Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854507 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9780 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:02 am »

I always get the feeling that the Catholic Church is even more conservative than it lets on, but apparently even the vatican actually has someone on public relations (emphasis on the someone because as far as I'm aware it really is just one or two guys (of course it's guys, it's the Catholic Church))
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: January 12, 2012, 09:36:10 am »

Not even going to comment on "Hitler's young". Did you mean the Hitler Youth?

He was in the Hitler Youth when he was a child, but if I remember correctly, it was required by law of all boys.
Love, scriver~

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:43 am »

Yeah, much as I may find Ratzinger / RC Church distasteful, it isn't fair to attack him for his membership of HY. There's no evidence he joined voluntarily or even participated at all, iirc.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9783 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:31 am »

Update on the story I posted about Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour pardoning a man convicted of murdering his wife while she held his infant son in her arms.

http://news.yahoo.com/miss-court-halts-quick-release-pardoned-005735624.html
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-halts-mississippi-pardons-uproar-020954858--abc-news.html

He was one of 210 last minute pardons, more than twice the number of previous cases. If you read the second article you may not that the reason for some pardons was that the prisoner has expensive medical conditions that the state was treating, and it is cheaper to set them free.

If you read the first article, some of the pardons were illegal: "It's unfortunate Gov. Barbour didn't read the constitution"
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

>Pope, marriage
It really gets on my nerves when people have the astounding presumptuousness to blithely assume that their version of a cultural tradition is the only possible version, and that therefore any deviation from their version is an attack on the tradition itself.
That simply isn't how culture works.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:22 pm »

>Pope, marriage
It really gets on my nerves when people have the astounding presumptuousness to blithely assume that their version of a cultural tradition is the only possible version, and that therefore any deviation from their version is an attack on the tradition itself.
The fact that you trim your facial hair differently from the Amish tradition is an attack on their traditions!  How dare you!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9786 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »

>Pope, marriage
The fact that you trim your facial hair differently from the Amish tradition is an attack on their traditions!  How dare you!

I would point out that the recent Amish beard thing was actually a case of one Amish group forcefully shaving the traditional beards of another group. In which case it was an actual attack on their traditions.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: January 12, 2012, 01:23:55 pm »

I don't know why you would point that out since it's unrelated to Andir's post, except that it involved the Amish and beards (both of which are just arbitrary examples for the joke/point he was making).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »

http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/12/2013036/illegal-immigrants-across-us-obtained.html
Yet another reason why "Let's use Voter ID cards," DOES... NOT... WORK....

I mean honestly, how many college kids have gotten booze with fake IDs...?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

Are biometric databases the answer?
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »

O, you give people enough time and illegal money for it and they'll counterfeit those too.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: January 12, 2012, 02:26:20 pm »

They did that in colorado, any state ID requires you to submit to a biometric scan of your thumb and fingers. You are now in the system.

O, you give people enough time and illegal money for it and they'll counterfeit those too.
if anything a good scanner and someone to hack into the state server you are good. Advise against colorado as CBI contains the biometrics data combining with FBI files.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »

Truean, what's the solution then?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9793 on: January 12, 2012, 02:43:04 pm »

controlling knowledge.

you stop teaching kids how to counterfeit stuff.
you shot down those who know.

welcome orwell, 1984 was waiting you.

then you can have scanners. because with nobody to have the knowledge to access them, except government officials, you can pretty much be at least "more sure" that the culprit is inside, you check per knowledge basis, and "ask" them.

so, tell me, how many fingers are these? ||||_
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: January 12, 2012, 02:50:37 pm »

Actually, I would probably be willing to enter an argument that certain types of biometric data would be a signifigant challenge to counterfit. Of course, people might not be happy having things like DNA sequence data, retinal images and so on held by a central agency, but its got to be harder to break into a secure network containing held data without leaving evidence of the activity behind than it is to photocopy and laminate a crappy fake ID. So hard infact that it would only have a point for SERIOUS crime, not petty defrauding of a stoe clerk for beer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:55:41 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 852