Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 12682 times)

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:22 pm »

He's still posting elsewhere, so not sure what's up.  It seems like it ought to be Cam94509's turn, then.  I'd rather this fortress didn't die, so maybe after Cam has taken his turn we can talk about continuing in a new thread if V-Norrec hasn't come back?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

Sounds good to me.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff

ok
shff.wordpress.com

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would love a turn! I'm very new to DF and this succession would suit me well.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cam hasn't answered me yet - any objections to letting Rosareven just take the turn and go?

Masihaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to take a turn after rosareven and also a dwarfing if you please. No preference on job type as long as it isn't something useless like a fish dissector.

And might I add this looks to be a wonderful succession fortress despite it's label as "a noobish attempt." It seems to be hitting quite the ideal balance between success and everything going to hell (aka fun).

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to take a turn after rosareven and also a dwarfing if you please. No preference on job type as long as it isn't something useless like a fish dissector.

And might I add this looks to be a wonderful succession fortress despite it's label as "a noobish attempt." It seems to be hitting quite the ideal balance between success and everything going to hell (aka fun).

Don't worry, everything will go noobish once I take over.

According to the first page of this thread, you can dwarf yourself if you're going to take a turn. Unless you want me to surprise you?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry 'bout that, been real busy at work.  I've been meaning to catch back up on this ish.  Anywho, Rosareven get to it :P

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm downloading the save. Is there a naming convention with the save file? At the moment it is WeatheredCastle-559, would my upload be 560?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I named mine Year 0, so I have no idea how it got to there :P  Name it whatever you want.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So there I was, as a simple happy farmer and spare brewer of WeatheredCastle, I wandered down the hallway with every other scrambling dwarves trying to find some food some where in this big place. I still get lost every now and then and don't remember where the food stock was. I guess it is fortunately that I know how to cook and I can kind of fix that problem anywhere...

Eh? A noble's room has been left open... What's that on the table? Floor plans? Aha!! So this huge chunk of area is where all the food has gone to! "Less mess"? What does that mean... And more food!... Jewelers go here? What's relay stocks?

As I was giving in my full curiosity with these floor plans, I was taken surprise by a dwarf that stormed right in, and just as I was about to cite the classy "I didn't do it", the dwarf just started saying something in somewhat urgent tone:

Dwarf: "Overseer! Our ore supply is running out at the magma forges and the smelters need more hauled their way!"

Me: "Uh... I..."

Dwarf: "Also! May I ask what the empty space behind the gem stock pile is for? I might set myself up a food pile there so I don't have to keep running up here."

Me: "Uh uh uh... Well according to this floor plan, it says that's reserved for jewelers..."

Dwarf: "Oh curs- I mean! That's good! Now if you'll excuse me while I go for a drink. If you can send more dwarves with ore to the magma forges that would be wonderful."

The dwarf stormed out, leaving me in utter confusion. How am I going to tell others to do that as a simple farmer? I haven't even been down that hell hole that is the magma forge! Well may be I don't even look like a farmer, since that dwarf was totally mistaken, that or he was in fact blind and has been using his smell senses, but wouldn't he be able to smell the plumb helmet on me? Oh well, I guess I'll help after I get some food. Orders at the farm have been slow lately and I was told to do more brewing instead.

I took the floor plans with me to locate the precious food pile, but after a few pieces of meat, curiosity got a hold of me again and told me to explore further down... to the magma forges. Who knows, may be I can ask an able dwarf or two on the way to help me out with whatever's down there.

As I walked down the long stairs I stumbled into several interesting things that I don't normally notice...

^ He's eating on the golden throne! He must be someone very important. Best not to disturb him.

Link to the image because it's too long
^ Passed by the graveyard and somehow saw this...

As I finally arrived at the magma forge, a different dwarf chased after me from the stairs above and suddenly stood in front of me, looking urgently at me more so than the other dwarf.

Uh uh uh, what? I uh... I have no idea what we need from anyone outside our walls... But of course I didn't say that to avoid any trouble and I just quickly dismissed him by saying that we don't need anything from them. Shortly after another dwarf brought in some document, saying that I should look over them...

Um... okay... I just nod with a smile and the dwarf wandered off. That usually gets me away from other fellow dwarven kind, well the ones without cleaver in their hands.

I started wander around the magma forge, admiring the magnificence and trying not to be too amazed to reveal that I know nothing about my fellow dwarven pride. With the floor plans in hand, the metalworkers actually thought I was the overseer and started scrambling after me about their low ore stock. I calmed them down and said I'll get onto it. By the Blood God, overseer's job sure is tough. I'm glad I'm just a simple farmer... well as soon as I get out of this situation smoothly.

I came to the corner where a floor plan says "Jewelcrafters go here". With outmost humbleness I asked a nearby dwarf to help build two jewelcrafter workshops in that corner. He immediately darted away for a granite boulder as if my words were a cracking whip, and very quickly put together two elaborate workshops just as I said, then stood aside obediently awaiting for more orders. Wow, it feels really awkward indeed....

He seemed to notice I'm new to overseer or something (I shouldn't even be here!!), and politely asked if I want any tasks assigned for the jewelcrafters. Jewelcrafters cut gems right? He said yeah, so I was like... I don't know, ah hell, CUT EVERYTHING

I turned back to the main magma forges area. A smelter saw me and immediately sulked away. May be he didn't like me? Or may be he smelled the plumb helmet on me and knew I'm not an overseer?

Without a word he took over a magma forge in the area and started piling said forge with random metal bars that he rummaged up from the metal stock pile, then disappeared up the stairs. I have no idea what's going on anymore. I just want to go back to the still now... I think I need more drink.

As I was about to put the floor plans back to where they were, I noticed something else: a to-do list, and more floor plans with no annotation. Apparently there has been a task assigned for the miners to dig very deep beneath us, even deeper than where the magma forges currently are, but somehow the stairs were never finished.

I carefully followed each page of the floor plan, trying to find the reason why they stopped digging down there...

!?

HOLEH 'ELL

That'd explain why it was never done.

As I went through those pages of floor plans I also noticed a dig site in progress just west of the magma-flooded stairs. Apparently adamantite was found there, but as I looked up the levels I understood why it wasn't finished ... The miners are either going to need a walled up road built for them across the dangerous caverns, or have dedicated bodyguards to protect the miners from the beasts down there.

I put down the papers. Overseer is such a crazy job. May be that's why we haven't seen our current one?

As soon as I left the empty room, rumors of more migrants' arrival were heard, then I also caught words of the dwarf who claimed that magma forge and ran away from me - apparently he made an artifact! I would have seen the glory if I was still down there, but I realised how I loved my simple farmer life...

---

It hasn't even been one season, but I think I'm not capable enough to take on a full year management on a succession game yet. I was simply overwhelmed and I spent the last 2 hours looking through the entire fortress. My DF experience just hasn't made it to a fortress this size yet D=

As you can tell, not much has happened other than one artifact and new migrants. The next seer can either start from my save or skip my turn entirely to start from the previous. Sorry about this =(

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you all still using my wonky numbers for nicknames organizational thingy?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I see in Therapist, it stopped at 002 and I think there're vaguely half of them are numbered.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool =)

Masihaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, it's my turn then? I thought rosareven was doing a good job but if you don't want to continue then I'll get started and post an update sometime this weekend.

I'll probably start from from your save since you were less than a month in and just finish out the year. I've dorfed an axedwarf since I think I'll be focusing on outfitting and building up the military as well as raising the stature of the fortress.

I must say Varnifane has made it easy on me.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13