Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239582 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1530 on: December 27, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »

But Lion isn't too far behind that burst and will end up doing more damage in single combat anyway via autoattacks while hex'd. He also has a much easier laning phase, has an easier to land stun, and Hex is one of the best disables in the game.
but he need lvls, solo levels and he sucks in lane
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 27, 2012, 04:39:02 pm »

Lion is really good in lane... Like, crazy good. His mana drain is obscene. In fact, I'd say he's kinda crappy in a teamfight unlike Lina. It's just minor things here and there but here's my observations:

1. Lion is a close range hero. Lina is long range. Notice how close (relatively) Lion has to be to cast his spells compared to Lina who can stun and burst from a great distance away. This makes it far, FAR easier to survive as Lina compared to Lion; who by all intents and purposes is melee ranged and dead if a teamfight turns bad. A hero with similar effective range as Lion would be Bane.

2. Lion is mostly single target. Aside from his stun, which is pretty challenging to land on a good number of heroes because of the line nature and the delay. Lina on the other hand likes a teamfight because she not only has great AOE, but she gets stronger and stronger the longer the fights go due to her passive.

Lina is a good hero. I was just saying how her last hitting was terribad. When she gets mana boots or bottle it becomes super easy though. Kinda like Zeus.

They're both good in their own ways. The only hero I think is just bad all around would be Spectre. But even then she gets unstoppable if allowed farm. Just she will never get there these days.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 27, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »

He can't lane vs a TA or Bat. It like Bane going mid or Storm you can just gank them and there dead and Lion need a lot a farm to be helpful as a support his stun suck at early lvls unlike Lina/Nyx/Shadow Shaman
He good if he can get the early lvls but other wise he just dead wight.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 27, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »

Seriously, have you tried using his mana drain? It used to be horrible, but now it's insane. He can 100% to 0% someone with level 1 mana drain in about 5 seconds. And he can spam it nonstop.

Hell, I remember being in a duo lane with a friend playing as Lion. The enemy Chaos Knight was OOM in 2 seconds. And he remained that way the whole game. Whereas Lion had infinite mana to spam his stun forever.

You can watch tourney games of pros doing this. It's awesome as hell to watch. It's like fighting super Lich.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 27, 2012, 05:00:17 pm »

hmm wait what the break range for it now?

Also was the nerf to ice path what made THD get pick less?
Now Nyx is a first ban or pick.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:10:57 pm by Alkhemia »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

hmm wait what the break range for it now?
1100. More than double his entire spike distance.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

That a lot more then I thought  ???
Also what odd is the new mid Beastmaster

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:19 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-ykzpnt9g

I found this awesome song describing how I Dota xD

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 28, 2012, 05:17:36 am »

That a lot more then I thought  ???
Also what odd is the new mid Beastmaster
He's the best rune hugger of the game. At X:15, send the boar for the bot rune and yourself to the top one. Rune top? You got it. Rune bot? If he's not coming for it, yours, if he's coming, denied. And unlike the other guys who can do that (lycan, ench, chen and furion), he has a form of ranged harrassment. Still wrecked by TA, though.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 30, 2012, 06:42:51 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suiovlssmhI
If you have 70 minutes, sit down and watch that game. The moment the teamfights start, hell breaks loose.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1540 on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:07 am »

My brother began to play Dota 2 a couple of weeks ago.
Now, as I find the idea of running through same-scoped maps with no other purpose but to take down similar shaped towers, polygons and the likes appalling, and since my brother has apparently the amount of neurones of a toddler because he can't explain it to me, I ask here:
Why do people play Dota 2?
What is it that you like of the game that you actually spend time and effort on it?
Does it send subliminal messages to keep playing it?
Mind you, mine is merely a friendly dive in trying to understand just what the game has that makes people play it.
There is no plot, no missions, no over-hanging end purpose but to keep on attacking, grinding, attacking, grinding, buy trinkets to do it better but then...for what purpose?
So...Why do you play this game actually? Why do you go around looking for charts, percentages, and the likes?
Why do people actually 'work themselves' on the game?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:27 am »

You are probably missing the point with your questions. They're roughly equivalent to asking two people playing chess why they spend so much of their time staring at the same sixty-four monochrome squares, pushing around similar-looking pieces for no other purpose but to surround one specific enemy piece with your own pieces.

The answer is: Because people are having fun with Dota. Because Dota is a series of interesting decisions, to appropriate a Sid Meier quote, and because the little intellectual victories you achieve by predicting your enemies' decision and counteracting them with a decision of your own are really satisfying. Of course, there are far more moving pieces than Chess, not all of them balanced. But that, I believe, is an essential part of why people play Dota.

The second reason is the feeling of power. Yes, it's a rather base thing, but if you are kitted with a full build, achieved through a series of correct decisions, then you're going to feel powerful. Then all the little intellectual victories add up to become an unstoppable avalanche of death (should you play the correct character)

The third reason is probably masochism. :P

--
Take in mind that this is the perspective of a person who doesn't even like Dota as much and sees it as a game with much unnecessary padding and questionable design decisions. I'd place other games as the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming, the thing is that those are usually niche at best. A critical part of Dota's success is that it's really not that difficult to play altogether, if you aren't really serious. You can always faceroll something, and blame your teammates if things go south.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:58 am »

Its something to pass the time, for the most part is free, and lets you play with lots of variation of characters with different moves, weaknesses, strengths, good and bad allies to go with, good and bad enemies to go ageinst, lots of items that do lots of different stuff, and no nessesity for story or lore, and all with the vast multitude of stange people on the other side of the planet.

Also you get items randomly to dress your charaters up or you can you know buy them...

Its the same reason any group game gets played, its a basic law social gaming.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »

If you examine any game long enough, you'll end up with the same mundane questions as you did. Why am I clicking on stuff for no physical reward? Polygons are appearing on my screen, it's so pointless.

If you don't like it, there's no reason to belittle it. You can rest assured that when people have put in hundreds of hours into this game they've thought about why they're doing it already. And if they haven't, it's because such a pointless question doesn't concern them.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 30, 2012, 12:24:00 pm »

Because it's fun. Duh.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 246