Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 4, World 3, Day 2) New players welcome!  (Read 40559 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 1, World 1, Day 2)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »

I never said there wern't any animals, just that you didn't find any(because of the roll). :)

I know, I should have put that in quotation marks. Or something equivalent for thinking instead of saying.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »

Note: I'm retro-actively changing the introductory skills, so that you get at least a +1 from them. 5/100 exp was a bit too low methinks.

I had figured they were ranks of the skill.

Seems to me like you're never going to get close to the max of 40 in a skill, if you get whatever you roll on a d100 in xp, and there are 12 turns per cycle.  But hey, this is my first one of these.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »

Current World:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gallery:

Player List:

As the little Fae rests(you find out later that her name is Titania), The four of you experiment on testing your powers. It seems your senses are enhanced to an amazing level. Mental ability is chaotic, seeming to ebb and flow at random. One moment you are an amazing geinus the other as dumb as a doorknob. You're physical strength seems to be that of a healthy human in their prime.

The main manefestation of your powers reminds those of you who know of it, about the comic hero Green Lantern, but without the green, or the lantern. It's basically an energy source controlled by your willpower. It cannot make anything perminant, but it can easily make tools, heat, pressure, etc.

However, like the strange fluxuation in your mind, your powers seem to only be active at certain points. As the time wears on, you can feel it weakening, and eventually go into hibernation. You worry a bit about the sensation, and if it will ever come back, but as the time for the next portal opening arrives, you feel the power flow into you, just as strong as it was yesterday. Titania grits her teeth and places both miniscule hands on the portal and it blinks into existance again for those who wish to use it.

Try to get some stone again.
5 - cRiTiCaL fAiL!
As you sit in the cargo bay of the ship, gathering your thoughts and preparing for the opening of the portal. You feel an odd sensation in your leg. Bending sideways so you can see you look at the source of this feeling behind the right calf. Upon seeing the flesh, your face drains of blood, and you feel extremely faint. A clearly visible worm of some sort moves around just under your skin, numbing the nearby flesh somehow as it slowly chews. You repulsively lash out at your own leg with your powers, swiping a huge gash out of your own body. As the pain finally snaps you out of whatever it was you were seeing you realize that there was nothing in your leg at all, but now you have a serious wound, and quickly spend some of your power to repair it before collapsing unconsciously at your work station.
-11 influence(extremely low all things considered, better thank the RNG)
+5 quary exp
Note: do note, that now you can no longer gather stone, at least not until you do something else. Perhaps a random gather action next time? Just can't do the same action more than twice in a row.

Gather Metal.
26-56=1
Entering the store for the 2nd time, you walk over to some of the departments that you didn't manage to explore yesterday. Off to the side is a large opening, under a sign that says clearly HARDWARE. Inside the shelves are lined with items and materials that are much more your style. Plenty of raw wood, chunks of rock, and yes, even some sheets of metal. Your attention is drawn to a large sheet of steel. It seems to be about a quarter of an inch in thickness, and around three feet square. Carefully pulling it out of the slot it was in, you cheerfully copy the pineapple purchase from yesterday, though they don't exactly have a large plastic bag for your spoils.
+one steel 3'x3' sheet [56]
+76 scrapyard exp [levelup]

More food, leaning for more berry-esque fruits this time.

Also shove the bags into group storage. I have no use for them.
55-56=1
Moving the plastic bags into group storage, you feel a bit of power emerge from the donation, and you head into the portal again. Wanting to avoid another display collapse this time, you decide to check out the rows of metal boxes with glass doors. Opening one, you feel the cold air waft into your face and you are pleased at the way the food is being kept frozen. A quick search of the shelves finds a package of flash frozen blueberries. You purchase the berries, and obtain another singular plastic bag.
+one 10oz package of frozen blueberries [56]
+one small plastic bag [4]
+67 foraging exp

Well, on a world with no animals, I'll have to do with whatever I can find. Gather Anything
66-48=18
Wandering about the huge store, you spot a smallish sign hanging from the celing with the word 'pets' on it. Intrigued, you enter the area. Among the isles of food, litter, and toys, you find several fish tanks filled with tropical and freshwater fish. In particular you are quite intrigued by the blue and red colors on a school of fish labeled 'neon tetra'. Being unsure how to collect the fish properly, you are startled when a young woman wearing a blue shirt taps you on the shoulder and asks you something in a language you don't understand. Eventually however, you come to an agreement, and manage to make your desire understood. In the end you are headed back to the ship with your purchase, 2 water filled plastic bags with nine of the colorful fishes in each.
+18 freshwater neon tetras [48]
+90 petsmart exp

