Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857750 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8175 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:40 pm »

Wow, if anyone want a definitive proof that faith just doesn't work as a moral compass, here's the worst thing ever : even the Nazi did not exterminate their own innocent children.

It's called scapegoating. And we sure know the Nazi did not do that.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: December 11, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »

Wow, if anyone want a definitive proof that faith just doesn't work as a moral compass, here's the worst thing ever : even the Nazi did not exterminate their own innocent children.

Sure they did, but not on their freaking own children. They have been one upped.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: December 11, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: December 11, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

I'm not sure I follow your logic.
Those child have been tortured, abandoned and starved by their own family, that add a little bit of horror that killing the child of someone else doesn't have. Being tortured to death sure is an horrible thing, but being tortured to death by your own parents manage to be even more horrible. Must I do a picture, too?

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: December 11, 2011, 02:16:27 pm »

S'holding th'point that it's a worse moral act to inflict atrocities on one's own in-group (or at least immediate bloodkin) than on the outgroup.

Basically, it's frakking terrible (beyond the english language to properly entail in a short sentence.) to torture and murder children, but it's worse to do it to your own.

It's not actually logically consistent re: deep analysis, but it's a common sentiment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: December 11, 2011, 02:19:42 pm »

S'holding th'point that it's a worse moral act to inflict atrocities on one's own in-group (or at least immediate bloodkin) than on the outgroup.

Basically, it's frakking terrible (beyond the english language to properly entail in a short sentence.) to torture and murder children, but it's worse to do it to your own.

It's not actually logically consistent re: deep analysis, but it's a common sentiment.

Simply because it add to the person on the receiving end the grief of being done these thing by your parent. A girl was horribly burned by her father and thrown out to die. I think it's more horrible than to be burned by someone you don't know, and starved by him.

Edit : the real point was that was going on were horror of mind bending scale , hence comparing them unfavorably with the top of the universal horror scale, not to make a debate on if it's worse to be tortured to death by a Nazi or by your parents. I'm surprised that someone think otherwise, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:31:39 pm by Phmcw »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: December 11, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »

I'd say it's about as bad either way really.
*Hugs*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: December 11, 2011, 05:11:11 pm »

Sure they did, but not on their freaking own children. They have been one upped.

Spoiler: Oh, didn't they? (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: December 11, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »

The logic I don't follow is how this invalidates the morality of all of Christianity.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: December 11, 2011, 06:33:56 pm »

Spoiler: Oh, didn't they? (click to show/hide)
Since I am unable to read German, I have no clue what that picture is saying, translation (or at least context) please?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: December 11, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »

Don't worry, I can't read it either.

Freakin' font.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: December 11, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »

Since I am unable to read German, I have no clue what that picture is saying, translation (or at least context) please?

"60,000 RM is what this person with genetic defects costs the community during his lifetime. Fellow German, that's your money too... Read 'New People', the monthly magazine of the Bureau for Race Politics of the Nazi Party." or something like that. The RM (reichsmark) was the currency of Germany from 1924 to 1948. It's advocating the Sterlization Law and Neues Volk, basically.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:44:53 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: December 11, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

It says something like. "The handicapped cost the community 60.000 marks during their lifetime. People, this is your money!". It's a nazi eugenics ad. That they shafted handicapped people is bad in itself, but the thing is, nazi eugenicists weren't very particular when they were about deciding who they were going to kill. Kids with birth defects were on the shit-list, as you might guess, but kids with epilepsy were as well, and juvenile delinquents could find themselves on their way to the Maximum Fun Chamber as well. As I said, they weren't very particular.
At least they used carbon monoxide and lethal doses of morphine on them, rather than nerve gas. Not much of a consolation, though.

Edit: ninjaed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:03:00 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: December 11, 2011, 07:48:26 pm »

The logic I don't follow is how this invalidates the morality of all of Christianity.
I believe what he's saying is that using faith/religion for a moral compass does not mean people won't do stuff like the mentioned child murder. Which is sort of... well, duh. One of the big flaws of religion after all is if you get a wacko in a leadership position, they can abuse their own religion to get others to believe their wacko ideas and then you get stuff like witch burning.

Dunno what the whole Nazi thing was about though. Kinda silly to bring that up; Hitler ate sugar and all that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:27 am »

Look if I liked straw-men I'd go read the wizard of O, no need to provide them yourself. If you don't see the difference between saying that faith is not a reliable moral compass, which is an argument often used against atheism "but as an atheist, what stop you from just going out and killing someone?", mind you, and saying that all of Christianity is somehow invalidated, then you need to work on your logic skills.

And the Nazi thingie was just a figure of speech, a bad one it seems. I was not trying to say anything else than, "holly shit, they are killing they own children en masse in the name of Jesus, somehow".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:45:32 am by Phmcw »

Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 852