Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856882 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11925 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:27 pm »

I wasn't referring to an ethnicity, I was referring to a traveller, as has clearly been demonstrated to be a proper use of the term by several dictionaries, wiki pages, and examples.

I've already responded to this, so I won't again. My last post was simply about how it's disingenuous of you to pretend that you were going for some metaphorical usage of the term, because you weren't; you were using it literally, as you understood it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:56 pm »

When did this turn into a Mafia game?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »

I've already responded to this, so I won't again. My last post was simply about how it's disingenuous of you to pretend that you were going for some metaphorical usage of the term, because you weren't; you were using it literally, as you understood it.
See you think you have justified your point, in your mind, but you haven't. I clearly meant traveller. It could not be more clear from reading the post. There is no way to misread that. Look at these two posts

No you don't understand! Vector is really a travelling internet traveller, and she carries a great and legendary artefact, the orb of intellect! At well as a very impressive +8 to the holders INT score, it has a passive aura that causes all near the holder to act in a calm and civilised manner. Without that artefact, we are doooomed!
No you don't understand! Vector is really a travelling internet Roma, and she carries a great and legendary artefact, the orb of intellect! At well as a very impressive +8 to the holders INT score, it has a passive aura that causes all near the holder to act in a calm and civilised manner. Without that artefact, we are doooomed!
Now tell me, what one of those two makes sense?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

When did this turn into a Mafia game?
Apparently when Vec decided to announce a hiatus. Maybe it'll clear up once people find something interesting to talk about, or the primary folks arguing back and forth on the subject take it to PM and help make sure the wrath of Toad doesn't come down on the thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »

See you think you have justified your point, in your mind, but you haven't. I clearly meant traveller. It could not be more clear from reading the post. There is no way to misread that. Look at these two posts

I've already responded to this, explaining why it's not always okay to use an ethnic identifier to refer to a perceived quality shared by members of that ethnic group even when you're only trying to use it as a term for that quality and not the ethnic group itself. I'm not going to explain that again, because I don't want to run in circles anymore. I refuse to repeat myself again, because this has gotten way out of hand and is, quite frankly, ridiculous. All I can say at this point that I haven't said before is that if you continue to use racially charged words to refer to stereotypical qualities of any ethnicity, I won't hesitate to report you for it, whether you're attempting to relate those qualities to that ethnicity or not, because you've been made as aware as possible of what you're doing and why it can be legitimately seen as offensive/tasteless.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:55:57 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:49 pm »

But it isn't an ethnic identifier in this context. You really just don't understand that the majority of people just do not relate gypsy to any specific race. They might relate it to specific traits, and maybe those traits came from how people view a specific race, but that does not mean that in this day they view such a word at relating to that race.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »

Oh my science, please just let the gypsy thing drop already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:38 pm »

I'd say that the reason why it surprised me is that I have never heard anyone off of the internet say something other than "Gypsy," and a few of the novels I read as a child (all of the novels in English with Romani/Traveler characters, with the exception of the His Dark Materials Series, which used "'Gyptians.") had the word used without batting an eye.  It's not a word that comes up very often in my life at all.

And, uh, I really haven't spent much time in Europe/my area is really more Asian and Eastern European than Southern European, so I haven't had conversations about the subject with immigrants from there.

[/Vector is also culturally insensitive]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: February 21, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »

Oh my science, please just let the gypsy thing drop already.

Yeah, this is getting a little tiring, even for me.

I'd say that the reason why it surprised me is that I have never heard anyone off of the internet say something other than "Gypsy,"

Same here, really, but I've also never heard the people referred to in a non-stereotypical manner off the internet either, so there's that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:33 pm »

So you have honestly never heard the term gypsy being used to describe a traveller?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »

Yeah.  I guess what I should really say is that it's only been a year since I gained any interest whatsoever in politics/society in general and started reading about such things on the net, so my sample size of information is very small and only infrequently accessed.

Eh, whatever.

So you have honestly never heard the term gypsy being used to describe a traveller?

You've never heard anyone use a word incorrectly?  Please allow me access to this mythical land of rhetorically-brilliant grammar nerds!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: February 21, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

Please don't put words into my mouth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: February 21, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »

That is what I thought you said, look.
I've also never heard the people referred to in a non-stereotypical manner off the internet either, so there's that.
Referring to a gypsy as a traveller is not referring to an ethnic stereotype.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: February 21, 2012, 11:11:40 pm »

You're... becoming very confused about language here.

"Referring to a gypsy as a traveler" and "refering to a traveler as a 'gypsy'" are not the same thing. Hearing the people referred to in a non-stereotypical manner, and hearing other people referred to as a word that also refers to them are also not the same thing.

I highly suggest you read over the past few posts and think about what you are saying, because none of it makes sense and quite frankly it's making my head hurt.

I was talking about how I've never, in person, heard the Romani people referred to in a non-stereotypical manner. That's it. Nothing about the word "gypsy" being used in any other manner, or to refer to travelers, or whatever. Please at least think about how you're interpreting what other people say before you respond.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »

My back really fucking hurts, as in I was on the toilet and after the minute of trying to get up without hurting myself I looked down at my pants and thought "Oh fuck, what now."
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 852