Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40386 times)

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:28 am »

With little size, and maybe some ECM, couldn't they be treated like little missile, that don't get detected until it's too late ?
I mean, if a salvo of 10 little missile can get through their CWIS (eg), shouldn't a cloud of 20 mines make some real damage ?
(haven't played for a while, and didn't use mines...)
I suppose if we used small enough buoys they could detect the enemy and deploy their sub-munitions before being detected themselves.. Yeah, I take it back, being detected isn't a very big factor for mines.
If we had box launchers it could be an interesting fall back strategy. Put perhaps one or two on every gunboat just to fill out the space, maybe even not bothering to put fire controls on them, and just have the gunboats unload their mines if they need to disengage. IIRC it would play hell with the enemies fire control systems if it's a ton of small groups of missiles rather than a few large ones. And it would certainly discourage them from trying to follow. But as it stands, I don't think they're very applicable to our current situation.

As a sidenote I haven't bothered to play with mines before, but even without fire controls the 'Msl Launch' command in the Task Groups window should work. Aside from that I'm really just guessing on their effectiveness.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:23 am »

Aren't mines essentially immobile MIRVs (I never used one)? And as such won't the second stage be subject to the usual nerfing? It would really add some strategic depth if they didn't, but it would probably be a big exploit (I'm thinking fake mines as missiles).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2011, 05:24:58 am »

Could an effort be made to find this "other forum" and the counterpart thread?
Go for it. I think it would be fun to see both sides (with all the paranoia of  2 nuclear powers without diplomacy, it might just be hilarious). And a great exercise for your googling muscle. But you can't post in this thread. BTW when this game ends, we'll want the link to that other forum, so we can all share in the lulz.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2011, 06:15:31 am »

The other forum is in french, so you won't understand that much what they say, I think ...

An AAR would be nice, but I don't think revealling the other forum is such a good idea :
Another game could be nice, a still having the paranoïa aspect of the game could be nice ^^

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2011, 06:21:16 am »

Not that I am suspicious at all about any of the posters here being on both threads at all! :)
This is a blank sig.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:47 am »

I'm afraid you have to leave tomplis (spectating both threads is one thing, but you have been suggesting things). We can't check this, but it would be highly appreciated if you did the same thing on the French forum.   :-X

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:30 am »

I don't know what the other forum is, and I'm not the one that suggested spying the other (*looks at MonkeyHead*).

I know it'(s in french because I actually read the thread.
Take your time digesting all that information, the first turn won't be run until Friday, as I still need to post on the other forum (And I can't copy/paste anything cause it must be in French). Please point any mistake of mine and feel free to ask questions.

By the way : there are 2 's' in TomPliss

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2011, 11:31:04 am »

Mines are no more efficient than missiles, less in fact. The only reason to use them instead is a long duration minefield.

Besides, the obvious use or mines would be to use gunboats to secretly lay a minefield in Mercury's orbital path, then wait and snicker.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »

Mines are no more efficient than missiles, less in fact. The only reason to use them instead is a long duration minefield.

Besides, the obvious use or mines would be to use gunboats to secretly lay a minefield in Mercury's orbital path, then wait and snicker.

Another idea I highly approve of, but I am very dubious how easy this would be to pull off undetected. Possibly useful as a precursor to some final assault where detection wouldnt matter (and possibly be beneficial as a distraction/diversion?)
This is a blank sig.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »

Perhaps set up mines at Jump Points... Personally, I'd love to mine the OTHER SIDE of a JP once they go through, as it would cut off their weapon systems and they'd die before they had a chance to see what's happening. Hell, blame it on precursors. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2011, 12:17:40 pm »

Another idea I highly approve of, but I am very dubious how easy this would be to pull off undetected. Possibly useful as a precursor to some final assault where detection wouldnt matter (and possibly be beneficial as a distraction/diversion?)
It's doable, but not really cost efficient: unless we also have powered down gunboats waiting to finish off the crippled ships, most of them will be able to go back to Mercury and repair. We, on the other hand, need to haul mines and fuel all the way from titan (in addition to a semi-permanent  mine-layer fleet tied up in the area). It's better to stick to just deploying fast-moving wolf-packs along the enemy transport lanes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2011, 01:47:49 pm »

Okay, I finally moved back. The Ashdod got only two egnineering space, which is ridiculously low, but the only thing I could trade for engineering space is armor or fuel, and you need the fuel for the gunboats.

Could I get orders ready by tomorrow evening (I'm in Europe, so that means around noon/1P.M forum time)? That way I can run the turn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:03 pm »

The last orders in the template we got was a few pages back, so I decided to repost with some minor modifications a1s' old changes in red, mine new ones in.. Purple?
Spoiler: orders (click to show/hide)

We've got a lot more mines than construction factories, so researching better mining can be done later. Unless I missed something and we're about to run out of Duranium, or something like that! I also think getting better engines is pretty damned important, even though we don't have a PP Scientist. We can focus on our infrastructure after we've got awesome 9000KPS gunboats, and getting it earlier is best since that means we can have time to upgrade or build entirely new stuff with the awesome engines. It might take a bit too long to upgrade the Carrier for it to be worth it though, so maybe building a new one would be a better idea there.

Also missiles doesn't seem like something we should sprint towards right now. We don't even have ordinance factories guys.

Also, 2 engineering bays? That's about as low as I thought, but I can see how it happened. This might seem like a stupid solution, but since both the Hebron destroyers and Mersin support craft have the K'Shaf missile sensors, we could drop them on the carrier pretty easily to get an extra few engineering bays in.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:54 am »

Or you could remove one layer of armor. Removing the K'shaf allow for 4 more engineering space, lowering the failure rate to 330%. Removing one layer of armor allow you to lower it to 140%, or to 220% with 200,000 more liters of fuel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:09 am »

I think we should remove armor. It's just a matter of time before Infidels figure out Mersin's purpose, which means that unless we want to limit ourselves to targets 6Kt and up, we need a backup sensor on board the carrier.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30