Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74917 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - McGeenyton's Duel
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

See if I can find a doctor and a tailor, after taking anything of importance off of my enemy and offering him tea one last time. If he insults me or anything like that, coup de grace him or whatever. And keep the swords, too.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

Bluhbluh. I was busy and will not talk about it.

Stand aside and watch. This is something he has to do himself. Of course if there's cheating going on I can feel free to interfere.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »

Ah, but we have more pressing issues than doctoring and tailoring at hand! We must press onwards to the flying machine, don't you think? It is, after all, a great honour to put one's self through perils in the service of the Empire! Of course, it would not be very gentlemanneric to just leave him there, so I suppose we should take him with us and see if we can't find any kind place that can take him in while the other German leads us to the Contraption, a church or an inn/hotel at least, or if not even that we'll have to resort to bothering some poor houseowner, even if it is in the late hours. Explain that they are in the service of the King and that the man is need of help (even though he is German), and that they will of course be rewarded at a later date should they agree to help - on my Gentleman's Honour. Can't just leave him there, anyway.

Also, echoing Geen, they should be completely disarmed.
Love, scriver~

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

Argh. Well, at least I didn't hit the king... I imagine, however, that even a German deserves to live, and we probably won't be catching the arm with the case when it has a head start.

Take von Junker's ruined suit, and use it to stanch the bleeding from his arm, and get him to a doctor. Of course, afterwards, ask him where and what the flying contraption is, and if he has anything else that might be interesting to know.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2011, 06:04:44 pm »

Wellington replaced his top hat and casually strolled over to the wounded Junker. With a slight grin, owed to his party's success, he inquires of the German, "Your name is Von Junker, is it not? I have a few questions to ask..."

Ask him where he was heading next and who was driving him.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:37 am »

Stand aside and watch. This is something he has to do himself. Of course if there's cheating going on I can feel free to interfere.

They've duelled now, and Mr McGeenyton is the victor! Do you have a post-duel action? I think the consensus is to take the wounded German to a doctor and then to have the other one lead you to the Airborne Flying Device.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »

Meh, I wasn't really paying attention really.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2011, 01:09:03 pm »

Hey, what about MY pants and wounds?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »

You have pants?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »

Hey, what about MY pants and wounds?

I didn't forget about them, but as you will see, McGeenyton did. Too gentlemanly for your own good.

As an aside [edit], I'd say that tailorly damage sustained in the course of a duel is probably quite a dashing look: when you recount to the gentleladyfolk the story behind the damaged trouser leg I'd imagine there could even be light swooning; when you inform a gentleman that you incurred such misfortune whilst defending King and Country he should probably feel some considerable admiration, and when you conclude the tale with your victory, he should most likely feel somewhat in awe.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:23:47 pm by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Eight
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2011, 01:23:02 pm »

I deleted the turn because I wasn't happy with it when I reread it. I'll rewrite it and post it later. Apologies.

Edit: minor note - I'll get back to putting some of the dice rolls in when I do the next turn. Had a tiring weekend and there wasn't really a great deal of action this turn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:10:54 pm by lawastooshort »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »

I didn't even see the old turn lol
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »

Chapter One Part Eight

Von Junker lay on the stone floor of Waterloo Station, his eyes following the car carrying von Hildebrand and the blueprints for which he'd given his right arm as they started off into the night and disappeared round the corner onto Leake Street. He heard the two Englishmen approach, their finely crafted shoes echoing with a hollow sound, ringing out in the vast man-made cavern of the station. He sighed to himself almost imperceptibly, unmoving.

He couldn't blame his protégé for so heartlessly driving off: he'd taught him to be so ruthless and so cold blooded himself. He'd taught him well, and if von Junker couldn't outwit a pair of English gentlemen... well, perhaps he no longer deserved the honour of serving his Kaiser. No, von Hildebrand had been right to leave him.

With some surprise he turned as he heard the first man bend down and, asking in an unexpected and soft American tone for him to let his evening jacket be removed, take the jacket off and start to tend to his wounded stump.

It had been a shock, certainly, to see his own arm fly before him, but, he supposed, it was always likely to be his fate, a similarly gory end. He'd seen worse. Of course, he'd dealt out worse himself - to French, Austrians, Russians, Danish, most often and most recently to the damned English. He'd never come up against an American before. They were never keen on coming to Europe, and he'd never wanted to travel so far himself, he'd never wanted to spend so long away from Agathe or her cooking.

As gentlemanly as this one seemed, he was clearly a bloody amateur in medicine. If he'd meant to it would surely have been impossible to inflict such pain, thought von Junker. Outwardly he tried not to show what he imagined was a weakness. He gritted his teeth. The American had the right idea to staunch the flow, it was true. He was already weak from the shock, but above all from the sudden and enormous loss of blood. It was slick and warm beneath him, and cooling desperately fast. He felt it draining from him, and felt his life draining along with it. He had enough wit left to amuse himself with the thought that this sounded dreadfully melodramatic, but then he realised that it was probably true. He ignored the pain as best he could and returned to his musings.

He'd helped turn the tide of wars, had Hans von Junker; his most recent and possibly greatest coup though was the Affair of the Damaged Hat, which but last year had brought down the British Government and sent its ripples across the globe. Entirely bloodless. Masterful. He'd been personally honoured by the Kaiser for orchestrating the affair, and he smiled as he thought how, thanks to his cunning and in no small part thanks to his bravery, Agathe and his now grown children would live in honour and comfort.

