Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854735 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9090 on: December 30, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »

This here is a case for [A] and !

... Huh?

Also, your "B" tag got messed up.

Frankly even once a baby has emerged from the womb it's still less sentient (and I do mean sentient) than say... a pig (pigs are pretty intelligent creatures), and we slaughtered pigs by the millions. It seems a little two-faced to slaughter the pigs yet object when people kill off babies.

I can't tell if this is in support of infanticide or in condemnation of pork. You should probably clarify.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:32 pm »

Pnx is pointing out the hypocrisy involved in saying it's level of development that decides whether it's assumed to be morally acceptable to abort, I believe. It's not intelligence* (i.e. brain development, i.e. level of fetus development), because we happily slaughter creatures more intelligent than human babies (and especially developing, in the womb ones) en masse.

But yeah, Salmon pretty much hit the rest on the head. I gots ninja'd~

*Which is just about the only thing approaching unique about the human species.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »

I don't think my belly button defines me as a person, so I think the baby is "human" before the umbilical cord being cut and thus has rights to life.

At the same time I don't think a fertilized egg is "human" so it doesn't have any more rights than a used condom.

Don't ask me where the transition takes place between "potential person" (no rights) and "real person" (right to life) 'cause I don't know and am unwilling to make a guess. Hence my massive neutrality.

The pig analogy is silly because if we think personhood to be determined by intelligence, that's a lot of really young and/or mentally disabled people that are no longer human.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »

The pig analogy is silly because if we think personhood to be determined by intelligence, that's a lot of really young and/or mentally disabled people that are no longer human.
That's often a point made, though. Most people don't treat either of those as human. A kind of 'human-light', maybe, but not a fully functioning, complete, human being. S'a helluva' lot of discourse on the subject, really. Folks have been arguing about it for, like, centuries now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »

One problem here is that "intelligence" isn't possible to measure on a linear scale, if it's plausible to measure at all. It's pretty meaningless to compare the intelligence of a pig, a person, and a parrot, because "intelligence" consists of a vast number of ill-defined faculties which overlap to varying degrees. There are almost certainly some distinct human qualities to an infant's psychology that are not present in an adult pig even if the pig can, in general, be said to be "smarter".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: December 30, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »

... Huh?

It was a reference to this post.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:20 pm »

Re: 9 months abortion: yes, it exists. It's legal in some US states, I think.

Personally I don't regard late term abortions ethical (I've no moral problem with early ones, though. Nor, for that matter, for abortions done to avoid risk to the pregnant woman, at any stage). I'd still nt choose it as a field, moatly because I don't find it an interesting job.

I'm not sure of the power that medical boards have in the US. In my country they wield quite a bit (many aspects of medical practice are self-regulated) and can in fact impose punishments on doctors for code breaches (and, for that matter, largely regulate themselves other penalties, such as negligence, and the like. They are quite powerful.) I hear in the US it isn't like that, though
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:43:56 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »

It makes me wonder though why they went through 9 months of pregnancy and then decided to just, y'know.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:30 pm »

It makes me wonder though why they went through 9 months of pregnancy and then decided to just, y'know.
There are plenty of possible reasons. Health reasons, hesitation, who knows. I found this on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_termination_of_pregnancy#Reasons
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »

What I don't get is why forced birth and putting the kid up for adoption isn't acceptable (for stuff this late stage, anyway). Seems closer to ethical no matter how you slice it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:16 pm »

There are gonna be medical circumstances where that isn't possible.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »

Well of course. If the kid or the mother's gonna die or something, you do what you have to do. Where that's not the case, though...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »

... Huh?

It was a reference to this post.

What is with people on acting like they can assume that everybody on these boards reads the happy/sad/rage/disappointment/apathy/acquiescence/whatever threads religiously? I swear this is the third time that's happened to me within the past month.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: December 30, 2011, 09:43:07 pm »

...I would assumed the same no matter what the thread. It was just a reference. It could have been a ref to the Warriors or Planescape: Torment that almost noone would get - that doesn't mean I take for granted that everybody has experienced those and gets it.
Love, scriver~

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: December 30, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »

Why in the hell would you hoard them in your freezer?

Because disposing of human remains involves a lot of paperwork. Usually aborted embryos go to a medical waste incinerator or are donated to research labs, and either way you have to document them. If your medical license is suspended, maybe you don't want to write "I performed an abortion at 36 weeks" on a form and sign it and give it to the county health department. So you just hide them in the freezer for now, waiting for the chance to dump them somewhere.

(...or maybe you do send them to a medical waste service, and they pick up once a month, so you have to store them until then. This is perfectly legal, as long as you have the paperwork.)
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 852