Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239587 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1560 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:27 am »

Yeah, if you're brand new I agree with Ukelele. The one video I recommend the most is Purge's guide to starting items. It's a really... REALLY... long video but trust me. It's vital.

You can also use the Dota 2 hero browser to filter by role too on the top of the screen. When you have more experience with the roles and such then we can be more helpful I think.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:57 am »

Awesome, thanks! It's amazing how simple the rules are, and how complex the game is to learn.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 03, 2013, 11:53:00 am »

Hahaha... the rules aren't actually that simple. In fact, some of them are pretty bizarre. You regularly get people with hundreds of hours of experience and still get surprised by some of the rules.

Stuff like Faceless Void's backtrack.

Backtrack is not dodge. An MKB doesn't work on it unlike Windrunner or Phantom Assassin. This is because it's a heal. Yup. The way backtrack works that every time it happens, instead of not taking damage, the damage is actually taken but healed before the damage happens.

So let's say if Faceless Void turned on an Armlet. He takes damage per second. Once in awhile, his backtrack procs. What happens then is that the "proc" is that Void heals himself for the damage, then the damage happens.

Similarly, because of this trait, he can backtrack even while hexed (turned into a critter) even though being hexed is supposed to negate all passive abilities. He can also backtrack through Doom, another thing no one else can do.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

well, let me rephrase that. The basic rules of the game are simple, the abilities are weird. Weird is good.
Also, the backtrack thing, I've... never heard of that before, that's an odd one. Heals BEFORE damage is taken? wut?

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »

Man with hundreds of hours who just got surprised here.

Does backtrack work with hp removal too?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:38 pm »

Yup. Everything. He can backtrack Doom itself even (while also backtracking Doom damage, and backtrack still being active while doomed). Compared to Phantom Assassin who gets her evasion disabled when she's doomed. Void is kind of the exception to everything.

I believe he can timewalk out of nets like Meepo and Naga Siren too whereas blink heroes like Antimage can't. I'm not 100% sure on it, but I believe it was because his blink isn't a blink. It's a teleportation spell like Furion's teleport.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:33 pm »

Yup. Everything. He can backtrack Doom itself even (while also backtracking Doom damage, and backtrack still being active while doomed). Compared to Phantom Assassin who gets her evasion disabled when she's doomed. Void is kind of the exception to everything.

I believe he can timewalk out of nets like Meepo and Naga Siren too whereas blink heroes like Antimage can't. I'm not 100% sure on it, but I believe it was because his blink isn't a blink. It's a teleportation spell like Furion's teleport.
And it can't be interrupted mid-flight, AND backtrack is one of the only abilities that stacks with evasion AND time lock goes through magic immunity unlike other bashes.

You know, I always knew Faceless Void was a hard carry, but I really didn't realize how overpowered he is.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 03, 2013, 08:33:51 pm »

And it can't be interrupted mid-flight, AND backtrack is one of the only abilities that stacks with evasion AND time lock goes through magic immunity unlike other bashes.

You know, I always knew Faceless Void was a hard carry, but I really didn't realize how overpowered he is.
And his ult disables evasion.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 03, 2013, 09:53:03 pm »

I just got into this game, and my friend was really interested too. I was wondering if there is any easier way to nab a key than just waiting for one after signing up.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:16 pm »

I just got into this game, and my friend was really interested too. I was wondering if there is any easier way to nab a key than just waiting for one after signing up.
There key's everywhere just ask I've seen people with like 12 keys.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »

If you don't mind me asking, where would be the best place to look for said keys?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:32 pm »

If you don't mind me asking, where would be the best place to look for said keys?
There might be some people here with keys.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »

Hey all you people, hey all you people, won't you please give to me... a key!?
Thanks if you do!

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 03, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »

I have a giftable copy, add me to steam, id: ukulele_87

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 03, 2013, 11:08:03 pm »

Well, either someone here could give you one (sorry, I already gave mine away), you could get lucky with one of the thousands on http://www.reddit.com/r/sharedota2, or you could just buy the early access pack for something like 30 bucks, I think it was.

EDIT: or ukelele will give you a copy :)
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 246