Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856490 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8656 on: December 21, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »

You know I felt bad for the first two families then I got to the golf course guy.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8657 on: December 21, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »

The gender gap and terrible statistics
Another in a long line of poorly done studies on gender. If I didn't know better I would say the people who construct these studies, who ostensibly know what they are doing, are intentionally constructing them poorly to misrepresent the actual data.

And "reverse gender gap" is a dumb phrase.

I like that you included a remedy for the exasperation with the other article. That one made me smile.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:37:06 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: December 21, 2011, 03:38:21 pm »

Although the study in question wasn't that terrible, and only went so far as to say there are area (definitely not in general) where women are outperforming men. I think that's valid to report about, and the authors anger about ignoring "most women" is because the news tends to report, you know, news. Not things that everyone already knows.

I also think its a bit odd to argue so much against them not controlling for education when a big part of their argument rests on the fact that the gap is mostly do to women being better educated. They are trying to say that that is the cause of the difference, so why would they control for it? That is an incredibly relevant variable in their analyses. It's hard to say "women are making more than men because they are more educated" if you only compare men and women with the same level of education.

If you're going to go that far, you should probably control for field and position as well, no? Yet most studies seem content to leave that information out. (which is unfortunate - I believe seeing where we are doing well and where we are doing poorly is important in learning how to move forward, and that seems like pretty important points to keep in mind)

Edit:
Just read the gender article. That teacher is doing good work - she gets an A+.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:00:53 pm by GlyphGryph »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8659 on: December 21, 2011, 04:22:27 pm »

But we already know that women earn more college degrees and that degree holders earn more money. All the study tells us is that for the single, childless, under 30 demographic there seems to be no difference in wages between men and women of the same education level. But that's just a guess, since we don't actually know the level of education of the subjects.

And if the difference in wages is due to education and not gender, then that isn't a gender gap. The gender gap is in rate of degree attainment.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:26:55 pm by fqllve »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-americans-live-wrong-side-border-fence-christmas-183312787.html

Because building a wall is "the answer." :P

*Doesn't stop anyone.
*Cuts off Americans from the rest of America by a huge steel fence.
*Costs $6.2 Million/mile.
*Would you wanna buy a house on the wrong side of that fence? No? They can't sell their houses....

Yet another reason people need to shut the hell up and think before they do things, especially big expensive things with far reaching consequences. "Derp derp, a wall!" <--- Does not work. Too simple, too easy to get around. Too expensive.

What's the point of it all when you're building a wall and in front of your eyes it disappears?

Also a longstanding treaty in effect between the United States and Mexico forbids anyone building on the Rio Grand Flood Plain, which is actually harder to define than you might imagine because it depends on how much the damn river floods, so good luck getting a truly accurate measurement of where it ends/begins. Thus the only way to be sure was to build with a ridiculous safety zone, a mile away from the river, which cuts right through lots of people's back yards.... If you don't then Mexico will start taking liberties with the flood plain border just as much as we do and no one should be building there anyhow.

Of course, this didn't make it into the "build a wall," debate. It's internationally illegal as a violation of a treaty with real practical effects, like Mexico would build right up against your wall and make it completely useless anyhow....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:49 pm »

What difference does it make if there is a gender gap? Is not every person that this uneducated or unemployed a sorry thing? Will it really make anyone feel better or worse about poverty of mind and pocket if they find the impoverished to be largely comprised of one or the other sex?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8662 on: December 21, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »

It's easier to solve a problem when you know the causes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: December 21, 2011, 04:46:51 pm »

Gender bullying in the classroom (cute article)

The gender gap and terrible statistics

Actually, I'm considering taking a job with a firm that has failed to launch under horrible terms and conditions, because the two partners are perfectly ok with me transitioning. That isn't to say clients will be, but the fact that they won't fire me is huge. The firm is doing horrible and essentially I'd have to save it/build it from nothing and carry the three of us. That said, I may chose that over old boss who would fire me instantly if he so much as thought I was gay. I've made him far too much money for him to have manners it seems.... Though I can't take clients with me, I assure you, they'll miss me when I'm gone seeing as I'm the one who got them off. :)

The gender conditioning article is quite incredible actually. I don't know how widespread something like it is or could be in the near future. Time will tell. I'm honestly not sure what to think of it.

As for the reverse gender gap arguments, there is some truth to it, but overall, I think it's greatly overshadowed by the fact that women still get screwed consistently and for no reason in so many ways.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: December 21, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

What difference does it make if there is a gender gap? Is not every person that this uneducated or unemployed a sorry thing? Will it really make anyone feel better or worse about poverty of mind and pocket if they find the impoverished to be largely comprised of one or the other sex?

Given that this is part of a schema that generally disenfranchises women and plays into a lot of other stereotypes about us, thus making it a hell of a lot harder to get anywhere: yes, the asymmetry is actually important, particularly because it's not just about being poor, it's also about being rich.

I know we've got a silly meme about "it's not race or sex!  It's all about class!" but that simply isn't true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: December 21, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

I don't see the value in discussing research that shows women are doing better than males. We know they're not, so any study that shows the opposite must be critically flawed and debating studies that we know are critically flawed is a rather fruitless exercise. And even if there were a proper study that would show women are not getting shafted at some important part of life, why bring it up? The only thing it's going to do is to provide more ammunition for Men's Rights Activists...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:25:03 pm by Virex »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: December 21, 2011, 06:09:09 pm »

I don't see the value in discussing research that shows women are doing better than males. We know they're not, so any study that shows the opposite must be critically flawed and debating studies that we know are critically flawed is a rather fruitless exercise.

Either you are being sarcastic, or you are asserting that we should ignore research that does not match our convictions. The latter would seem to be a plan rather poorly conceived.

Which is it?

EDIT: Do not bother answering. It is not really very important.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:21:01 pm by Fenrir »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: December 21, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

I don't know which one it is, I'm just sick and tired of people who think they can disprove solid facts, such as gender discrimination, with fancy statistics. Checking up on the state of affairs every now and then may not be bad, but can people please stop inventing even more ways to shame women?

Oh, ok.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8668 on: December 21, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »

I don't see the value in discussing research that shows women are doing better than males. We know they're not, so any study that shows the opposite must be critically flawed and debating studies that we know are critically flawed is a rather fruitless exercise. And even if there were a proper study that would show women are not getting shafted at some important part of life, why bring it up? The only thing it's going to do is to provide more ammunition for Men's Rights Activists...

Its called being honest and not falling into a pit of delusion. If you can't accept reasonable evidence that there are improvements or at least changes in the position of women in society, you are no better off than the people who insist that women's position in society should never have been changed in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:51:34 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 852