Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 12699 times)

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2011, 01:06:55 am »

Moved the laptop so that playing no longer gives me a terrible backache, so a few more entries:

Timber 1st,

Something stirs in the depths.  I knew we shouldn't have touched the adamantine.  I am suddenly very glad I sealed off the caverns months ago.

Timber 15th,

Construction has been moving ahead on my project, but today a bone doctor was possessed by something.  We'll see what he creates, and if it fits into my theory.

Timber 22nd,

A beautiful silver figurine of Queen Luckyceilings!  Three possessions by craft spirits in a row, three artifacts showing coronations.  It is a prophecy, it must be - what else could it mean?  The line of dwarven kings is not broken; there is one left, and he is coming.  I must make this place ready for him.

Date obscured,

I was woken up tonight to be told that another monster now haunts the deeps - more importantly, it's in the water somewhere.  This most likely means it has polluted the underground lake and we will not be able to use it in the future.  Not that we should enter those caverns while these monsters inhabit them.

Granite 1st, 557

It is finished, and just in time.  My first, and only, royal creation - until this day my title, passed to me from my father and his father's father, has been little more than a sad joke.  Royal architect to kings who are dead and buried.

In the days of the kingdom, my father was Royal Architect - it was his proud duty to design and oversee the construction of the manors and tombs of the royal family.  While he was overshadowed by the genius of some of his ancestors, his works still had the grandeur you would expect from the kings of the dwarves.  But bad crops and goblin raids took their toll on the capital, and the power of the royal family was broken.  In the end, a bad winter settled over the city, the food ran out, and famine claimed the entire royal family and nearly everyone in the mountainhome.

My mother and I had been sent away to an outpost a few years earlier, so that I could learn the basics of stonework away from the distracting opulence of the royal palace.  In the end, this saved my life - but not my father's.  He died with the queen, and his title - now empty and useless - passed to me.  For thirty years I have lived with a family legacy I could never fulfill... until now.

I have built a throne worthy of a king.  It will be another's job to find him and welcome him to Weatheredcastle, but when he arrives, there will be seat worthy of him waiting.

In other news, a jewelcrafter began some kind of secret fey-inspired project.  He hasn't finished it yet; I'm hoping it's better than a pine bracelet.

I also discovered that a previous overseer had left a standing order for coffins to be built... and I never ended that order.  We have over a hundred and fifty coffins now.  That's enough to bury every single dwarf in the fortress.  I asked the masons, kindly, to please stop making coffins, the giant stacks of them in the storeroom are really starting to give everyone the creeps.

{ FILE HERE.  There was other stuff I wanted to write but I'm not used to this keyboard and it's kind of a pain to write much with.  Nothing much happened on my turn.  Did someone turn off invasions?  Because I got nothing on my turn; no amushes, no sieges, not even a snatcher or a thief. }

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2011, 01:23:22 am »

We ran out of coffins, what can I say.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:35 pm »

Invasions should all be on, you're just lucky I guess. :)

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »

We ran out of coffins, what can I say.

Heh.  I'd done a sweep through the workshops when I started and tried to catch any repeating jobs, but somehow I missed the one mason's workshop where this was being done.  It does explain why, whenever I dug out a new area inside the fortress, a mason would show up and run off with some of the stone.  At the time I figured there was a stone stockpile somewhere that needed filling up; little did I know they were in fact building a monument to death out of boxes.

Also, when I went looking for the second FB, I couldn't find the first FB at all.  I think, because it was just a mud blob, the troglodytes must have killed it. Or maybe I just missed it, or it wandered into an unexplored area.

Oh, and the goblin lasher still lives.  I meant to just pump water into the hole and drown him, but I got distracted with bedrooms and tombs and throne rooms and other miscellany and never did it.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:15 pm »

At this point we should just keep him and throw any kobolds we catch down there for his enjoyment.
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:50 pm »

Watch as he keeps them and trains them as pets.

Then, when the inevitable occurs and the bridge is destroyed he and his Kobolds will swarm the fortress with rage and unhitability. DROWN HIM. DROWN HIM BEFORE HE CAN SPELL YOUR DOOM.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2011, 09:26:21 am »

Every proper lair needs a self-destruct mechanism, and he is ours.  Pull lever, release godlike doomgoblin into the center of the fortress, then sit back and enjoy the carnage.

Am I supposed to send Dzha a message about it being their turn?  I may have forgotten to do that.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:43 am »

Nah, I did it already, not sure what is keeping him.

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »

After Bleaktea Akrulnakas the Royal Architect retired, it was quite the surprise who he left the overseeing of the fort to  - Uzulzuban the herbalist. A dwarf with no prior experience running such big outposts. Hope he will rule wisely.. for his sake and the fortreses...

Granite the 1st, 557

This is how the previous overseer left things..

I hope i will be up for the task at hand.. Uzulzuban mumbled to himself..
Looks like our stocks are doing fine and there will be no shortage of boose or food this year..

Granite the 2nd, 557

Looks like Mestthos has finished his great.. Pipe opal bracelet with an image of a masterfully prepared roast?? The roast must have been quite something..

Granite the 14th, 557

I have enlisted my self in the military, perhaps it is suicidal, but this is one thing that each dwarf must do in his lifetime, risk his life for the benefit of the whole community.

I have started the construction of my personal quarters.

Granite the 18th, 557

Oh hell i forgot!! I need to get acquainted to the levers before an ambush or siege happens..
Hope that something will not go horribly wrong..

Granite the 21s, 557

I have a bad feeling about this lever..
Ok.. the military is in its position.

:o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granite the 25th, 557

This was my first attempt at a succession fort, and it looks like i will not have time to finish it so i will leave it as it is for someone to take over from here if he wants.
Looks like my reign is over and WeatheredCastle is in need of a new overseer who is much better then Uzulzuban the herbalist.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0RSO7OVU

shff.wordpress.com

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »

Downloading. Should I go until the end of his year, a year after he left off, or the end of what would be my year?

Also:

WHY IS THE MEDIC IN THE KITCHEN?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:45:37 pm by Dyg »
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011, 04:16:36 pm »

It's best if you don't question these sort of things.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2011, 04:24:09 pm »

Poor Dzha, overseer for four weeks and then gets himself crushed by a drawbridge while unleashing the Godblin.

Good to see Aspuz put up a worthy fight.  Whipped a guy's brain clean out of his skull as his first move - not bad.  There will be a special place at the bottom of the garbage pit for him.  And his leg.  And his arms.

Also, the medic: have you seen the pile of organ-meats that constitutes food in this fortress?  Honestly, cooking in the kitchen is the best anatomy lesson he will ever get.

... wait, medic?  Do we even have a hospital?  I know I never built one.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2011, 04:36:12 pm »

... wait, medic?  Do we even have a hospital?  I know I never built one.

That would explain the guy walking around with a damaged spine.

I can actually understand this fortress. What the hell have you people been doing?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:41:47 pm by Dyg »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:45 pm »

It was either build random untitled levers that may or may not spell doom for the entire fortress or make sure everyone didn't die because they starved to death due to the fact that there was a goblin chilling on top of the door.

I regret my decision more every day.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:15 pm »

Allow me to describe my entire first season as overseer in two words: Fuck miasma.

I'm really just sitting here playing "atom smash the hell out of everything that can rot" to get it under control (Even caged animals, mainly because we have 500 of them). Meanwhile Norrec's over there throwing a tantrum about how no one ever fulfills his mandates, one of his friends died and then was left to rot, and the great indecency of someone having a better room than him. Ah well, at least he has a new room and burial plot.

Actually. I take that back, let me go back to boredom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:27:39 pm by Dyg »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13