Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36028 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2011, 05:30:45 am »

Slicing off an opponent's arms with a sword, from each upper arm, and then punching them in the upper body repeatedly until they collapse from the pain of blows they have no hope to guard is extremely satisfying to me in a deep way. Thank you, 'Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress, Adventure Mode'.
Haha!

...Hehehe.

...HA!

Ill be right back.  ;)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

chimp snapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2011, 07:47:57 am »

I've been using unarmed combat almost exclusively since I started playing adventure mode, always play hero and never get any companions so I get all the baddies to myself.  Personally I like to sneak around the whole area and work out where everything is then take out all the archers and crossbowmen first, staying hidden until they're all down. Usually I start with grabbing their weapon and throwing it at them point blank. If that fails I check for an opening on their hands for feet then shatter them with a strike. 

With bogeymen I switch to charge preference and knock them all down then bite both arms off each one and leaving them for dead it seems to work really well.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2011, 08:17:30 am »

I've been using unarmed combat almost exclusively since I started playing adventure mode, always play hero and never get any companions so I get all the baddies to myself.  Personally I like to sneak around the whole area and work out where everything is then take out all the archers and crossbowmen first, staying hidden until they're all down. Usually I start with grabbing their weapon and throwing it at them point blank. If that fails I check for an opening on their hands for feet then shatter them with a strike. 

With bogeymen I switch to charge preference and knock them all down then bite both arms off each one and leaving them for dead it seems to work really well.
Ill also suggest grabbing someones Weapon Hand, Breaking it, then Throwing them with it. It ensures They cant resist if things suddenly go bad.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

chimp snapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:08 am »

Does that really work? I could have sworn that I've broken both peoples arms before and they can still wield weapons even shoot bows. I could be mistaken..

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2011, 01:28:35 pm »

Does that really work? I could have sworn that I've broken both peoples arms before and they can still wield weapons even shoot bows. I could be mistaken..
That's what I was complaining about but if you break both hands by kicking or punching them hard enough them they will drop their weapon.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »

That's what I was complaining about but if you break both hands by kicking or punching them hard enough them they will drop their weapon.

You've got to tear their motor nerves or cut the arm off for them to drop the weapon, so blunt atacks arent really good for this, unless you get a lucky strike.

My tactic is to sneak on them and scrach their throats open/take their weapons and cut their throats open, if the weapon gets stuck in them i leave it, then reveal myself and tale on the rest of them unarmed for extra dorfines.

Assasins Creed style.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2011, 05:20:13 pm »

You've got to tear their motor nerves or cut the arm off for them to drop the weapon, so blunt atacks arent really good for this, unless you get a lucky strike.

My tactic is to sneak on them and scrach their throats open/take their weapons and cut their throats open, if the weapon gets stuck in them i leave it, then reveal myself and tale on the rest of them unarmed for extra dorfines.

Assasins Creed style.
Actually you can just shatter the bone, characters won't hold anything in a broken hand. They will however switch hands if they can so you have to break both. You have to have a pretty decent shot to actually break their hands though so you need to be a decent fighter.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2011, 05:37:01 pm »

As a tip, in the MLF mod, you get to play as any number of varying-sized intelegent equines. Remember all those tales of horses killing everything around them? Well, in this mod, you can train your pony/zebra/buffalo to utterly smash the living heck out of everything in sight. It gets even better when you play a caste with wings or horns.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »

Youre not Mistaken - But their Aim becomes Crap.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:14 pm »

In genesis I intentionally melt the flesh off my right hand by holding the fire arrows too long.

For the purose of being an evil martial artist who kills things with his skeletal fist.

That and to use fire arrows as melee weapons with near impunity.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2011, 08:26:30 am »

If you mod the neck to be a joint, you can grapple and break it. They drop their weapons and fall down, and will suffocate to death in a short time. I may have said this already in this thread or another one... I know somewhere I posted the raws change for that. It's awesome. :3
I'm not sure this works anymore, I've seen posts about it working in 40d but none in the current version.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:58 am »

Nope, it works. Trust me, I do it all the time on the latest release. :D Open the body_default in your raws, find [BODY:NECK], and replace the entire entry with this one (make sure to gen a new world afterward, it's easy to forget that step >.>):

Code: [Select]
[BODY:NECK]
[BP:NECK:upper spine:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][JOINT][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

Then you can break their neck by grabbing their head in wrestling. From my game log:

You slash The Human Lasher in the lower body with your steel short sword, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the spleen through the large chicken leather cloak!
The steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
You grab The Human Lasher by the head with your left lower arm!
The Human Lasher misses You!
You lock The Human Lasher's upper spine with Your left lower arm!
You bend The Human Lasher's head with Your left lower arm, tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A ligament in the upper spine has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Human Lasher loses hold of the bronze whip.
The Human Lasher falls over.
You release the grip of Your left lower arm from The Human Lasher's head.
You maintain possession of the steel short sword.
Human Lasher has bled to death.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2011, 08:56:37 am »

Nope, it works. Trust me, I do it all the time on the latest release. :D Open the body_default in your raws, find [BODY:NECK], and replace the entire entry with this one (make sure to gen a new world afterward, it's easy to forget that step >.>):

Code: [Select]
[BODY:NECK]
[BP:NECK:upper spine:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][JOINT][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

Then you can break their neck by grabbing their head in wrestling. From my game log:

You slash The Human Lasher in the lower body with your steel short sword, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the spleen through the large chicken leather cloak!
The steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
You grab The Human Lasher by the head with your left lower arm!
The Human Lasher misses You!
You lock The Human Lasher's upper spine with Your left lower arm!
You bend The Human Lasher's head with Your left lower arm, tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A ligament in the upper spine has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Human Lasher loses hold of the bronze whip.
The Human Lasher falls over.
You release the grip of Your left lower arm from The Human Lasher's head.
You maintain possession of the steel short sword.
Human Lasher has bled to death.
The step I forgot was actually spell check, my new laptop has a smaller keyboard and DF didn't understand what a [JOONT] was.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2011, 09:03:19 am »

^^^ I can see that happening. Ah, well. Enjoy the neck-snappin' goodness. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2011, 09:44:37 am »

^^^ I can see that happening. Ah, well. Enjoy the neck-snappin' goodness. :3
Fun fact: remove "Internal" from neck and instead of breaking it you tear out their spine.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:55:06 am by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17