As the portal closes, and Titania exhales tiredly, she waves the group of you to wait a moment before you return to your own matters. "We... whew... we have a problem tomorrow..." She breathes quickly and repeatedly to try and keep herself focused. "The ship doesn't have enough fuel to safely make a world jump. When the portal closes tomorrow, the automated systems will engage the engine, and if there isn't any fuel in there, the ship will implode on itself." The tiny fae looks at each of your faces to make sure you realize how serious this is. "So, by tomorrow you need to decide on something to sacrifice." She gestures at the group storage, "It can be something you've made, or gathered or whatever, but it needs to amount to at least 100 units of influence." Taking a deep breath one final time, the small fairy sits comfortably next to the portal, "Tomorrow when you go out, tell me what your vote... to give up, then we will choose the items... with the most votes and be safe..." Her words trail off as she drifts into sleep.

Group Inventory:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:55:36 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »

Note: I'm retro-actively changing the introductory skills, so that you get at least a +1 from them. 5/100 exp was a bit too low methinks.

I had figured they were ranks of the skill.

Seems to me like you're never going to get close to the max of 40 in a skill, if you get whatever you roll on a d100 in xp, and there are 12 turns per cycle.  But hey, this is my first one of these.

That's the intention, the idea is to play for more than a single cycle. Once your cycle is done, you can rejoin the player list at the bottom and depending on how long the wait list is, play again with the same hibernating character. IE: you keep all your personal status between cycles. Before, we had 30 turns per cycle, and barely even made it through that. I shortened it to try and keep things moving better.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Aglaia's Forge (Cycle 1, World 1, Day 3)
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »

Gather anything.

Voting topaz and windowpanes to be used for fuel.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:10:40 pm by anzki4 »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 02:06:22 pm »

Gather anything.

Don't forget your vote on what to use for fuel. I know it's easy to ignore the flavor text and just read your own little part of it, but this one had something important at the end. :)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 02:09:17 pm »

I will increase the mutation and breeding rates of nine of the fish, in order to make them hyperevolutionary, and make sure they are kept in stasis for now.

I vote we burn the plastic bags untill we reach 100 influence.
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

Is the influence value for every item before the value or is it influence/each?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 02:54:26 pm »

The plastic bags would only be 42 influence for all of them. The influence is assigned for the whole group when it is created. You may split off and use individual items, but they cost only a part of the full influence. for example, if a pair of rocks had an influence of 10, each rock would be 5 influence. You wouldn't get 10 influence for each rock in any trade, thusly, the plastic bags are only about 2-3 influence each.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »

Regarding XP:  Gotcha, thanks.

Craft a breastplate from the metal sheet.  Get the topaz gemstone from group storage and set it in the piece.

That would be one action instead of two, correct?  If not, strike the second sentence.

I vote a 2x4 the thighbone and enough plastic bags to meet the minimum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:35:45 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »

oh, 42 total, I see
In that case, I say we burn 2 lumps of lead (59 and 2/3), two two-by-fours (34) and three bags (8.4) for a total of 102 and one fifteenth influence.

I hope I counted right.
*WHACK*

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »

I'll lob my new bag into storage, there isn't a good use for it so you can roast it if you please. Right now, I have some DESSERTS to make.

Summon a plate (Only so the food doesn't go on the table when presented, get half of the blueberries, crush them and mix with the Cool Whip.  Apply onto the plate in a loose cone shape. Chop the pineapple into rings and arrange at the base of the Cool Whip Cone. Apply the rest of the berries. If I'm allowed, summon a cocktail umberella and apply to the top. Done.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 03:35:20 pm »

Oh hey, I just now realized that that was the price for the whole stack.  I'm changing my vote to be the bone and bags.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 03:54:04 pm »

hmm, well just need a vote from Kirby, then if the forum allows me, I'll set up a quick poll open to anyone reading this, and then I'll close it when I do the turn tomorrow.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

oh, 42 total, I see
In that case, I say we burn 2 lumps of lead (59 and 2/3), two two-by-fours (34) and three bags (8.4) for a total of 102 and one fifteenth influence.

I hope I counted right.
This.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28