Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40420 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. The Battle for the Belt.
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2011, 11:19:19 am »

so...research better armor techs?

Yes, better armor techs will be of great help when we never get to shoot at the enemy and they can pound away at our helpless ships for hours on end!

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be sarcastic, but this game is making me very cynical :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2011, 11:20:36 am »

For the moment, the focus is on production tech. Maybe you should stop researching Jump Point Theory and focus on immediately useful tech (Engines, armor, other weapons...).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2011, 11:22:19 am »

What are the current orders?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2011, 11:30:28 am »

Yes, better armor techs will be of great help when we never get to shoot at the enemy and they can pound away at our helpless ships for hours on end!

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be sarcastic, but this game is making me very cynical :P

nah, sarcasm and irony are the salt and spice of life.
we "should" actually stop researching jump point theory, we are as good as screwed if they do invade us. and i dunno...increased range with our weaponry? i was all for the suicide ships plan, but it seems unfeasible indeed.
Well...we just need a blackhole then!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:19 am »

nah, sarcasm and irony are the salt and spice of life.
we "should" actually stop researching jump point theory, we are as good as screwed if they do invade us. and i dunno...increased range with our weaponry? i was all for the suicide ships plan, but it seems unfeasible indeed.
Well...we just need a blackhole then!

I've advocated dropping jump point theory since the missile nerf anyways.

Increased range weapons aren't a priority right now; there's no way we'll get a range advantage with Mesons. Engines are our best bet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2011, 11:44:43 am »

Ok, here's my try at orders:

Space Orders:
Keep all ships at Titan. Battle contingency orders: If the enemy attacks titan, fall back and try to lure them into range of the PDC. Then, if Titan's sensors can detect a particularly large ship, similar to our troop transports, have the gunboats try to kill it, ideally flying around the enemy fleet if the transport is holding back. The destroyers and carrier should just try to stay out of enemy range if they can, maybe they can hide in deep space or something.
Industrial Orders
Build 2 of the new PDCs (design below) using 100% of construction capacity, then build factories with 100% of capacity.
Keep building gunboats, add slipways to the gunboat yard.
Research Orders
Put 35 labs on research rate 280, it should be almost done. Then develop better reactor tech, better engine tech, then better armor tech with the same scientist. The remaining 5 labs should go to Ali Sulaiman who should work on developing improved command and control.
Other Orders
Design a new PDC. It should be absolutely bare bones; no armor, no sensor, no fuel capacity (WHY?), no hangars or barracks. Just 3 meson turrets, 1 fire control, and necessary additions (crew quarters and maybe a bridge if its over 1k tons).
Once better engines and armor are done, design a new gunboat; try to give it a little armor while keeping it otherwise basic and fast. Retool the gunboat yard for the new model when available and begin refitting to the new class (the refits should be cheap and fast; if not, build new hulls instead). Three layers of armor would be ideal, and should let them shrug off a few hits from smaller particle beam weapons.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:49:45 am by Bremen »

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »

Ok, here's my try at orders:

Space Orders:
Keep all ships at Titan. Battle contingency orders: If the enemy attacks titan, fall back and try to lure them into range of the PDC. Then, if Titan's sensors can detect a particularly large ship, similar to our troop transports, have the gunboats try to kill it, ideally flying around the enemy fleet if the transport is holding back. The destroyers and carrier should just try to stay out of enemy range if they can, maybe they can hide in deep space or something.
Industrial Orders
Build 2 of the new PDCs (design below) using 100% of construction capacity, then build factories with 100% of capacity.
Keep building gunboats, add slipways to the gunboat yard.
Research Orders
Put 35 labs on research rate 280, it should be almost done. Then develop better reactor tech, better engine tech, then better armor tech with the same scientist. The remaining 5 labs should go to Ali Sulaiman who should work on developing improved command and control.
Other Orders
Design a new PDC. It should be absolutely bare bones; no armor, no sensor, no fuel capacity (WHY?), no hangars or barracks. Just 3 meson turrets, 1 fire control, and necessary additions (crew quarters and maybe a bridge if its over 1k tons).
Once better engines and armor are done, design a new gunboat; try to give it a little armor while keeping it otherwise basic and fast. Retool the gunboat yard for the new model when available and begin refitting to the new class (the refits should be cheap and fast; if not, build new hulls instead). Three layers of armor would be ideal, and should let them shrug off a few hits from smaller particle beam weapons.

Research rate 280 is complete.

Also, what is the point of producing PDCs which have a shorter range than enemy weapons?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:46:48 pm by Azkul »
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »

Mesons PDCs can shoot through Titan's athmosphere, the infidels' Particle Beam cannot.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2011, 03:18:10 pm »

Yep, the only things that can harm those PDCs are other mesons, missiles (and given the missile nerf and the innate armor of PDCs, it would take a huge amount of missiles to take them out), and ground forces (which the PDCs will get a few chances to shoot out of the sky before they can land); short of the enemy leapfrogging us on meson weapons they're probably the safest combat investment we can make.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2011, 03:57:56 pm »

I purpose we send this message to our neighbours:

You have invaded our territory, attacked one of our patrol vessals unprovoked and demanded we withdraw from what is rightfuly ours. This an injustice we can not allow. Withdraw from our territory and cease all unprovoked attacks on our ships or our fleet will swarm over your homeland reducing it to debris, ashes and broken reminders of what you could have been had you not stood in our path.
End Message

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

New Turn:

26th of February
As part of the new doctrine, a new PDC was designed, the Beirut.

Spoiler: Beirut (click to show/hide)

28th of March
A second Mosul is created and sent to survey the outer asteroid belt.

13th of April
A DSTS is finished on Titan. Work immediately start on the first of two Beirut. They should be completed by mid-June.

14th of April
The active sensor from the Werewold is picked up again coming from Mercury. Obviously they do not trust their passive sensors.

2nd of June
An Engineering Brigade was finished today. Since they don't have anything else to do, they'll help the workers construct the Beirut.

12th of June
Thanks to the engineers, the two Beirut are now ready. More contruction factories are ordered.

2nd of July
3 Hufufs are ready, and 3 more are laid down. When those are finished, we will almost be up to the strength we had in early 1542.

8th of July
The Amir-ul-Ashar Shade Night and Az Wun'eh have each been given command of a Gile'h-class PDC. Funnily enough, it is now Az Wun'eh that command Shad Night's former PDC, the Garibaldi.

23rd of August
Research finished on Gas-Cooled Reactors. Al-Azred will now develop new engines based on that technology. The Ion Engine won't be ready until June of next year.

On a less joyous not, the Amir-ul-Ashar Shade Night was diagnosed with prostate cancer. May  Allah cure him.

23rd of November
Three more Hufufs are built. Three more are laid down.

29th of December
It is the end of the year already. The Califate isn't much stronger than it was, but a bunch of new technologies are coming that could turn the tide.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2011, 04:28:27 pm »

State of the Caliphate

Spoiler: Titan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technologies (click to show/hide)

Please point out any error as usual. Feel free to request information. The enxt turn should be somewhen next week.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. And yet another turn!
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »

Could there be screenshots of the "Mining & Maintenance" tab, and the "Industry" tab in the updates?

Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »

Mining and Maintenance: You've got over 10,000 of everything.
Industry Tab: You're producing factories with 100% of you capabilities.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »

good g...ehm...i just rofled out at 1.30 in the morning and can't stop giggling. i'm really thinking the game will hate me.
name my new ship the Abyss.
and, since i'm a half-aurora newb...
1) what's a PDC!?
2) you can actually use engineering brigades to finish up constructions?! how!?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30