Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602559 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4575 on: January 20, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »

There are about 4  powers in Tamriel now if I'm right... I think it was the Empire, The Aldmeri Dominion and... didn't Blackmarsh take control of...that other place...was it Morrowind they took? Unless that map was missing a ton of places...

Anyway, what do you guys think, would Skyrim under the Stormcloaks be able to hold off the dominion?

Everybody!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4576 on: January 20, 2012, 06:53:30 pm »

Anyway, what do you guys think, would Skyrim under the Stormcloaks be able to hold off the dominion?
In my opinion, Ulfric is an idiot too obsessed with glory and 'what is right' to handle the dominion. At least a united Empire could marshal the manpower to meet them head on.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: January 20, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

Yeah, the Imperials are no more Nazi than the Romans were... and the Romans were pretty un-Nazi-istic.
You mean aside from the whole killing anyone who they decided was wrong thing? Because they did, iirc. They civilized Rome through sword and slavery.
Yeah, everyone did that. You really can't side with anybody if that is a deal-breaker. You gotta look at the other factors. Like the Empire being incredibly lenient towards local cultures and beliefs. And the Aldmeri Dominion kinda wanting genocide of all man. And Ulfric not really caring that the only thing keeping his people from being genocided is the Empire. And that the Empire is trying its best to politically maneuver itself into a position to defend itself from the elves.

They gotta shut up Ulfric on the quick before they have to deal with his schenanegans and the elves at the same time. The whole beheading thing at the start doesn't really make me dislike them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:47 pm »

There are about 4  powers in Tamriel now if I'm right... I think it was the Empire, The Aldmeri Dominion and... didn't Blackmarsh take control of...that other place...was it Morrowind they took? Unless that map was missing a ton of places...

The argonians left the empire and took control of southern Morrowind (that would be mostly Dres land, which is swampy). Hammerfell is independent, having fended off the Dominion after the Empire abandoned them due to the concordat. The bosmer and khajiit were vassalized by the Dominion. So by the start of the game the Empire has only northen Morrowind, western Skyrim, Cyrodiil and High Rock (and, thus, Orsinium). So it's more like 5 powers.

The Dominion also nearly destroyed the then-mostly unified Empire, so Ulfric would stand no chance. The dossiers on the Thalmor embassy seems to confirm that they want draw out the civil war for as long as possible to weaken both sides.

And, as said above, Ulfric is an egocentric idiot that has no concept of neutrality or of the threat the Thalmor pose against all non-altmer.

On another topic, after some delving in dwemer ruins you kinda notice how sadistic the dwemer were (torture rooms, how they left the falmer, etc), something that wasn't so apparent in Morrowind.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:59 pm »

Yeah, the Imperials are no more Nazi than the Romans were... and the Romans were pretty un-Nazi-istic.
You mean aside from the whole killing anyone who they decided was wrong thing? Because they did, iirc. They civilized Rome through sword and slavery.
Everyone does that...

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: January 20, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »

Has anyone figured out a reliable way to make NPCs sleep? My vampire can't enter towns anymore because noone in all of skyrim ever sleeps.

I even waited outside of a sawmill for three days while the owner stood around staring at his house, without moving, for three days. What the shit man...

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: January 20, 2012, 07:50:31 pm »

You can ask your follower to sleep in a bed.

Most NPC's won't move at all when you wait, they need a moment to recheck their schedule when you're done. You best bet is to hang around between 4 and 6 am and give everyone time to move around.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:01 pm »

.I mean, none of the companions maul anyone who isn't a nameless bandit or whatever. Well, that we know of.

First night after the ritual. They set a freshly transformed werewolf upon their hometown for no discernable reason, possibly just for shits and giggles.

And, as said above, Ulfric is an egocentric idiot that has no concept of neutrality or of the threat the Thalmor pose against all non-altmer

Not just non-Altmer either. They literally want to undo the world.

.On another topic, after some delving in dwemer ruins you kinda notice how sadistic the dwemer were (torture rooms, how they left the falmer, etc), something that wasn't so apparent in Morrowind.

