Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 12694 times)

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2011, 02:08:09 am »

This Fortress is quite fun!! :D
At least there are no more 100 idlers doing nothing.
Will there be any migrants?
Looks like meeting hall needs some engraving done.
Do you use the throne room what Bleakea constructed?
I remember that i ordered construction of some 30 thrones and 30 tables..
shff.wordpress.com

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:58 am »

This Fortress is quite fun!! :D

You have no idea

Will there be any migrants?

Yes, we actually had a migrant wave in the spring.

You mean the giant empty room with a single chair that has a collapsible ceiling? Not yet.
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:48 am »

You mean the giant empty room with a single chair that has a collapsible ceiling? Not yet.

I was actually imagining it as a throne under one of those giant ornate roofs a-la the Peacock Throne, but of course this is Dwarf Fortress and if you can't rig the King's throne to crush him into jelly at the flip of a switch, then what's the point?

I noticed the dwarves have a tendency to go in there and eat their lunch sometimes, seated in the bejeweled golden throne, leaving seeds and crap all over my nice solid gold floor. -_-

I remember that i ordered construction of some 30 thrones and 30 tables..

I used those up in the dining room, and I also built some fancy two-room apartments with a bed in the rear room, and a table and chair in the front room.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:01:02 am by Bleaktea »

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »

Because I am something of a Failcannon fanboy, if such a thing can exist, and because I am really bored at work today, I present the following totally non-canon thingy.  Spoilered because it turned out really stupidly long.

{ From the journals of the Royal Architect }

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:11:59 pm by Bleaktea »

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:53 pm »

I have met, at last, the spirit that was haunting this place - maybe not a spirit, more of an echo, of something happening somewhere far away.  The sound of footsteps.  A herald.

Actually, you being haunted is entirely canon. Dzha loved hanging out with you. I think he's moved on to Realmfighter though.

Also, I think it's actually impossible to get rid of him. I couldn't find his name on the "engrave memorial slab" listing anywhere and he atom smashed his own body with that bridge.

(I really need to go back and type out the story more once I quit being pissed at this fort for throwing 100+ goblins and a spiral at me)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:46:00 pm by Dyg »
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »

I'll have a go at overseer.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »

I'll have a go at overseer.

I think that puts you at the top of the list unless v-norrec wanted a turn to reintroduce clear glass item mandates himself to the fortress.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:17 pm »

Actually, you being haunted is entirely canon. Dzha loved hanging out with you. I think he's moved on to Realmfighter though.

THAT SLUT.  I mean, uhm, at least I've made a friend.

(I really need to go back and type out the story more once I quit being pissed at this fort for throwing 100+ goblins and a spiral at me)

Looking back on it, I think the reason I got no sieges was because the game was still trying to clear out Aspuz before it would trigger any new invaders.  So as long as he was stuck in the trap, I was safe.  Depending on how goblin attacks work, though, you may have just gotten the backlog of goblins that built up during my turn, that were unleashed once Dzha got himself vaporized for the common good.

And I totally ignored V-Norrec, other than to give him that extra chest or whatever he kept whining about.  So the tantrum spiral is probably my fault too.  My gift to you, I guess.

No, wait - evil spirits did it.  Totally.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:05 am »

Okies. It'll be done by the end of the weekend.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:11 am »

Quick notes for you:
A few of the puppies grew into dogs near the end of my turn. If you want to train them as war dogs (of which we have 30 of in a cage out front that is linked to a very obvious lever) one of the dwarves destroyed the kennel, so just build your own.
Some of the front gates traps were destroyed by tantrum throwers, so consider replacing/upgrading them.
Do not access any of the cavern levels until we have an invincible army on standby. We have seven or eight forgotten beasts hanging out down there.
The mayor position is currently cursed. Every dwarf that's been elected to it goes insane within a month from people yelling at him. At least it's a good way to get rid of babbling dwarves.
The legendary coffin deserves to be my tomb. Make it so.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:35:12 am by Dyg »

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:15 am »

Fix'd
The legendary coffin deserves to be my replacement's tomb. Make it so.

Will do =P

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2011, 08:12:52 pm »

Okies. It'll be done by the end of the weekend.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:49 pm »

Strange weekend.

I'm on it now and will have an update up in a few hours.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2011, 11:34:04 pm »

Walking up to the fortress it looks to be in a good spot, with a brook that provides fresh water and can double as a power source for the enterprising dwarf. There is a dense forest that has yet to be chopped down and many types of brewable plants. Couple this with the black sand and bauxite I see all around this is an amazing place to start a fortress.

As I come to the gate I see a tortuous path lined with weapon traps forming what is called a dodge-me trap that causes the unintelligent goblins to jump into a deep chasm rather than…wait a minute… that’s… not… a… very big fall. As a matter of fact there are children jumping from the path into the room below, and landing safely on the goblin corpse strewn about the room. Hmmm…

Here we go, the courtyard looking around I see a garbage dump. That’s expected. Next  Isee a carefully marked sockpile that seems a little cluttered. Walking up to check the manifest I see that this place is designed to accept almost anything. Interesting, must be a backup dump area. And now to the trade… Well there’s the reason the forest is still intact: elves and they’re bloody chumming around with them. I choke back a little vomit and decide to head inside, but what way shall I go? There are a few choices so I’ll take the one on the left.

After walking around a bit and finally getting introduced to the outgoing overseer.

You were expecting me? Good. Do you know why I came? Good. So this is what I see: a fortress in a prime location whose leaders have lost the plot. Do you remember why you came here in the first place?... Do you remember what it means to be a dwarf? Is that a tear? Feckin elf.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »

I'm dorfing Zuglar Edember, a dwarf with no particular talent.

My plans for this year are as follows:
  • Cover the entry courtyard
  • Set up a danger room
  • Move the metal industry down to the magma
  • Increase the dwarven happiness coefficient
  • Get rid of the ghosts
  • Train up another 20 military dwarves
I've pored over the fortress for the last 90 minutes and have undesignated almost all of the stockpiles and stopped all food production (farming and fishing) since we have more than a year of booze more than seven years of food and enough plants to brew another season or two worth of drink. The brewery and kitchen are still active to bring down the raw plant/meat/fish supply. When I get below 500 drink I'll start the farms up again, and I'll build some plots on the (covered) surface to grow all of the surface crops that were designated (and not growing) in the subterranean plots.

Once I find the levers and figure out what they do I'll unpause and get going.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13