Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40382 times)

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:29 pm »

I think that interdiction would be amusing because it could start small scale battles where not a whole lot is on the line so neither side would have to commit their entire navies. The lack of missiles would allow people to try and get away since detection ranges would be vastly better than engagement ranges, especially considering DSTS sensors.

I imagine this LP will eventually end, and I think it would be cool if it had a lot of fun explosions and ended with a bang (either on Mercury or Titan) instead of being foiled by technical difficulties or something. Perhaps I'm just getting the wrong impression, the whole 'Jihad in Space' aspect really makes me think Sheb was wanting us to try and blow up the other guys at some point.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »

I think that interdiction would be amusing because it could start small scale battles where not a whole lot is on the line so neither side would have to commit their entire navies. The lack of missiles would allow people to try and get away since detection ranges would be vastly better than engagement ranges, especially considering DSTS sensors.

I imagine this LP will eventually end, and I think it would be cool if it had a lot of fun explosions and ended with a bang (either on Mercury or Titan) instead of being foiled by technical difficulties or something. Perhaps I'm just getting the wrong impression, the whole 'Jihad in Space' aspect really makes me think Sheb was wanting us to try and blow up the other guys at some point.

It might be interesting, but not until we establish some decent defenses, or even better, relocate to another star system. Too risky to actually proceed with any kind of conflict while our planet is pretty much defenseless.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »

We aren't defenseless. We have two PDCs with 20 cannons each. Granted the belt of armor is meaningless without missiles, and it wouldn't take much to outrange them, and their cannons are outdated, and.. Yeah okay maybe we are a little bit bit defenseless. I'm not saying 'Let's go try and destroy mercury!' I'm saying 'Let's research some better engines!' followed closely by 'Let's poke them in the head for a bit.' Not only would it be amusing, but if we win it could give us plenty of advantages. Not to mention we are really going to want to have a look at the enemies capabilities before our first major battle, that's just a given.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:38 pm »

Basically is we don't- they will. And it's always batter to wage war on the other guy's soil. Besides, even if our PDF is outdated, if the we have to, we'll still have most of our fleet+PDFs to defend Titan, while heathen will only bring their ships.

(meta: if this game will have 1 turn/week, I really want to see more action, or I'll die of boredom)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »

Basically is we don't- they will. And it's always batter to wage war on the other guy's soil. Besides, even if our PDF is outdated, if the we have to, we'll still have most of our fleet+PDFs to defend Titan, while heathen will only bring their ships.

If the enemy uses a size 12 meson cannon instead of size 10, our PDCs will be more or less entirely useless. Just saying.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:15 pm »

If the enemy uses a size 12 meson cannon instead of size 10, our PDCs will be more or less entirely useless. Just saying.
Allah willing they reached the same conclusions we did, and will research lasers instead. Meaning they'll have to get very close to drop those bombs on us, or go away without dealing any lasting damage.

P.S. do bombs (0% fuel, 0% engine, all warhead) have to have 50% geosensors too?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:53 pm »

I just had an evil idea. Too evil, probably :P

We develop jump tech, survey for jump points, and then send scouts into the jump points closer to Mercury than Titan. If we find precursors or an NPR race, we try to lure their ships back into the Sol system :P.

Then we hope they run out of missiles destroying Mercury and don't have enough to deal with Titan.

Allah willing they reached the same conclusions we did, and will research lasers instead. Meaning they'll have to get very close to drop those bombs on us, or go away without dealing any lasting damage.

P.S. do bombs (0% fuel, 0% engine, all warhead) have to have 50% geosensors too?

I think PDCs are invisible until they turn on active sensors/fire, in which case outdated PDCs are not completely useless, since they can always get at least one shot off against troop transports/bombs/enemy ships. Unfortunately, our shipyards can still be destroyed from maximum weapons range, and that's an effective loss for us; even if they just blow up the shipyards and leave we'd never be in a position to menace them again.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2011, 10:34:22 pm »

That brings us full circle to developing a missile based weapon (for PDCs this time).

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:08 am »

I'm saying 'Let's research some better engines!' followed closely by 'Let's poke them in the head for a bit.'
I haven't participated in this thread so far, but a litle idea :
What if we poke em with some ships, and bo back, laying mines (and possibly little thermal buoys) on the way ?

It could prevent them from coming (fearing more mines), and still give a little knowledge about them...

Even better, if this destroy some of their ship, we could scavenge them easily !

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:58 am »

Bombs don't have to be 50% geosensors. I may change my mind about MIRV's first stage, but then it'd need to be a drone stage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2011, 02:31:40 am »

I'm saying 'Let's research some better engines!' followed closely by 'Let's poke them in the head for a bit.'
I haven't participated in this thread so far, but a litle idea :
What if we poke em with some ships, and bo back, laying mines (and possibly little thermal buoys) on the way ?

It could prevent them from coming (fearing more mines), and still give a little knowledge about them...

Even better, if this destroy some of their ship, we could scavenge them easily !
I like your idea. We could slap a couple of box launcher loaded with mines on our FAC. Do a probing attack, launching mines when retreating, giving any pursuers a nasty surprise. Or we could lay minefields in dickish positions, just to mess with them. Imagine surveying some asteroids when suddenly your survey ship gets blown to bits.

The only problem I think is the limited lifetime of buoys, but seeing as that is measured in months I don't think that's going to be a problem.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:33:56 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:58 am »

That's a neat idea, but the problem with that is that people actually can detect mines. Why not just shoot missiles at them with our gunboats? Plus box launchers take plenty of research to get to. It's not a bad idea per-say, but it doesn't really apply as well in our situation. If the enemy has a speed advantage they could just go to one side of where we're going, avoiding any mines we might've lain and intercepting us further along, where as if they don't have speed advantage they aren't too likely to try and follow us anyway. At least I wouldn't, but I try not to be at a disadvantage with speed.

I think our gunboats could act better in a sort of dive bomber role. They can't really survive a prolonged engagement, but ideally we could fit them with enough beam weapons (maybe even reduced size ones) to let us run in, punch the enemy in the nose, and then run away. Mesons might not be best for that, because unless we get lucky and make an explosion, all we'd be doing is maybe slowing them down for a while and whittling down their maint supplies while they do damage control. Where as with railguns or lasers or the like, we could just sandpaper their armor off.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2011, 03:09:34 am »

How about real life espionage? Could an effort be made to find this "other forum" and the counterpart thread? I assume that someone there might have the same idea and send someone here to interfere...
This is a blank sig.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2011, 03:40:55 am »

That's a neat idea, but the problem with that is that people actually can detect mines.
With little size, and maybe some ECM, couldn't they be treated like little missile, that don't get detected until it's too late ?
I mean, if a salvo of 10 little missile can get through their CWIS (eg), shouldn't a cloud of 20 mines make some real damage ?
(haven't played for a while, and didn't use mines...)

How about real life espionage?
How about you get banned ?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30