Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856487 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8670 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »

Gender bullying in the classroom (cute article)

The gender gap and terrible statistics
Really neat on the first one, yep on the second one.

There are certain areas men are treated better than women and other areas where the reverse is true. Then there are other times when the statistics can be entirely misleading for an underlying reason.

Even for the sake of argument supposing: Women are beginning to be employed more than men.
Given, women on average make $0.75 to every dollar a man makes.
Given, businesses are cheap bastards who want to pay as little as possible for labor.
Possibility: The women are more likely to be employed now because the businesses know they can have a woman do the same job as a man for 3/4 the pay....

I wouldn't doubt it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: December 21, 2011, 07:59:19 pm »

Interesting thing I heard from my mother recently, not sure how accurate.

During every other recession I've been through, businesses fired women so that the men could stay and earn money for their families. In this one, they're firing the men because women will work for less, because they have to.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:21 pm »

I don't see the value in discussing research that shows women are doing better than males. We know they're not, so any study that shows the opposite must be critically flawed and debating studies that we know are critically flawed is a rather fruitless exercise.

So... in effect, you're saying that we've already decided what the truth is, therefore any new evidence should be immediately thrown out. That's the exact opposite of how scientific and empirical reasoning work, even in the social sciences!

And even if there were a proper study that would show women are not getting shafted at some important part of life, why bring it up? The only thing it's going to do is to provide more ammunition for Men's Rights Activists...

Yes, why bring up any facts that show the gender situation to be more nuanced than "women have it bad and men have it great"?

Seriously, if there's evidence providing further insight into the nuances of gender politics and discrimination, it needs to at least be considered no matter how much it conflicts with ideas we already hold.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:09 pm »

So thus the argument is pointless and proves both sides lose?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: December 21, 2011, 11:31:23 pm »

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that, nor which "sides" you're referring to. I know I've asked this of you before without results, but would you mind elaborating?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: December 21, 2011, 11:33:44 pm »

On the plus side, gays are finally getting their equal treatment in the military:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16297406

The first same-sex "traditional first kiss" in the Navy's history (12/21/2011)

:D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: December 21, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »

That image made me smile like heck.  It's awesome... thanks for sharing :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: December 22, 2011, 01:24:40 am »

That's adorable. I've heard about that, as well as some neckbeards going "huh huh lesbians so hot" but hadn't seen it yet.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8679 on: December 22, 2011, 04:08:41 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/hearing-concludes-suspected-wikileaks-leaker-manning-183243291.html

If it were up to me? I would find him guilty, but accept the time he has already served as punishment and release him. Then I would see what I could do to ensure the people responsible for his torture, and the perpetrators of the crimes he exposed, face the maximum possible punishment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: December 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/hearing-concludes-suspected-wikileaks-leaker-manning-183243291.html

If it were up to me? I would find him guilty, but accept the time he has already served as punishment and release him. Then I would see what I could do to ensure the people responsible for his torture, and the perpetrators of the crimes he exposed, face the maximum possible punishment.

Let's stamp everything "Top Secret," and claim we're the land of the free without censorship. :)

The first same-sex "traditional first kiss" in the Navy's history (12/21/2011)
:D
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: December 22, 2011, 05:03:41 pm »

What are you trying yo say? A racist got sentenced to jail. What's wrong with that? Apart from it being a ridiculously long time for burning down a building, but I guess that's the American way.
Love, scriver~

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: December 22, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »

wrong thread, sorry
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:09:13 pm by Sir Finkus »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: December 22, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »

What are you trying yo say? A racist got sentenced to jail. What's wrong with that? Apart from it being a ridiculously long time for burning down a building, but I guess that's the American way.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Its a topic that may be worthy of discussion in this progressive thread. Black churches are still getting burned in this country.

Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 852