Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 35975 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:59 am »

Just curious.

Recently, ive been testing different Practical Fighting Methods, for when we get nice big Towns and Cities; Since personally i think that using Weapons at all times in such places may perhaps be impractical.
During which, i discovered how realistically effective Leg Kicks were.

Which led me to wondering how many of you Glorious Folks fight Empty Handed in DF.

Vote, Reply, Perform a Blood Ritual... Whatever it is you do :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:58:06 am »

Does throwing count? If so, I had an adventurer who wiped a human town by throwing the corpse of the town's childs at other people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:24 am »

Does throwing count? If so, I had an adventurer who wiped a human town by throwing the corpse of the town's childs at other people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suppose so  ;D
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:03 pm »

I don't usually use just one type of combat. Generally I pick up each fallen enemy's weapons, so I can open a fight by throwing several swords at my opponent. When I get close, I grab them by the throat and hammer them until they no longer possess a recognizable humanoid form. Wrestling is definitely a big part of my combat strategy, unless the enemy is too big to grab easily.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

-A_Dwarven_Bard-

• Bay Watcher
  • *plays a tune on Melbul Ottenshikes, a pine lute*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »

Lately I've been using wrestling exclusively. Though my only problem is fighting Bronze Colossi. Can't seem to get a grip on em.

Wonder how I would go about modding the game to play as a Bronze Colossus...
*-A_Dwarven_Bard-* has organized a party at your house!
Dwarf Fortress: Our evil things are f*@$ing adorable.
Adorable F@#$ing evil things: Target Practice

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:45 pm »

I'm rather fond of the weapon-shield one-two, so I rarely wrassle or punch, but I do like to open up a fight by throwing scavenged weapons/ammo/clothing/body parts and I'll kick when I need to.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:20:56 pm »

I love going captain america on people with just a sheild and wrestling/misc objects/throwing. Since even if I lost my sheild I could just beat people's heads in with their own helmet.

That being said, striking can and IS boss. I only wish that someone would modify knuckle dusters into the game. Since I can't remember if the weight of your gloves/boots effect overall preformance.

BEST SCENARIO - Punching some-one else's HAND and breaking it. Or landing a direct hit against the very unlikely targets like eyes/teeth/small toe.

the only real decision is, do you box like a gentleman, or kick like a mule?
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

I had one such character. A legendary kicker will one shot humanoids when kicked in the head most of the time. Wasn't really possible to kill a night creature without stabbing it a couple times first, however.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:53 am »

I love going captain america on people with just a sheild and wrestling/misc objects/throwing. Since even if I lost my sheild I could just beat people's heads in with their own helmet.

That being said, striking can and IS boss. I only wish that someone would modify knuckle dusters into the game. Since I can't remember if the weight of your gloves/boots effect overall preformance.

BEST SCENARIO - Punching some-one else's HAND and breaking it. Or landing a direct hit against the very unlikely targets like eyes/teeth/small toe.

the only real decision is, do you box like a gentleman, or kick like a mule?
Personally, ill use Hand Striking most of the time, supplemented by Leg Kicks and the occassional Takedown if someone gets a bit too fiesty. But i like to think of it like good old Pugilism - Where Throwing someone to the ground and Elbowing them in the Face was considered Boxing :)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:19 am »

I do enjoy modifying the raws so dwarven hands have a contact area of effectively 0 so they use their hands like whips. Nothing quite like chipping bones with your bare (bear amirite?) hands. Apart from that, changing size to ridiculous values and then throwing people is quite amusing.

When I play legitimately I tend to play as a swordsdwarf wrestler. I typically disarm all enemies and throw their own weapons into them if that counts. Breaking joints is another favourite.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:33 am »

Biting is the way to go. It's a sort-of-edged attack (I think it acts like a one-move souped up pinch) that transitions into a wrestling hold, and has a decent chance of tearing things off.... which then stick around in your mouth for easy throwing access.
It's also easy to level:

1) find monkey.
2) keep biting monkey's tail until satisfied with current level of biting.

I have a question for all you unarmed-combat folks. Throwing (live) creatures around is cool and all, but how does the timing work? I keep walking in front of the monkey I just threw*, while it's still in the air, and having it knock me over.

*yes, the same one I trained biting on. I named him "Chew Toy".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:28 am »

I once tried out a unarmed only character in genesis mod, I ended up killing something like 100 night creatures by mostly scratching or biting them until they bled to death- I tried strangling but it didn't work and head punching or kicking only rarely killed. Ended up dying to a yeti, things much bigger than you are always pretty nasty since being on the ground is such a disadvantage and avoiding being knocked down is tough.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:55:24 am »

Having a proficient or talented in striker and having a clear shot at a humanoid's head usually results in an insta-kill.  That's why I love making Muhammad Ali adventurers.  I also love wrestling.  It's so easy training it up, just switch your combat preference to close combat, find a prone or unconscious enemy, then just auto-attack them until you hit legendary. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:46 am »

I still haven't quite figured it out, but love supplementing my sword slashes and spear stabs with kicks and punches to various areas, and also grabbing a particularly dodgy foe to hold them still at least temporarily until my spear gets stuck in them.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »

I usually fight unarmed when getting revenge on villagers (throat biting ftw!). I also almost always use wrestling to disarm my opponent, because I rarely have decent armor. It also helps to stop them from dodging out of range.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17