No. He had known that this was coming soon. He'd been getting old. He should have taken the offer to stop all of this years go. It was a young man's job. He wondered what the other man was saying to him. He seemed quite pleased with himself, but for all von Junker's personal loss, it seemed to him, his side had won. The blueprints were on their way to Dover; soon the Kaiser would have them and then one day the most powerful navy in the world.

"You are von Junker, are you not?"

He opened his eyes. He didn't know it, but he saw the faces of William Wellington and Winston Smith look down upon him expectantly. Not for lack of English - his linguistic skills had been such an asset for so long - but now he couldn't make out what the Englishman said. He wondered about this for a moment. He closed his eyes again. He drifted back to Agathe's face, the eyes that he'd known for so long, he remembered Werner's and Gratia's faces, that he'd known since their births, for their whole lives. He saw Agathe's smile from the day they married. He would be happy if he never saw another thing.

"I say, you are Hans von Junker, are you not?"

His eyes stayed closed.

More than an hour later, von Hildebrand was speeding towards Dover in a car carrying his erstwhile companion's arm and the briefcase he'd sacrificed it for. He had barely three dozen miles left to travel before his rendez-vous with the new fangled contraption the Kaiser had ordered be sent as their means of escape.

This, of course, is unknown to our second band of intrepid gentleman adventurers, at whose vanguard is the brave Scot Thomas Wallace, heading a miniature column of heroic Black Watch highlanders. As they march on to face the enemy, he walks down the column, enquiring if any of the soldiers happen to have a bowling ball on a chain about their person. Oddly enough, one of them does, a private MacMurray, who proclaims himself proud to offer whatever assistance he can to one of the heirs of Wallace, even to go so far as to give up his favoured battle weapon.

The fearsome column marches on, mere minutes away from their destination, the air about them fouled by the majestic wrath of the drum and bagpipe, the sky seemingly rent apart as if being assaulted by the tartan god of war himself, the countryside about them shivering in frozen fear. By Wallace's reckoning, if the fisherman's directions are correct, they cannot be more than five hundred yards from their enemy.

Still in Dover, more heedful of decency and humanity than cold urgency, the famous duellist McGeenyton has wounds and captives to attend to. With him on one side and Link on the other, they manoeuver the severely wounded Hans von Papen about the silent streets of Dover until von Fersen, carefully watching over his unwounded prisoner, finds a hotel where he convinces the night porter to take care of their enemy and to seek recompense in London in a day or two.

Before they leave, McGeenyton offers the German tea one last time.

He accepts, and at McGeenyton's command the night porter brings them tea, although sadly there are no biscuits. They share a few minutes' truce and then the disparate band finish their refreshment, and, with the wounded von Papen propped up as comfortably as possible in a chair before the fireplace, they leave into the cold morning air.

Von Fersen, brandishing his shotgun, orders the remaining German to lead the way to where he is supposed to meet his conspirators. He obeys, no longer having a choice, and, accompanied by McGeenyton and Link, they set forth upon the path not so long ago travelled by Thomas Wallace.

As they walk, McGeenyton realises he has forgotten his own wound in his gentlemanliness, and has repaired neither his leg nor his suit. As he remarks upon this sorry fact to his peers, he meets with a stirring reply from von Fersen.

"Sirs, we go to war! We go to save your glorious nation of the King of Scotland and England! Shortly we will worry no more of our earthly attire, for we will be dressed in the glory of martial struggle and noble sacrifice! We will not worry for our corporeal wounds, for our inner hearts will be whole, and our gentlemen's wills bent upon the destruction of our foes! We will not feel the cold biting upon our own limbs, for our steel shall bite upon those of our enemies! We will not... We will not... bother... Anyway... Let us make haste. The hour is late. This brandy should do the trick for your leg old boy."

Not far behind Thomas Wallace and his imposing column, the three gentlemen and their prisoner make good time, their presence signalled in the wintry night by the crunch of their feet on the snow laden ground and the smoke of von Fersen's pipe in the cold laden air.

In London, Jenkinson jumps out of the car without turning off the ignition. He runs breathless up the stairs of Waterloo station where he spots the two gentlemen crouched around the body of the German spy.

"Sirs! I know that man! It is von Junker! You have had success then? Sir Melville has sent me. If you have the blueprints already we should collect the other fellows in Dover. It is a dreadful place; the quicker the better if you ask me. I say - let's go, we shall arrange for a constable to attend to this unfortunate man. Terribly cold tonight, what?"

Thomas Wallace Item Acquired!  Bowling Ball on a Chain.

Henry McGeenyton Items Acquired! Two Duelling Swords.
Gentlemanliness Increased! Offering Tea to One's Foe!

August Von Fersen Gentlemanliness Increased! Taking Care of the Defeated.

Winston Smith Gentlemanliness Increased! Particular Chivalry! Attempted Kindness to a Foe!
Trait Acquired! Fatally Bad Doctor! (-1 to Medic type rolls)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:08:53 pm by lawastooshort »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Thank MacMurray for it and vow to find him a new one. Also, Hurry towards the flying contraption before it leaves.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »

Plot recap.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50