Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74943 times)

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Eight
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »

My god. That last adventure has me not wanting to do anymore fighting... All men have a family and what not.

Become a pacifist, shave head, and move to Tibet. Do some appropriate self-deprecation for the failure, tell Jenkinson about what happened to the blueprints,and ask him to a ride to Dover. Consider odds of ushering in world peace.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:30:46 am by areyoua »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2011, 12:52:25 am »

Oh please, he was a nazi that effectively wanted world domination for his country. World domination is BAD. Anyway, it is unspeakable to go against your country when it is in need of your help! That would be caddish of you!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:54 am »

...Nazi? It's like, twenty years until they even become a player! We're not even past the first world war yet. And England is as good a world dominator as it gets at this point! :P

Anyway:[ b]Keep moving after the Preussian[/b]. Talk with him about all the elk you can hunt in Sweden, and offer to let him purchase an antler from a twenty-pointer, or perhaps some genuine elk droppings, as it is said Germans enjoy such things.

Also, gentlemanly re-inform Link that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess I probably repeated some stuff you already new, but I'd thought I'd make it thorough to begin with. Anything I left unclear?
Love, scriver~

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2011, 07:39:14 am »

All right, he could be a nazi, but that's not very likely in 1906, and where's the evidence that we would not want Edward VII to stroll through British Berlin?

Damn, Ninja'd

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2011, 07:45:26 am »

YEAH! We scots did more than you chaps.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2011, 07:47:05 am »

...Nazi? It's like, twenty years until they even become a player! We're not even past the first world war yet. And England is as good a world dominator as it gets at this point! :P

Also, gentlemanly re-inform Link that:

I guess I probably repeated some stuff you already new, but I'd thought I'd make it thorough to begin with. Anything I left unclear?

My word. Excellent stuff, my noble Swede. I was trying my best not to mention either the British Imperialism / No Nazis Yet points, especially as we'd briefly touched on the latter when discussing er... monkeybrain powered nazi robo spiders? (bit of a spoiler for chapter 3 that!). And I am quite grateful for not having to type out a long plot recap as an internal monologue as Link trudges wearily along the frostcovered path towards the enemy wondering exactly what the hell he's doing there.

I am also going to try not to name any more Germans as it gets a little distressing when they die.

Edit: Many apologies to those of you have not yet posted an action, but I don't feel that there is much that you would miss if I go ahead and post the next turn: hopefully it will bring you all together slightly faster than if I waited. We've had enough waiting around; it is time to unleash the umbrellas before motivation all is lost. We need some Hans von Mooks to restore the morale of our American cousin! Bloody farms are terribly ungentlemanly.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:03:55 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Nine
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2011, 10:12:39 am »

Chapter One Part Nine

Smith glanced up at Jenkinson and shook his head. Whether it was at the over-optmistic Englishman or at himself neither truly knew. He was surprised at how rotten inside he felt - not at their failure, but at von Junker's heroic but sad demise.

"We don't have the blueprints, no," he explained. "They're still attached to this man's bloody arm, and they're both of them heading towards Dover as we wait here chatting." A strange thought entered his head that he would never be able to explain for as long as he lived: first an urge to shave his head and to encourage peace between his fellow man; then the feeling that he would have to roll a six, and that surely if the die turned up a one, the world would be enveloped in a never ending war, a war to end all wars...

"The others may well be waiting for this other German fellow down in Dover, but there seems little point in hanging around waiting to find out - let's go, he's only got about a ten minutes head start, I should say. I trust you can get us there as fast as a German? And, I say, Wellington? Do me a favour old chap? Never let me do any medicine on you if it ever comes to that - I'm bloody useless at it."

Von Fersen worried about his comrade John Link. He wouldn't say what had happened in Dover just before rejoining him and McGeenyton, and von Fersen worried that what had happened was a strong blow to the head. He was asking him to recount again, step by step, the events of the last 6 hours that had led him to be strolling briskly through the frozen Kentish night towards a German flying contraption which, if it managed to take off with its stolen bounty, could lead to German domination of the continent, if not the world. He'd been invited a few weeks before, with a member of the Swedish embassy, to view the battleship HMS Dreadnought. She was a terrifying and fantastic vessel, and even just remembering back to his brief snatched views of her stirred something sea-going and ancient in the young noble's soul.

