Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40426 times)

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. The Battle for the Belt.
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:51 am »

can we crash against an enemy ship in aurora?
Theoretically, yes.
Actually, no.

or board it?
Yes.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:40 am »

and after boarding it, do we get to keep the ship if we win?...

because that were the case, we could build mass shielded/low armored ships to engage in boarding activities and capture the enemies ships...and grab their designs, maybe?
we do have soldiers to use, and i doubt they have their own soldiers on their ships. They'd succumb right?
or is it only a Crew number thing?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:48 am »

Yes. Crew fight, but they've got low combat rating, around one for every 100 crew. (Marine Battaillon is 10, doubled in boarding action. Marine company is 2, doubled in boarding action). However, a lot of soldiers get killed during the boarding (Formula is [10-(Your speed/their speed)]D20% of casualities). So you either want to damage their ship so they cannot move anymore, or build really fast boarding gunboat. Probably both.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2011, 10:09:47 am »

i was more on the using suicide-killing so in vogue to the modern (old) times of earth.
you know, really fast to death small ships, heavily shielded, which go and bump against their freighters, making a massacre of their crewmembers until they reach a point where the ship can't move, and they all die there like infidels should.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2011, 10:11:33 am »

Oh, Aurora.  Love this LP, and it's a game with such potential.  That said, is there a Tutorial for it that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out?  The designer Steve has said he isn't concerned about making one, and the interface is even more labyrinthine than Dwarf Fortress.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:48 am »

Boarding also takes a minimum of 5 minutes (that's one round of fighting, and unless you really outnumber your enemies you can usually expect to have more than one). Basically in Aurora boarding is something you do after you win a space battle.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:48 am »

Except for boarding freighters and the like.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:24 am »

now i am sad.
 :-[

well...we can still have a highly shielded ship with mass laser and beam weaponry, right, right?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:07 am »

Shields are a bad idea. Even if we already had the tech, they have 1/3rd the durability of the same weight of armor and only recharge very slowly (takes 5 minutes to recharge, a combat round is 5 seconds).

This is pretty much what I expected to happen. I kept saying "Don't provoke them, we haven't been building ships!" but no one listened :(

I've kind of been leaving this thread alone because it seemed obvious my plans were not popular, but my suggestion would be to stay the course. The battle did show that the gunboat concept is useful; they were able to close the range in the face of fire and hit with Mesons; if we'd had a full force of gunboats instead of dividing our forces (which I repeatedly argued against) we probably would have won. So, keep building gunboats, maybe add slipways to the yard. Finish engines then develop better mesons, since we've been forced into a badly planned war.

What it did teach is that our (non-gunboat) ships are completely useless; the enemy are far faster and longer ranged than our ships. Really, they're useless to the point that we might as well just scrap them. No point in building anything but gunboats.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:55:40 am by Bremen »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:18 am »

Well, actually, you could have won, you just needed to send more ships. After all, you were fighting with 7,000 tons of FAC against 18,000 tons of ships.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2011, 10:52:10 am »

Well, actually, you could have won, you just needed to send more ships. After all, you were fighting with 7,000 tons of FAC against 18,000 tons of ships.

Yes. There's really no reason to ever divide up your forces in a war like this; I don't know why everyone seemed to think they would repeatedly send unarmed civilian ships where we could shoot them. I mean, they're not the Aurora AI :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

By the way, is there any edit to the year-long order, or can I finish the year?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2011, 11:03:52 am »

By the way, is there any edit to the year-long order, or can I finish the year?

For the love of god don't build any Hebrons.

Other than that, since people kept changing my orders I've kind of resigned myself to advisor/last sane man :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:31 am »

Yeah, Hebrons are kinda useless, as they've got both shorter range and slower speed, and the ennemy ain't using missiles.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2011, 11:12:01 am »

so...research better armor techs?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30