Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858612 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11175 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:36 am »

Oh, whoops--I forgot you'd said that.

Anyway, yeah, I think gun ed would be useful.  Specifically trigger discipline for older kids, though.  Little kids can just be told "don't touch it," like the kindergarten anti-drug lessons we got in LA.
Well pretty much any issue becomes a lot less foggy if you can educate people. Spread of STI's? Teach people about all alternatives available to them. Problems with people getting shot? Gun safety ahoy! Religious views taking a back seat to scientific ones? Sit back and chuckle!

Military, police force, firefighting, any kind of occupation that inevitably keeps you in an adrenaline saturated fight-or-flight state trains to eliminate panicking under pressure. The most simple way I can think of would be desensitization. Force people into that state (without actually putting them in danger) until they have enough experience with it that they can maintain their basic thought process while in it. Most people aren't in high-stress situations very often, so it's little surprise that many completely lose it when it finally happens.
See that is the problem, most people really aren't in high stress conditions very often, and I can imagine some people don't want to, or don't have the time to subject themselves to this training.

I think a better solution would be two levels of licences, a sporting licence that requires you to keep your firearms disassembled and under lock and key, and a defence licence that allows you to keep and carry a loaded weapon, but requires you to show military proficiency and a level head.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: February 13, 2012, 12:23:09 am »

~Snip
Holy crap that is a lot... Hold on, I will keep reading in a second, but do you really mean to tell me that you do or do not have the right to shoot somebody based on if you have a covered porch or not?
Seriously, the amount of shading you have is relevant to the moral choice of shooting a guy? And if the police can't be there in under an hour, don't cross your fingers for ambulance, so very potentially killing a guy?
Very simple, what's "in your residence" mean?" To be on the safe side, I'd try to actually be inside your own house.... The driveway doesn't count as "in your residence." So the question becomes literally where to draw the line. [shrugs]. It seems the driveway doesn't count, but the porch? I dunno.
Hypothetically, the defendant was returning home and the thief in question was just exiting the defendant's home as the defendant stepped onto the porch. The thief pulls out a knife, the defendant pulls out his gun and shoots him dead. What would you, if you were serving as legal council to the defendant, say to the jury on whether or not this counts as being in his residence?

Well, I "only represent innocent people...." :P [cough] "clearly" [cough]

I'm tired/typed a lot here tonight already so lets just do the shorter version. Also, you really have to understand, it's a very different thing to determine if you were defending property or yourself, which is something else entirely. This is another reason the individual facts are very important/why each case is different. I'd base it off something like this I guess (assuming you could make out defense of self instead of defense of property):

Yeah, if it's my guy then of course I'm gonna say its in his house or else we're screwed, as long as I have a good faith basis for it.

Establishing self defense:
1.) Did he cause it? Nopes, not really.
2.) imminent fear of death? Only way out use of deadly force?
3.) In home?

1.) This isn't really even an issue in the jury's mind and probably not the prosecution's but something along the lines of "Here he was just coming home from shopping/work/whatever like any other day, minding his own business when...."

2.) Paint pictures of what the defendant really saw based upon testimony and evidence admitted into trial.

And here is where it gets VERY factually important. This is where every little bit counts. Concerning fear, what did thief look like/what was thief doing, and how was he doing it? How was he holding the knife? Did he seem distracted in any way, was he entirely focused upon defendant, was he staring him down, or was he looking for another way out? How threatening did the guy look/what was he doing/wouldn't you be afraid of him too? Did he shout "O, fuck you?" All of this and so much more goes to reasonableness.

Concerning "imminent" (harm) how far apart were they, was there anything in between them (i.e. a closed door or an open one or the damn TV that should've still been inside). What's the health and condition of defendant/is it even possible for him to run/where the hell is he supposed to go?

3.) Of course, it's his house. What else is it? It's part of his house, its attached to it and it doesn't come off. And even if it somehow isn't, thief is standing between him and his house, in the door. So, defendant can't even get IN his house, because thief, while stealing his stuff, won't let him/ is menacingly blocking him from doing so with a knife drawn.... He can't retreat into his living room, because thief won't let him.... There are a million ways like asking them to put themselves in his position (hence the describing of the legally relevant and admissible points of that position).

Meh, "hypothetical," are difficult, because people really don't realize that law rests on the stupidly small details. If one of those details is legally relevant and the other side thinks the jury focusing on that will get the case to go their way, then they will do it and they might be successful in doing that.

