct. They do stun so easily. Nevertheless, the fjords are still a sight of great beauty, I am sure that you will greatly enjoy this part of your trip.

It would be tremendous to share with you my work on the electromagno-cannon. I have been working particularly hard these last months; in fact I would have to admit that it is causing a little friction between Frida and I. I fear she is not so happy up here in the Northern cold, and with more and more Vikings about it is true that sometimes life is getting a little hard.

I have made great advances though, and I have some further ideas that are coming to fruition. I should like to work on them with you a little if it is possible: I think together we could develop the electromagno-axe-cannon! With your industry and my Viking heritage I do not see why it could not be so. Also, an elk-mountable version. I have seen this one in my waking dreams although Frida claims it is but another sign of my obsessive overworking.

It will be delightful to meet you and your wife again; I believe I have not seen Hilda since the convention in Prague. I have heard that it is a beautiful city once again now that the rebuilding has been finished.

With my kindest regards,

Yours sincerely,

Professor Birkeland

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:11:03 pm by lawastooshort »

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

To severe wounding/death/surrender.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »

Ok - I will do that as soon as I can after John Darvi Link posts (edit: or will post the turn in around 15-18 hours if he doesn't post).

Good luck sir!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:19:02 pm by lawastooshort »

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »

Dammit Darvi, post! >:(
CTHULHU IS DISPLEASED WITH YOU...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Six
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2011, 04:58:25 am »

Chapter One Part Six

The Retreat From Waterloo

Wellington grasps the edge of his hat while turning to face the fleeing German. With a swift flick of the wrist, he throws his hat in such a manner to trip the suspected Von Junker while catching him off guard.

As von Junker tries to flee the station, the deadly top hat wielder Wellington wafts his gentlemanly projectile through the air at the spy’s Germanic legs [5+1]. Within mere feet of safety, within crawling distance of the great and parting doors of Waterloo station, von Junker falls, tripped by the top hat that is, even as he turns to see his attacker, returning to the Englishman’s hand as if by some miracle of superior English design and wit.

My goodness, that poor German, but what to do about von Junker? I can't yell, that would be ungentlemanly, and I can't be seen running through London. Then again, I am American... No, can't use that excuse again. I bet if I throw my walking bat stick I'll roll a 1, hit the King, and be held in the Tower until I die. Then again, that can always happen... I guess I can always take the German's head and hit is like a baseball cricket ball. Perhaps something less extreme.

Look for a rock to hit in the direction of von Junker with my walking bat stick bat. Of course, this is England, so hit it cricket-style to avoid angering the locals.

Coming to the same conclusion at the same time as his companion in arms, Smith casts his eyes about for a rock with which to assail the fleeing villain [6]. He happens to find a rounded half brick, shaped almost perfectly like a base cricket ball!

Opening fire simultaneously with Wellington like a miniature line of brave red jackets on some Napoleonic battlefield, the American Winston Smith tosses the half brick into the air and half volleys it with the power, finesse and Great British cricketing style of the great W. G. Grace towards his now downed opponent [6].

Just as von Junker is struggling to his feet and barking out to an unseen co-conspirator, the half brick flies straight and true, and severs the German’s arm!

The lethal weapon exits Waterloo Station through the now wide open doors, carrying before it the amputated limb, still clasping the vital briefcase and the still more vital documents. The macabre entanglement of improvised cricket ball, unattached arm and national secret flies through the window of a waiting automobile; the surprised driver turns around and recognises the briefcase as Wellington and Smith appear in the doorway to apprehend their defeated foe.

Realising his fellow spy will not be joining him without considerable delay, the driver starts the car, abandons von Junker to these vicious Anglophones, and chugs away into the snowy London night.

The Duel Sometime Before Dawn

Rush to the flying contraption with me Scots because Scottish Highlanders know how to do everything.

Whilst a few streets away a small group of gentlemen’s honour and duty wrestle each other to the death like the proverbial unstoppable force and immovable object, the oblivious Wallace and his band of Highlanders, mind trained ruthlessly on the task at hand, set course for the flying contraption on foot, marching at a steady pace with drum and bagpipe blazing their awe inspiring battle hymns [4]. With any luck they should arrive in approximately fifteen of the King’s minutes.

A few streets away…

"Ah, mister Link, we were simply partaking in a sporting game of charades, and I do believe I won."
Brandish shotgun at the Germans, while holding pipe in corner of mouth.