Can't help but feel this is just another symptom of Beth's current trend of portraying every non-player race as EVIL though.
Love, scriver~

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »

.On another topic, after some delving in dwemer ruins you kinda notice how sadistic the dwemer were (torture rooms, how they left the falmer, etc), something that wasn't so apparent in Morrowind.

Can't help but feel this is just another symptom of Beth's current trend of portraying every non-player race as EVIL though.
I think we can chalk up the Dwemmer thing as being the Skyrim Dwemmer. Different architecture and beliefs than their Vvardenfell cousins. Granted they had a god-heart to dick around with instead of a race of elves.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4584 on: January 20, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »

Everyone does that...
Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. I know everyone does that.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:25 pm »

I mean, none of the companions maul anyone who isn't a nameless bandit or whatever. Well, that we know of.

First night after the ritual. They set a freshly transformed werewolf upon their hometown for no discernible reason, possibly just for shits and giggles.
There's also the fact that they claim to follow the tradition of the five-hundred (or thereabouts) companions of Ysgrammor, who returned to Skyrim to end meric rule and seal KINMUNE.  Yet Talos worship is banned, the Aldmeri Dominion acts freely in Skyrim, and KINMUNE is not only unsealed but nearly stolen by the Thalmor.  Having quests about these could have provided some much needed integration for Skyrim's background and faction quests, such as companion quests about sabotaging the Thalmor's influence in Skyrim.  Bethesda did a great job of setting the the Thalmor up as an enemy the playerbase loves to hate and had two factions motivated to act against them, and instead what we got was a bunch of self-centered werewolves and a group of generic fantasy dragonslayers.  They could also be tied into the college questline by having a quest where the player consults the companions on the lore surrounding Ysgrammor at Saarthal, which would resolve the issue that the questline is a complete non-sequitur unless you've been keeping up with MK's forum posts.

And, as said above, Ulfric is an egocentric idiot that has no concept of neutrality or of the threat the Thalmor pose against all non-Altmer
Not just non-Altmer either. They literally want to undo the world.
Erasing Talos and removing Man should undo Lorkhan's treachery, freeing the Aedra and restoring divinity to the Altmer (Bosmer, Khajiit, Dunmer, Orsimer and Falmer are up to debate), so it is mainly a problem for non-Altmer.

On another topic, after some delving in dwemer ruins you kinda notice how sadistic the dwemer were (torture rooms, how they left the falmer, etc), something that wasn't so apparent in Morrowind.
It's worse than that.  It seems that everyone in the province of Skyrim who lives outside of a town is not only chaotic evil but feels an overwhelming desire to attack any passerby, no matter how dangerous this proposition is or how little profit they would make from it.  I liked how in Morrowind I'd often find caves with mages who just wanted to be left alone, and how you could talk to the vampire clans.  Instead, Todd Howard thought we'd get bored in Skyrim if our screen wasn't splattered with strawberry jam every five minutes from murdering some nameless goon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »

To be fair Morrowind has its share of hostile mages and impenetrable vampire lairs. And at least some bandits warn you to scram and only attack if you approach them. Some of the wilderness factions do need to be cleaned up a bit, like the wild mages and such. I did encounter friendly vampires in the wilderness, so there is something funky out there.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:52 pm »

I'm not 100% the Eye of Magnus is directly related to KINMUNE.

I mean, yes, the coincidence is too IMPOSSIBLY LARGE to ignore, and it probably is, but...

oh hell it's a better explanation than anything else we'll ever get :P

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: January 20, 2012, 09:48:54 pm »

I'm not 100% the Eye of Magnus is directly related to KINMUNE.

I mean, yes, the coincidence is too IMPOSSIBLY LARGE to ignore, and it probably is, but...

oh hell it's a better explanation than anything else we'll ever get :P

What's the KINMUNE? UESPwiki has nothing, and it would be neat to get some kind of understanding, no matter how small or far-fetched, about what the hell the College of Winterhold quests were all about...
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:18 pm »

Huh? First I heard of KINMUNE, whatever that is. But anyway, it seems to me that you should be able to try and become high jarl yourself in the stormcloak questline. Like maybe if they made it so you had to have a Shouting match with Ulfric or something. That would have been fun.  :( It just seems to me that they could have done a lot more with the Stormcloak questline.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 896