Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36012 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2011, 09:18:41 pm »

I usually sneak up on people, and then get WRASSLIN! Break their legs, then  kick them to death. I'll usually use weapons when fighting groups or those beast guys, though.
Yeah - It really requires skill in Striking AND Kicking to be able to Unarmed Fight Groups. Striking for the Main Target, Kicking for anyone else who creeps up. And Wrestling for Sneaking. Its really hard to get a good Balance, and Specializing tends to just kinda happen :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:59 am »

Unarmed Combat's effectiveness is bittersweet. In adventure mode, anything that a bogeyman can survive will probably end in a fatality for you, so wasting turns trying to wrestle them will put you in far more danger than you will them for example. I've tried looooads of different unarmed fighters and they do pretty well actually, but only against plausible targets. Don't expect to be able to take serious things like megabeasts, at least not until you're badass. Overall I never exclusively use wrestling unless it's for the challenge, but it's always nice to use unarmed purely for amusement. Strikes and kicks in melee,whilst using weapons, I obviously do when it's logical, but doesn't everyone?
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2011, 10:26:02 am »

Unarmed Combat's effectiveness is bittersweet. In adventure mode, anything that a bogeyman can survive will probably end in a fatality for you, so wasting turns trying to wrestle them will put you in far more danger than you will them for example. I've tried looooads of different unarmed fighters and they do pretty well actually, but only against plausible targets. Don't expect to be able to take serious things like megabeasts, at least not until you're badass. Overall I never exclusively use wrestling unless it's for the challenge, but it's always nice to use unarmed purely for amusement. Strikes and kicks in melee,whilst using weapons, I obviously do when it's logical, but doesn't everyone?
Ive killed Megabeasts Unarmed - If You grab somethings Body, it practically ensures a Strike will Connect. Then just aim for its Center Mass or Legs, then try and finish on the Head.
I Killed a Bronze Collossus that way, once. Grabbed its Arm, Punched its Body and Head until it was dented to hell, then just focused on the Head. it took about 5-10 minutes, but its doable. With the right mindset.
Ive also wiped out Towns.
Ill mention this is right from the Get-Go. Ive never Power-Levelled Adventure Mode.

As for being Logical; Some folks prefer Swords. Or Spears. Or Maces. Or Unarmed. Or Knives. And so on. The Poll dictates that it is not the Majority who only do it out of necessity :)

EDIT: Also, Ambusher + Wrestling or Striking or Kicking can be quite Overpowered.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:34:26 am by Chilton »
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:13 pm »

Totally agree. Plus nothing makes you seem -more- like a bad ass then winning a fist fight with a giant. (( Or wrestle blinding a cyclops ))

I had one particularly awesome fight against an ettin where it rushed by me, collided with a tree and knocked itself over. Maimed it pretty good with scratching while it was stunned.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2011, 05:20:48 pm »

I aways mix it up. I love kicking people's brains out when they fall over or using wrestling moves to disable the enemy in some way before doing a final strike with my weapon. Wrestling is just too useful and fun to not use.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:13 pm »

One thing I think combat REALLY needs is Krav Maga style disabling. I can break a guys wrist but that doesn't cause him to drop his weapon, I can break his knee but he can stand on the leg just fine.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2011, 11:30:00 pm »

One thing I think combat REALLY needs is Krav Maga style disabling. I can break a guys wrist but that doesn't cause him to drop his weapon, I can break his knee but he can stand on the leg just fine.
Try experimenting a bit - Try and be Dynamic.
For example, I find that Kicking the Left Lower Leg with the Right Foot often causes a Foe to Fall Down.
And if You break a Wrist, release the Lock then Throw.

Think of it like; You Grab the Wrist, You Break the Wrist, then You Pull/Push them down. MAKE it work how YOU want it to :)

And as for the Weapon, You need to damage the Nerve or Tendon for them to drop their stuff.
Optionally, Punch the crap out of their Lower Body, then yank off their Weapon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2011, 11:40:32 pm »

For example, I find that Kicking the Left Lower Leg with the Right Foot often causes a Foe to Fall Down.

Think of it like; You Grab the Wrist, You Break the Wrist, then You Pull/Push them down. MAKE it work how YOU want it to :)

And as for the Weapon, You need to damage the Nerve or Tendon for them to drop their stuff.
I do all of those things but it feels kind of odd for joints not to interact with the rest of the body. Disarming or taking down a foe just doesn't feel very organic with the rest of combat.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:19 pm »

I've learned to let my opponents get a weapon stuck in me, then use it to kill them.
Especially those bloody bandit archers.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2011, 01:07:16 am »

I do all of those things but it feels kind of odd for joints not to interact with the rest of the body. Disarming or taking down a foe just doesn't feel very organic with the rest of combat.
Fair enough - It can be a bit obstructive to have to *make* it work, but I figure, the Combat System were using in the Latest Version is completely New. Its been Changed and Tweaked many times.
I cant say Id be blown away if the Body became more Reactive with the next Update, due to the revamping of several of the whole Body things.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2011, 04:57:58 am »

If you mod the neck to be a joint, you can grapple and break it. They drop their weapons and fall down, and will suffocate to death in a short time. I may have said this already in this thread or another one... I know somewhere I posted the raws change for that. It's awesome. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2011, 06:13:18 am »

If you mod the neck to be a joint, you can grapple and break it. They drop their weapons and fall down, and will suffocate to death in a short time. I may have said this already in this thread or another one... I know somewhere I posted the raws change for that. It's awesome. :3

Interestingly, I may have been the one who asked for the RAWs so I wouldnt have to Mod it in Myself - Im pretty sure it was You who posted that up.
I recall it quite clearly due to the interesting machinations that followed.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2011, 08:06:35 am »

Definitely going to do this, I've been trying a little personal use modding to make combat a little bit more flavorful with knee and elbow strikes with no luck- mainly because a modder I am not.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:42 am »

Definitely going to do this, I've been trying a little personal use modding to make combat a little bit more flavorful with knee and elbow strikes with no luck- mainly because a modder I am not.
Have You tried using some kind of sorcery to make a Kick = Takedown? Or some such sorcery. Im not even sure if thats possible.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2011, 05:12:47 am »

Slicing off an opponent's arms with a sword, from each upper arm, and then punching them in the upper body repeatedly until they collapse from the pain of blows they have no hope to guard is extremely satisfying to me in a deep way. Thank you, 'Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress, Adventure Mode'.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17