Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40402 times)

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »

Our carrier has absolutely no weapons, and the ships we have that can attack in close range like that already have a small sensor. The carriers one appears almost entirely needless to me since it can't actually make use of it in any way. There are a few scenarios in which it could make use of it, mostly revolving around it being isolated, but even then the use would be minimal and extra armor would by far be preferable. Besides, getting the failure rate down to 330 would, what, double its effective lifespan? That's good for a ship that we might want to sail around for long periods of time.

To sum it up: I say we leave the armor since we don't want our most expensive and prized ships to be made out of tinfoil, and remove the sensor since it can't actually be put to effective use. (No weapons, and it carries a Mersin which has that same exact sensor anyway.)

Edit: By this I mean future versions of the carrier should have the modifications. They're probably light enough that we don't need to retool our shipyard, but not vital enough that we need to refit the old one. It would just do well staying around titan to take advantage of the maintenance facilities.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:06:20 pm by Daltesh »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2011, 04:13:47 pm »

Also, I suppose it's a bit late now, but there's no real reason to split up our deep space tracking stations. They stack linearly, so with enough on Titan we should be able to see any capital ships moving anywhere in the system.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »

From what I read (on the wiki, IIRC), DSTS stacks linearly after the first one (each one adds 25% of the first).
So yeah, put them all on one, as the possible spots all are moons ?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

To sum it up: I say we leave the armor since we don't want our most expensive and prized ships to be made out of tinfoil,
We're not removing all armor, it'd still have 3 layers left, which is how deep our enemies weapons will strike at the moment (if they're as good as ours, which with the Christian lack of scientific mindset, is highly doubtful), and getting struck on the same spot twice will result in damage either way (30% less with the armor left in place). I say chuck it. If you want something to waste space on add more engines/fuel.
Edit: Reread you post more carefully. Yes, future carriers will need 4-5 layers of armor (depending on when we field them), I assumed we were getting this one redone. Though I'd prefer it if we kept the sensor (and in fact increased it range- Mersins will be shot down first.  Do not underestimate our enemies - they've survived this far against Allah's chosen people)

Also, I suppose it's a bit late now, but there's no real reason to split up our deep space tracking stations.
Except being, like, 3 time closer to the place we want to monitor. I'm not asking we rebase our entire stock of DSTS piecemeal to the asteroid belt, I just need 1 for this project. When (and if) we'll start detecting at least freighter level signatures from around Mercury we can ship it back.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:31:47 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2011, 03:32:27 pm »

I've started running the turn. There is now an Asteroid strike Force on Ceres. However, you may like to know that maintenance facilities need people to operate them. Do you plan on building orbital habitat? Maintenance ships? Or just rotate the Hufuf from time to time? (You have 3 squadrons of them).

Also, do you wish to keep producing Hufuf or not?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2011, 03:40:19 pm »

I've started running the turn. There is now an Asteroid strike Force on Ceres. However, you may like to know that maintenance facilities need people to operate them. Do you plan on building orbital habitat? Maintenance ships? Or just rotate the Hufuf from time to time? (You have 3 squadrons of them).

Also, do you wish to keep producing Hufuf or not?

Move the gunboats back to titan for now. We can leave a stockpile of fuel on asteroids, and maintain the gunboats on Titan.

Build Hufuf continuously.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »

However, you may like to know that maintenance facilities need people to operate them.
Can we dump a bunch of maintenance supplies there Instead? Obviously we don't need to ship maintenance facilities to Ceres, Seeing as how the point of the operation is stealth (and populations are anything but).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »

However, you may like to know that maintenance facilities need people to operate them.
Can we dump a bunch of maintenance supplies there Instead? Obviously we don't need to ship maintenance facilities to Ceres, Seeing as how the point of the operation is stealth (and populations are anything but).

We could, but then we'd have to build the supplies, and it would be inefficient.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2011, 06:13:23 pm »

We could forgo the second base entirely and base our Attack wing out of the carrier...  :-\

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28:14 am »

Or just rotate the FAC squadrons. You've got three of them, so you can afford to let them age a little bit out on Ceres before bringing them back for overhaul.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:35 am »

It's going to be hard to send FACs back to Saturn when it gets to the opposite side of the sun (15 years from now, so yeah...). They also consume fuel like it was hotcakes (by my estimation it currently takes about 50-60k of fuel for a 1-way trip, compared to about 7-8k when using a Carrier).
Edit: to clarify: This is important, because we don't have fuel production on Ceres- any fuel we use will have to be delivered there beforehand.
Edit #2: Of course we could always drop the Attack wing off near Ceres, fully fueled and then pick them up (replace?) at a safe distance (with the carrier) when their tour is over. What do you guys think? I would still like Carrier support on site.

On an IC note, I'd like to put in for a command position on the Ashdod. That's "Az-Wun'eh", with an 'e'. 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:07:17 am by a1s »

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2011, 07:10:00 am »

On an IC note, I'd like to put in for a command position on the Ashdod. That's "Az-Wun'eh", with an 'e'. 8)

You can also ask to have a ship named after you, or a captain, scientists... You won't have any control over it/him/her, but I'll write about it/him/her if something important happens. I won't be controlling captain assignment directly, so you can't as for a Cruiser captain. You can ask for a great Captain and hope the game put him in charge of that 14,000 tons Carrier however.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2011, 07:30:48 am »

Yeah, it's okay. What I wanted to avoid is what I saw on another Aurora games, where people made highly detailed demands for positions that did not yet exist.

Let it be clear: I won't maintain waiting list, and you may well loose your command of the CV Ashdod in a few months (Tour are 6 months long). But you can have it for now.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:29 am »

I've started running the turn.
So how is that coming along?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:22 am »

Still waiting to know what should be done with the Asteroid Strike Force. But Iw on't be able to run the rest until friday anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30