Anyway - he'd told Link twice already, and that seemed more than enough; he had a captive to take care of. The German seemed to be faithfully leading the way for McGeenyton, Link and von Fersen - he was, of course, honour-bound, and probably saw that delaying the inevitable discovery of his countrymen's flying device meant delaying his escape from this incredible Swede's interminable ramblings on the subject of elk hunting, elk antlers, elk dropppings. Apart from recounting again and again to his fellow gentleman, the brooding Scot, exactly what they had done over the course of the night, it seemed that all the damnable Swede would talk about was elk and their by-products.

He volunteered to buy some of the proffered genuine elk droppings, half in fear, and half in hope that that would be the end of the matter.

It turned out that von Fersen didn't even have any elk feces on him; the German was surprised to find himself mildly irritated. It was true, after all, that his father, God rest his soul, had been an avid collector. Perhaps there was some symbolism in his sudden nostalgia.

He started to wonder if he too had been lost to the folly of these three magnificently eccentric gentlemen - the furrow-browed amnesiac Scot, the duelling tea-fixated Englishman, the elk-obsessed Swede. Was it the madness brought upon him by the cold and his captivity? Or did he really hear the visceral howl of those awful highland instruments of ancient days carried on the night wind? The sound of bagpipes at this time and at this place seemed, to him, unimaginable - they struck a fear that cut him quicker than the chilly sea wind that had begun to pick up. It was no wonder the Kaiser was reported to want to ban them under the impending revision of the Geneva Convention. That was no Godly sound.

His reverie was abruptly brought to a halt by the distinctive report of a rifle bursting into life in the near distance, its boom exploding across the empty and lifeless downs. The bagpipes, if they had been real at all, ceased.

Hurrying towards the flying contraption, Thomas Wallace thanked the highlander McMurray, swearing upon his gentlemanly, and Wallacely, honour to find him a new weapon once this battle was done.

His lust for battle was heartily stirred by the ferocious sounds of his highlanders' marching band; he felt the battle fever come upon him. He felt his ancestors whispering to him in the night wind as cold as a highland winter; he...

"By Jove! I do believe they are opening fire on us! Take cover!"

The crack of a rifle rang out from the farm building a hundred yards ahead of them; Wallace crouched behind a convenient shrubbery, muttering to himself about the ungentlemanliness of firing on one's foe without giving a fair warning. That was the reasoning behind the famed red jackets, as any fool knew. As the drummers and the pipers stopped playing to take cover, he popped his head over his makeshift parapet and could clearly make out before him a long stone barn with a smaller outhouse beside it. Between him and the buildings there were a few trees, bushes, a few small fields divided up with traditional stone walling. Behind the buildings there lay a massive and unexplainable grey cylinder, fully five hundred feet in length, that appeared to rise as if by some unearthly volition into the night air, towering nearly a hundred feet into the sky above them. Lights shone about its base, illuminating a few scurrying men as if worker ants attending to their queen. An ominous hum could be made out from where he watched.

"I say," let out the breathless Scot.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2011, 10:23:40 am »

Yeah that didn't help and I'm just as clueless as before.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:35 am »

Scriver wrote above:

John Link is in Kent, a few minutes walk from where Thomas Wallace has just discovered the Germans and their flying machine get away vehicle. Shortly a car carrying the blueprints will arrive to meet the Germans. Your objective is to prevent the Germans flying away with the blueprints. The Germans' objective is to escape with the blueprints.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:26 am »

Tell the Highlanders to give covering fire and CHARGE them!
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »

Wait in the car.

What else can I do? Oh, wait.

Develop plan to shock world into peace somehow involving Archduke Ferdinand, the interconnecting web of alliances in Europe, and trenches to devastate the world into never fighting again after Germany is inevitably defeated in a war that will never be forgotten. That always works, right?

Perhaps something else...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »

You'll probably get there next turn or something. Waiting is as boring to write as to play.

edit: but p.s. yeah, sorry about that. And the pacifism.

edited edit: in fact there's nothing for anyone but Wallace to do: I'll get on with it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:04:32 pm by lawastooshort »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »

"Haste, my gentlefriends!"
Love, scriver~

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining, I was just posting a rather funny (in my opinion) post to show that I was here.

That might not be what you're getting at, though, so I'll admit that I don't really know what you're referencing in your edits.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:29 pm »

No I didn't think you were complaining, but you wouldn't have been wrong to. Before Scriver did his very good resume I was going to do a separate travelling turn, wherein Link would recollect what had happened and so plot recap, and Smith would muse at length on the nature of war and death whilst seated in the car on the way to Dover.

Perhaps another time.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:19:55 pm by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50