In short, you've gotta make the case for it based upon the specific individual details. Ordinarily, you never want a criminal defendant to take the stand for numerous reasons, but if no one else saw it, then he might have to testify. Then we can see what really went on/if it was reasonable. And people wonder why it takes so long.... :)

Now the fun thing, would be figuring out how the prosecution would say it isn't in his house. That's called knowing both sides of it. And it isn't entirely unreasonable. Do you just not heat part of your house in the winter and let snow pile up on it? But the porch.... When people come to your house to knock on the door are they inside it when they step on your porch to ring the doorbell? Can stray animals and birds come up on your porch? But, not other parts of your house that are inside it.... So.... Those are all differences between "inside" your house and "outside your house," aren't they? I don't know, and I'm glad I don't have that case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:30:48 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: February 13, 2012, 12:24:16 am »

Truean, you're too good to us, you know that? Lovely reading material!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:35 am »

I agree, your posts are always interesting. On a not-unrelated note, by this point I think I know more about law in Ohio, a state I have never been to in my entire life, than anywhere else in the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:09 am »

I think a better solution would be two levels of licences, a sporting licence that requires you to keep your firearms disassembled and under lock and key, and a defence licence that allows you to keep and carry a loaded weapon, but requires you to show military proficiency and a level head.
Not entirely sure if I'd go as far as military level proficiency, but sure, that'd be alright. Stuff like that is what most of the sane pro-gun ownership people want -- simply a better vetting system for people dealing with particularly dangerous objects. Like guns, or cars, or whatever. S'like what I helped kick off this whole thing with: A true-false test where all the answers are true is not bloody enough for a concealed weapons permit. Some states don't even require that much for mere purchase -- all Florida requires is a quick background check for criminal record, ferex. Here, check it.

And yeah, high-stress training would be pretty nice if someone could figure out a way to teach it without having parents trying to murder the teacher. Being able to separate yourself from your panic is definitely a useful skill and definitely learnable. Panic once you're done fixing whatever is causing you to panic.

If I hadn't picked up the talent from I don't even know where, I would have been pretty much completely nonfunctional for quite a while -- it took me about two years of semi-regular driving to stop shaking when I got out the car (I was and still am completely conceptually terrified of driving -- gun ain't got shit on the damage a car can do, and with considerably smaller mistakes.). Still get that effect after particularly long or stressful rides. If I wasn't able to separate the panic from the acts, I wouldn't have been able to drive at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:49 am »

I figure you would need to show the following:
Stress test proficiency: So they don't freak out in an emergency.
Shooting proficiency: So if they shoot somebody, they know where to aim so that they are less likely to be killed. We are going for self defence here.
Understanding of legal ground: They should show that they know the law involved in fire arms and self defence for their area.
First aid training: Because if somebody has a licence to carry a gun, I would like to know that they are able to stop the bleeding from a bullet wound.

EDIT:
Oh god, you could call it 'militia training', and it would totally fall into line with that second amendment thing.  :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: February 13, 2012, 12:48:46 am »

Shooting proficiency: So if they shoot somebody, they know where to aim so that they are less likely to be killed. We are going for self defence here.
This would require changing how the classes are run. Currently they teach that if you pull your gun on somebody you have to shoot them until they fall down, and that ever pulling out your gun to try and intimidate someone without shooting them is unacceptable.

Also, there's not really such a thing as a less-than-lethal gunshot wound. If you don't get treatment, it doesn't matter where you're hit, you are dead.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: February 13, 2012, 12:50:28 am »

And that doesn't seem a little... Extreme to you?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

Oh, whoops--I forgot you'd said that.

Anyway, yeah, I think gun ed would be useful.  Specifically trigger discipline for older kids, though.  Little kids can just be told "don't touch it," like the kindergarten anti-drug lessons we got in LA.
Well pretty much any issue becomes a lot less foggy if you can educate people. Spread of STI's? Teach people about all alternatives available to them. Problems with people getting shot? Gun safety ahoy! Religious views taking a back seat to scientific ones? Sit back and chuckle!

Military, police force, firefighting, any kind of occupation that inevitably keeps you in an adrenaline saturated fight-or-flight state trains to eliminate panicking under pressure. The most simple way I can think of would be desensitization. Force people into that state (without actually putting them in danger) until they have enough experience with it that they can maintain their basic thought process while in it. Most people aren't in high-stress situations very often, so it's little surprise that many completely lose it when it finally happens.
See that is the problem, most people really aren't in high stress conditions very often, and I can imagine some people don't want to, or don't have the time to subject themselves to this training.

Technically when you have a sporting licence you can't have the weapon loaded when you aren't hunting or in a vehicle so already redundant. Defense licence? dude i don't know how many times i can tell you to not shoot at that person and shoot at that guy. Ok out of question, has anyone actually been in a CCW class yet?

This would require changing how the classes are run. Currently they teach that if you pull your gun on somebody you have to shoot them until they fall down, and that ever pulling out your gun to try and intimidate someone without shooting them is unacceptable.

Also, there's not really such a thing as a less-than-lethal gunshot wound. If you don't get treatment, it doesn't matter where you're hit, you are dead.
never got shot then : P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:56 am »

It does seem extreme to me. I'm just stating that "all or nothing" is the current policy in firearm training.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11185 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:30 am »

I figure you would need to show the following:
Stress test proficiency: So they don't freak out in an emergency.
Understanding of legal ground: They should show that they know the law involved in fire arms and self defence for their area.
First aid training: Because if somebody has a licence to carry a gun, I would like to know that they are able to stop the bleeding from a bullet wound.