"Oh, but good sirs, I think no such actions are in question. As much as I regret being as ungallant as to stop you from partaking in by-honour-obliged combat, me and my friends - whom you've just met - are running out of time, and I believe we all agree the needs of King and Country outweighs those of our personal honour. You see, we are here looking for a contraption of flight we've been told you have here, and I estimate it is well over due that you take us too it."

Puff some smoke in their faces. "Of course, we only need one of you for that, so if any one would feel a greater need of retribution than the other, I suppose one quick duel could be arranged."

Foreseeing their potential use in locating the air transportation device, von Fersen nearly averts the duel that both McGeenyton and the Germans seem so set on; when he realises that there are Germans enough to serve both, on the one hand, King and Country, and, on the other, honour, he volunteers to act as McGeenyton’s second as John Link looks on with a bemused and possibly disapproving expression.

The Swede puffs some smoke in the pair’s faces [4] whilst brandishing his shotgun in a manner which suggests very much that they are now his prisoners, whatever the outcome of the forthcoming duel should be.

"The weapon for the duel is to be swords (Which my gracefulness bonus counts towards). Good day, sirs. You are sure you do not want tea? And I would prefer to fight you one by one."

Given the emptiness of the street, the earliness of the hour and the urgency of the matter, the offended German suggests that their current time and location would be most suitable for regaining his satisfaction. His fellow agrees to be his second and produces, as McGeenyton requests, a pair of dueling swords of the French style.

As they walk to their positions to the faint and puzzling sound of bagpipes, the German curtly asks of McGeenyton,

“First blood? Or to the death?”

“To the death,” comes the reply. “Are you sure you don’t want tea?”
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:02:37 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - McGeenyton's Duel
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2011, 05:09:27 am »

Chapter One Part Seven

At around 30 minutes past two in the morning of Friday 18th January, 1906, Henry McGeenyton and Hans von Papen are to be found strolling down Park Avenue in Dover to Connaught Park, where they are to fight a duel with the intention of satisfying the German's honour after McGeenyton's accidental but unacceptable slur. With them are the seconds - on the Englishman's side, the noble Swede von Fersen; on the German's, his friend and collaborator, Wilhelm von Hellweg - and also the Scotsman John Link, playing the role of neutral observer who will ensure that protocol is followed.

Stopping in a small clearing, the two protagonists shake hands, and the seconds hand them their weapons, after inspecting both to ensure that they are equal and worthy. The snow still falls gently about them; the night is silent. The two remove their jackets, take their weapons,  and walk a few steps one from the other.

As the observers take their positions a short distance from the valiant pair, Link gives a silent signal for them to commence: he raises his napkin, and as he drops it, the two men advance.

They circle for the briefest of moments, each sizing the other up and hoping to spot a weakness.

The German swoops in first to aim a blow straight at McGeenyton's chest: he misses and is off balance as McGeenyton parries with considerable strength. A true gentleman, he lets von Papen recover, and strikes. He manages a strike to the German's chest, but at the last he sidesteps and it merely grazes his arm. The blood stains through his shirt, the rest as white as the fallen snow. Von Papen immediately attemps a riposte, and McGeenyton, the experienced swordsman, catches the blow upon his sword. The one sword slides down the other so that both hilts meet and the two fighters come face to face, mere inches apart.

McGeenyton wins this battle of strength and will and pushes the German back. The combatants circle once more. Von Papen seems irritated at suffering the ignominy of taking the first hit and he leaps in once again to strike a blow for his gentlemanly honour and McGeenyton, caught unawares by this German fury, barely manages to avoid the blow. He takes an ugly wound to the thigh, seriously damaging his finely tailored trouser leg.

Taking a step back, the Englishman is barely able to avoid von Papen's next vicious thrust, but as he sidesteps with all the grace of an expert duellist he strikes back as von Papen goes tumbling past him completely unable to react. He runs the German through! His kidney is pierced!

Von Papen is seriously injured. In pain, he drops his weapon to the ground.

He is beaten.

Wound Acquired! Gash to Thigh!
Item Acquired Damaged Trouser Leg
Gentlemanliness Increased! Renowned Duellist!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:05:30 am by lawastooshort »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - McGeenyton's Duel
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2011, 07:27:36 am »

Continue Onwards.also try to see if any of the highlanders have a bowling ball on a chain.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50