Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854521 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9765 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:07 pm »

That's terrifying enough that I really don't know what to discuss about it. I'm speechless.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: January 11, 2012, 11:47:24 pm »

Hotels have always struck me as strangely conservative institutions. I remember that at one point two people of the opposite sex checking into a hotel in Georgia would cause you to become legally married in the eyes of the state. I forget when this was, but I remember it was shockingly long lived.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:36 am »

Whenever I see a movie or TV show where something similar is tried I think: "Really? It's that easy?"

Apparently it is.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:05 am »

Ah, fraud, alive and well despite repeated attempts to kill it..... Yup, it's amazing how much you can get if you just ask. Unfortunately.... :( Of course it used to be in many states that a spouse was legally incapable of raping their spouse, this is also sad. I haven't checked this lately, honestly. Sad regardless.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:38 am »

Not much to say other than eeyup, should've called her room first. "Husband," husband, or complete stranger is irrelevant.

Got me thinking though.... (random musing, not trying to make any specific points. Just writing down thoughts)

Are we starting to assume everyone is evil and malicious until proven otherwise? I'm the type of person who leaves their doors unlocked all the time. I figure if someone breaks in, they probably need whatever they're taking more than I do. Assuming theft is the goal, anyway... something more malicious is possible, but exceedingly rare; I don't expect to get beaten up or raped by random people breaking in.

Something just rubs me the wrong way when the default assumption is people you don't know are "bad." The old "stranger danger" thing they fed to kids makes me sick. Far more likely, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met (maybe I shouldn't of taken that Simpsons episode at face value, but I did, so ha!). Statistically, the vast majority of "predators" are friends or family of the child. Dunno bout older rape victims, but I imagine it's similarly mostly done by individuals they had met previously.

In the case with the hotel up there, the attacker met her previously. As such, she wasn't attacked by a complete stranger; she already had reason to be wary of him, and as such had good reason to put up barriers between him and her. No accusations from me about being irrationally afraid of strangers; any fear here was completely rational. But the person at the counter handing out keys? Eh. They had no reason to assume the guy had malicious intent. However, maybe I should stop looking at them as a person and more as a tool of the hotel; if by asking them to call the room first, I'm not asking them to pass judgement and assume everyone's evil any more than I'm asking the door to.

Still, fear of this, fear of that. Fear makes us put up barriers like that. Ideally doors wouldn't have locks at all.

Dunno if there's any points worth discussing in those paragraphs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:29:07 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:07 am »

My ideal doors still have locks. You don't have to have malicious intent to harm someone.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:07 am »

Eh, while I see where you're coming from, kaijyuu, I don't think it applies so much when you're taking that risk on somebody else's behalf. When you're not the one whose safety is on the line, you have to exercise caution to the extent that it's reasonable to do so (giving a call to her room would be the absolute minimum, some documentation of his name on the room or something would've been nice, a copy of their marriage license would've been unreasonable).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: January 12, 2012, 03:07:02 am »

Hotels have always struck me as strangely conservative institutions.

...What?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: January 12, 2012, 03:10:46 am »

Hotels have always struck me as strangely conservative institutions.

...What?
This whole "appropriateness of traditional husband and wife" attitude that might have been a factor in this guy getting a key to the woman in question's room.

Also that crazy Georgia law I mentioned.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: January 12, 2012, 04:48:24 am »

The story is terrible, but what the heck is that article?
Today, Shaker Courtney forwarded me this terrible story (which is rife with rape apologia right down the headline and its use of the loaded word "claim" vs. a less dubious word like "allege")
Whaaaat?
Sorry, no feminist issue here, just fucking basic security violation. What if it has been a women claiming to be a man's wife? Wouldn't she have access?

And I read the other article, same thing : it's not challenging rape culture, it's enforcing security. So if you're involved in a romantic plot with a complete stranger, keep security in mind, it's one of the oldest trick in the book (used for thief, rape and murder).

But this one of her is very interesting.

But this one is not very good. Even a young girl is able too seek, or accept a sexual relationship, and it's statutory rape, not violent rape. It must be punished, but is a more nuanced situation than what her article describe. And as usual, she's seeing rape apology where there's none.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:58:06 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9775 on: January 12, 2012, 05:05:40 am »

My ideal doors still have locks. You don't have to have malicious intent to harm someone.

the film...mechanical orange?
the one with the two guys who enter a house of a couple with kid, and commit murders and tortures only for the gist of it, with no "apparent" evil intentions.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: January 12, 2012, 05:09:12 am »

Are we starting to assume everyone is evil and malicious until proven otherwise?
Once again, Hanlon's razor has served me well.

the film...mechanical orange?
the one with the two guys who enter a house of a couple with kid, and commit murders and tortures only for the gist of it, with no "apparent" evil intentions.
Clockwork Orange.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: January 12, 2012, 06:19:24 am »

Sorry to bring us back to religion, but good old Benedict remind us that the Catholic church is dangerous and intolerant. Seems like Hitler's youth taught him well.

Edit: There were never any mistake in my spelling, anyone that say otherwise is a partisan of the devil and must be burned.

Edit 2: Ok this have been discussed, so no need to post about this.

Edit 3: There is nothing written above this post, and anyone saying otherwise is an agent of the devil who must be burned if he doesn't repent.
G-flex, Willfor, retract your malicious statement and you may end your life in a monastery.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:09:55 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: January 12, 2012, 06:29:19 am »

I really don't think the Nazis have anything to do with this. I find it strange that I have to say that, but there you go. Not even going to comment on "Hitler's young". Did you mean the Hitler Youth?

The Catholic Church has always been intolerant of gays and... well, anything but fairly limited forms of heterosexual sexual intercourse within marriage. Benedict XVI is reflecting that reality just as any other pope would.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:33 am »

Sorry to bring us back to religion, but good old Benedict remind us that the Catholic church is dangerous and intolerant. Seems like Hitler's young taught him well.
This is literally the event that set off our last derail, and what we finally stopped talking about.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 852