Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854958 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9075 on: December 29, 2011, 01:39:18 pm »

The more I look at things, the more I come to the conclusion that we need translucency, which is similar to transparency, but not showing quite as much. The reason is people will nit pick anything and everything to death if they personally don't like it. Government isn't about what you like; it's about what works. People like not paying taxes, invading other countries and getting all kinds of benefits they don't even acknowledge. <-- We can't do this anymore.

The irony being it will be expensive to implement as we will have to hire an army of specialized accountants and probably attorneys, but overall, it might work, especially if you combat the corruption by forcing people to say what the hell they are doing in concrete numbers. Better planning is my watchphrase.

We have a system that works for corporate profit at all cost and condemns people for little if any fair reason. <-- Problem.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9076 on: December 30, 2011, 02:47:15 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-abortion-doctors-charged-murder-150817922.html

1 of these men was practicing without a medical license in that state.

1 of the abortion was believed to be carried out at 36 weeks, AKA 9 months.

I don't really have enough information yet, but even though I am pro choice, it looks like something really bad was going on there.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: December 30, 2011, 03:24:17 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-abortion-doctors-charged-murder-150817922.html

1 of these men was practicing without a medical license in that state.

1 of the abortion was believed to be carried out at 36 weeks, AKA 9 months.

I don't really have enough information yet, but even though I am pro choice, it looks like something really bad was going on there.

Son of a bitch...

just...

ugh. I'm pro life, so believe me, this is just... wrong.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: December 30, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »

Well, if it can rassure you, being pro-choice, I find it just as wrong as you do.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: December 30, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »

Yup.  Adamantly pro-choice, with you on the "now that's disgusting" thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm anti-life, for me aborting late term babies is one thing, but hoarding them in your freezer is... more than a little disturbing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: December 30, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »

36 weeks? Goddamn. That's pretty terrible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: December 30, 2011, 05:05:08 pm »

I'm as close to 100% neutral as you could possibly get when it comes to abortion, and I'll also agree about it being disgusting. Why in the hell would you hoard them in your freezer? That's... what? I thought only wacko serial killers hoarded human body parts.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: December 30, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

I'm as close to 100% neutral as you could possibly get when it comes to abortion, and I'll also agree about it being disgusting. Why in the hell would you hoard them in your freezer? That's... what? I thought only wacko serial killers hoarded human body parts.

My goodness, what a weird new serial killer story idea, and how volatile!  If I had the chops, I'd write it myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure aborting in the 9th months is doctoralically unethical as well. Unless the mothet is in danger, I mean (only skimmed the article).

My goodness, what a weird new serial killer story idea, and how volatile!  If I had the chops, I'd write it myself.

This here is a case for [A] and !
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: December 30, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

Preeeeetty sure if it's past a certain date, they try inducing birth if the mother is in peril and put the baby on life-support. Unless it's already a stillbirth.

If that doesn't work, caesarian. And if THAT doesn't work. ... Well, I don't know. I'll get back to you in a few years on that. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: December 30, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

Frankly even once a baby has emerged from the womb it's still less sentient (and I do mean sentient) than say... a pig (pigs are pretty intelligent creatures), and we slaughtered pigs by the millions. It seems a little two-faced to slaughter the pigs yet object when people kill off babies.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: December 30, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »

You... you cant be serious, right? There is a big difference between aborting a foetus, and "killing" a 9 month term viable baby. A pig will never be a person, no matter how "smart" it is.

FYI: Father of 2... Pro Choice (especially for medical reasons), but uncomfortable with the abortion of unborn babies once they come of an age/development where they could survive outside of the uterus.
This is a blank sig.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:09 pm »

The only serious attempt at a theory of sentience based morality I've seen has been Singer, and even he doesn't buy into it as a practical system to live by.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »

I find it dangerous to identify criteria by which a human being can be described as less than a human being.

Personal anecdote:  my second child smiled at me only a few hours after being born, while gazing directly into my eyes.  Quite ironic, after we'd named him Grim.  May not have much impact on your statement, but it's a difficult experience to ignore. 

I do understand what you're saying with the comparison.  I think we have a responsibility to be humane with the animals we consume, and I think we fail pretty horribly at it these days.  I don't feel that is comparable to our responsibilities to our own species.  Key word: feel.  I understand that from a purely objective view, I have no reason to value a human being over an animal of similar intelligence.  I think it's natural to do so anyway.  I am a human being who relates to and is interdependent with other human beings more than any animal, and thus I care about them more.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 852