Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289541 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #3390 on: September 25, 2011, 06:35:42 pm »

I think trade just needs some reworking. Back at the medieval/renaissance times, the richest merchants had about as much money as the lesser nobles. In this game, merchants can have more money than kingdoms in only a few years.

In this setting Merchants can easily become lesser nobles simply by having money, I mean would royal blood even mean anything in the storm coast? Besides like DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS!?
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 25, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »

....No.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 25, 2011, 06:49:00 pm »

....No.

Depends on how free the trade is and taxes.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

So, what kind of character are you guys going to make?

I'm thinking about a noble, probably a sailor (he'd rule over some port)... Loyal, ambitious and honorable. In that order.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:28 pm »

I thinks its obvious what I'm going to be. Well, the first part anyway.

Hat_u_i  M_r_e_ar_

....Should we make a thread now?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:37 pm »

So, what kind of character are you guys going to make?

I'm thinking about a noble, probably a sailor (he'd rule over some port)... Loyal, ambitious and honorable. In that order.

I assume someone rules in your place most of the time.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 25, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »

The trade system is downright broken.  If I were writing the rules for the next game (which I might, if whatever Head GM takes over wants me to - I find it less creatively draining to balance mechanics for some reason, and can usually do it in a short period of time) I would abstract trade into 'trade routes' and put them down at the simplicity level of businesses.

Off the top of my head, I would have something like: You set up a trade route at so much cost, then every season there is a roll to see if it is out-competed or the route dries up/becomes saturated.  If not, you get income.  The route would presumably automatically pay for itself after X seasons.  The important thing would be to keep it on par with land ownership - until the industrial revolution, land remains the biggest earner and is the whole reason for the power and wealth of the nobility.

Oh, and definitely increase ducats 1000fold.  Just makes for an easier smaller roleplaying change people could keep track of if they wanted.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: September 25, 2011, 07:04:58 pm »

So did Micelus send you the message about the Vadud(ium)((Kain's family)) family curse?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:08:59 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 25, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »

The trade system is downright broken.  If I were writing the rules for the next game (which I might, if whatever Head GM takes over wants me to - I find it less creatively draining to balance mechanics for some reason, and can usually do it in a short period of time) I would abstract trade into 'trade routes' and put them down at the simplicity level of businesses.

Off the top of my head, I would have something like: You set up a trade route at so much cost, then every season there is a roll to see if it is out-competed or the route dries up/becomes saturated.  If not, you get income.  The route would presumably automatically pay for itself after X seasons.  The important thing would be to keep it on par with land ownership - until the industrial revolution, land remains the biggest earner and is the whole reason for the power and wealth of the nobility.

Oh, and definitely increase ducats 1000fold.  Just makes for an easier smaller roleplaying change people could keep track of if they wanted.

Trade is hard to do in "pen and paper" games, we don't have a lot of big computers.. computing..

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 25, 2011, 07:10:06 pm »

I will be Troek Drefond, a travelling freelance executioner.
He wanders from city to city dressed in black leather armour, with a bag over his head and with his large axe.
Or something like that. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: September 25, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »

So did Micelus send you the message about the Vadudium family curse?

Oh yes.  I'll reveal it all here, anyway.

The big secret was that the Hatcuri were the original race of the world (Iitu, I guess?).  Several thousand years previous, a wizard emperor of the hatcuri created a slave race out of apes (humans) to serve them.  This went well for a thousand years or so before the emperor died, humanity rebelled and were slaughtered virtually to a man, save for a few thousand that escaped on ships to continents across the ocean.  Enough time has now passed that only the hatcuri remember humanity's origins, and even then it is a somewhat shameful secret of the high religious castes.

The Vadud line was created by the hatcuri overlord as a longer-lived version of the slaves, on par with his own extended lifespan but weak enough for him to control directly.  Their purpose was to act as a buffer between hatcuri and humanity, on the level of foremen or slavedrivers.  Those Foremen that escaped with the surviving rebels were the foundation of the Vadud line.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 25, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

Racial superoirity over humanity for the win! No wonder Kain's family has been around to opress people.
Plus the darkness and cruelty fits.
Bloody awesome.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:18:04 pm by filiusenox »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 25, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »

Yeah, sorry about not telling everyone about it but I thought some people wouldn't want to learn a spoiler.

So do we a consensus on a GM yet? We really need someone to be GM before anything else. I could do a moderate job, but I would prefer someone with skill.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 25, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

If someone is creating an epilogue for You Are King, can I make a small request?

I'd like to see Erik's end be a tragic one, with all of Elbreth breaking apart after his death. I was pretty much always hoping something horrible would happen so he could go mad with grief and just tear the country apart with one bad decision after another or something.
I guess the chaos isn't necessary, but I'd like his end to be a noble and tragic one. If possible (if it isn't, that's cool. I'm sure whoever writes it will do a great job. You're all very creative writers.)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 25, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

I'll write it up if you'll let me, you probably won't.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:09:45 pm by filiusenox »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 634