EDIT:
Oh god, you could call it 'militia training', and it would totally fall into line with that second amendment thing.  :P

From what I know about self defense, and this most likely varies a lot from location to location, it is all or nothing. There is no legal defense for maiming someone with a deadly weapon. You use the quickest, safest, most effective means of removing the threat. And this means shooting to kill, center of mass, as many times as you need to make your attacker no longer a threat.

I got ninja'd.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59:17 am »

Firing warning shots, shooting to maim are all considered deadly force, since you can't prove your intent (maybe you meant to shoot to kill but you have lousy aim, or meant to scare them and accidently killed them) so are never considered valid after the fact. Showing a firearm as a deterrent in a confrontation can be legally risky too, it's 'brandishing' if you threaten somebody with it, its an even worse offense. Usually won't procecute that if you can prove you had justification, though it's technically illegal either way. Firearms trainers will always say something like "Don't even take it out of your holster unless you must shoot to kill" just sort of how the liability works out.

Ohio laws differs a bit from Florida but it's pretty much the same although there is no limitations on front porches, legally the 'castle doctrine' applies to any place that person has a legal right to be. There is no duty to retreat, even if you are standing in front of the courthouse.

There is still the whole point of context to legally justify lethal force, though. Proving you 'felt threatened' is still highly subjective, since the jury is going to compare your actions to a hypothetical 'reasonable person' there are few hard fast rules on the use of force. An old lady throwing a punch won't justify the same actions as a NFL linebacker on PCP throwing a punch. It can get complicated if somebody panics and uses lethal force in a situation that in retrospect, probably did not warrant it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: February 13, 2012, 01:00:07 am »

Actually, that's part of the responsibility training, Max. Never pull a gun unless lethal force is your only recourse. And damnit, rhyme, but whatever.

The concept is that if it's reached the point that you require a gun to defend yourself, you need to drop whatever the target is ASAP. If they're not down, they're still a threat. The civilian gun owner is assumed to not be trained enough to manage precision (non-lethal) shots in a high stress situation. Double-tap the center of mass.

That's an ideal case, though. Brandishing (which is illegal in most states, period) as a deterrent happens. Another reason why folks that have done so tend to keep quiet about it, insofar as larger audiences go.

Ninja'd.

Ok out of question, has anyone actually been in a CCW class yet?
And yes, Tell, I've been through both gun safety training (Via Woodsmen of the World -- it was fairly involved, though I don't remember much of it.) and a CCW course. The former was completely optional and wasn't needed to purchase firearms in my state. Again, re: CCW, short lecture, frakking ~10 T/F questions, all of which were true, then a single shot into a target. That was it. I haven't processed my paperwork still (due the fee), but two other people I was with have and have their permit now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:45 am »

Firing warning shots, shooting to maim are all considered deadly force, since you can't prove your intent (maybe you meant to shoot to kill but you have lousy aim, or meant to scare them and accidently killed them) so are never considered valid after the fact. Showing a firearm as a deterrent in a confrontation can be legally risky too, it's 'brandishing' if you threaten somebody with it, its an even worse offense. Usually won't procecute that if you can prove you had justification, though it's technically illegal either way. Firearms trainers will always say something like "Don't even take it out of your holster unless you must shoot to kill" just sort of how the liability works out.

Ohio laws differs a bit from Florida but it's pretty much the same although there is no limitations on front porches, legally the 'castle doctrine' applies to any place that person has a legal right to be. There is no duty to retreat, even if you are standing in front of the courthouse.

There is still the whole point of context to legally justify lethal force, though. Proving you 'felt threatened' is still highly subjective, since the jury is going to compare your actions to a hypothetical 'reasonable person' there are few hard fast rules on the use of force. An old lady throwing a punch won't justify the same actions as a NFL linebacker on PCP throwing a punch. It can get complicated if somebody panics and uses lethal force in a situation that in retrospect, probably did not warrant it.

The firearm law states you must follow this path before deadly force

1. show threat - brandishing
2. verbal threat - telling the person you are armed and ready
3. physical threat - move in closer to the person, push him/her back with one hand
4. less-than lethal force - this in line of the pepper spray, baton and yes gun wounds, don't tell me gun wounds are lethal, if it takes you more than 30mins to at least hold the wound then you are a idiot
5. lethal force - this is only when you can take the kill shot

even then you can still be charged for criminal acts and sued and whatnot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:18 am »

don't tell me gun wounds are lethal, if it takes you more than 30mins to at least hold the wound then you are a idiot
Because as long as you keep your blood inside of you everything will be fine.

Also, the force escalation list you posted is only for police, not civilians.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 852