Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602564 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4545 on: January 19, 2012, 05:31:58 pm »

Better than how Oblivion handled. I already gave my dig about how the quests sorta rush you along this is urgent you had better complete this ASAP and the difference in feel between this as the Morrowind style of "Yeah, go out and see the world for a little bit and get some experience."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: January 19, 2012, 05:36:40 pm »

The quests are not that much worse than the ones in the other games. Morrowind got a lot of apparent complexity for having to use directions and having text screens instead of voice acting. Besides that they have not really been any better. I also dig all the minor sidequests. It grants you a reason for exploring these dungeons and exploring parts of towns you would not normally have checked out yourself.

I just hate these misc. quests. It's a quality vs. quantity thing. I liked the complexity of quests too. You actually had to use your brain to do quests. Following the road and paying attention to road signs were important. Now a stupid marker shows you everything and you run or fast travel (which is like teleporting) straight to your target.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:15 pm »

The fast travel system in general is an odd thing. I can see the issue you raise with it, but on the other hand seeing my characters butt walking over the same stretch of road several dozen times to get places strikes me as a bad idea. Dunno how it'll hold up on modern systems.

Misc quests are also an odd thing. Seeing a dude just outside a vampire cave with some small quest to clear the inhabitants? Good idea. Makes the cave more meaningful besides a vampire romp. Some person asks you to deliver a letter or show the yarl a sword they made which you are paid a few-hundred gold for? It's an optional thing so I don't really care about them and they don't really bring down the overall quality. You did specifically ask them if you could do something to help them and accepted their request.

The quality feels a bit lower on the sequential story quests. Can't really plot down why. It's still basically going places, killing dudes and getting things. I'm tempted to side with the idea that the text handled the fluff a bit better than voice acting. You could get several-dozen paragraphs of exposition in where normally there would only be one or two voiced.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:49 pm »

The fast travel system in general is an odd thing. I can see the issue you raise with it, but on the other hand seeing my characters butt walking over the same stretch of road several dozen times to get places strikes me as a bad idea. Dunno how it'll hold up on modern systems.

levitation + boots of blinding speed = free fast travel
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:02 pm »

Comeon, that doesn't fit everyone.

There are better ways of fast traveling.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »

Or you could use the scrolls of icarian flight. Much more fun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4551 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »

levitation + boots of blinding speed = free fast travel
I'm really curious how you expect the boots to work when you're levitating off the ground. It's not a rocket engine.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

Morrowind physics(Although your speed in the air is dependent on the strength of the levitation effect soooooooooo...)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4553 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »

Oh right, sorry. I was thinking with my real brain. I forgot bethesdaphysics.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

Heh, I still remember the road from Balmora to Caldaria and to Seyda Neen. I walked that road so many times I memorized it unintentionally. I didn't know we could use the teleporters from Mages Guild back then. Morrowind's travel system wasn't that bad. You could fast travel from city to city by paying some septims. If you are really in a hurry you can use a scroll of icarian flight + slowfall spell.

The quality feels a bit lower on the sequential story quests. Can't really plot down why. It's still basically going places, killing dudes and getting things. I'm tempted to side with the idea that the text handled the fluff a bit better than voice acting. You could get several-dozen paragraphs of exposition in where normally there would only be one or two voiced.
Yeah, Morrowind can make you read dialogues for 20 minutes. Quests are always built on "kill that" and "bring that" idea. You just have to build some story on this idea. There are really a few quests that got me hooked. Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline was cool. A crazy guy tricked you into doing his dirty work. I enjoyed the quest where you took your revenge. I do quests just the clear my journal now.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »

In that same vein, if you do the civil war quests later on when you're level 25 or so the rewards don't scale. As my final thank you gift for helping the stormcloaks win I got... some scale armor. You know, the armor you can make at like blacksmithing 40 or buy from a shop for ~100 gold. Before that was a glass sword (unenchanted) and a glass sword with a 3 point fire enchant.

It's even worse sometimes. He told me I did a good job, and wanted me to take this blade. I received a dwarven shield.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:53 pm »

Bethesda apparently did originally anticipate dual-shielding didn't they?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4557 on: January 20, 2012, 08:00:13 am »

In that same vein, if you do the civil war quests later on when you're level 25 or so the rewards don't scale. As my final thank you gift for helping the stormcloaks win I got... some scale armor. You know, the armor you can make at like blacksmithing 40 or buy from a shop for ~100 gold. Before that was a glass sword (unenchanted) and a glass sword with a 3 point fire enchant.

It's even worse sometimes. He told me I did a good job, and wanted me to take this blade. I received a dwarven shield.
Hah!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: January 20, 2012, 10:42:31 am »

At first Cicero annoyed me the hell out. Then he kinda grew on me.I blames the voice acting!

Just the companions (Which I swear glitched on the Wuulthrad retriaval 'cause I've cleared driftshade before) and the thieves to go. I kinda like thieves.... Again blame the voice acting, Mallory rocks!

I'll do the rest of the main quest eventually...
Everybody!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4559 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:23 am »

I really want to join the anti-werewolf dudes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 896