Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854216 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3945 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

For the men that do get raped, I'm quite certain running away crossed their minds.

I meant in terms of "stopping the rape of other people."

Oh, and for those who thought I was done....

More statistics, with studies attached!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: August 19, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »

Regarding that article about rape prevention: Just to be fair, the other reason it's directed toward women is because it's on a women's website. D'oh. But yes, the pattern exists in media in general.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

Basically, It's like proposing that a rapist is going to read an article on how not to rape.  They just aren't going to read it (e: or care about it.)

Andir is unintentionally providing a good example of this here. The implication here is that anyone who will ever in their lives commit any form of sexual misconduct/assault is already a "rapist" who cannot possibly give the least bit of a damn. There is no acknowledgement of the fact that there's a first time for every offense, and that in some social circles (such as many within universities), there is actually pressure on men to engage in the kind of behavior and thought processes that make rape (particularly, say, date rape) likely or acceptable.
You can point at any one of a million "college" movies where they essentially state that if you are a virgin going to college, you're a loser.  Sure, some try to make up for that image that it's okay in some way or another, but the underlying message is there.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »

I've never seen a single one of those articles addressed to a man.  Ever.

But yeah, that was a pretty stupid mistake.

Also, Department of Justice study; see page 10 in particular
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3949 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »

In addition to the justice system and family retribution, there are plenty of public service campaigns aimed at men, "no means no" and others. Not "articles" exactly but they are out there and fairly common. You may not be seeing them because you are not looking for them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: August 19, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »

I have no desire to go over the rape thing again so soon after the last one, so...

American eugenics.  Believe it.
I gotta say, I've never really understood the "eugenics" shit that always turns up. I mean, conceptually, I support many things that could be considered eugenics, but has any other field every come up with a greater number of idiots, assholes, villains and bullshit? It's like evo.psych. for authoritarians.

What is it that draws people to bullshit like this, and then put so little effort into thinking about it? It's frustrating.
I can imagine these people looking at a group of dogs and going "I like border collies. They are good dogs. We should have more border collies. Ah, I know the best way to do that! LETS KILL ALL THE WEINER-DOGS AND GREAT DANES! ONWARDS!"
It's just, like... what?

((This is completely ignoring the fact that "best genes" are so incredibly conditional. Bluh. Idiots, the lot of them.))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

Eugenics isn't even a viable thing. It wouldn't do much even if you had full compliance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »

Yeah, well.  Sorry about bringing it up again.

I thought the college women in particular aspect was interesting, though, and that it was important to dig up and bring out firmer statistics than I'd previously been posting.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: August 19, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »

In addition to the justice system and family retribution, there are plenty of public service campaigns aimed at men, "no means no" and others. Not "articles" exactly but they are out there and fairly common. You may not be seeing them because you are not looking for them.
Looking back at my college days there was one point where I probably could have gotten into some serious trouble.  We weren't drunk or anything.  We were serious friends and were "playing around."  When it came to the point of the act (She said, "___ me.") and I asked her, "Are you sure?"  I got a "No" in return.  I stopped right there because of the ramifications of continuing.  If I wasn't aware of a possibly "life ending" court battle... Some other kids may not have even asked and taken the statement to mean consent.  That whole situation could have gone totally the other way.  She said something in the heat of the moment and it could have been very bad.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: August 19, 2011, 04:04:00 pm »

Why are these articles always directed towards women?
You know, I sometimes wonder how much longer till I find myself in awaken from a fit of rage with a screaming girl underneath me... Sometimes I wish I could just stop being a man or something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: August 19, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »

You know, I sometimes wonder how much longer till I find myself in awaken from a fit of rage with a screaming girl underneath me... Sometimes I wish I could just stop being a man or something.
Probably forever, unless you have Dissociative Personality Disorder.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: August 19, 2011, 04:44:52 pm »

Maybe, but still, stories like Andir's creep me the *$^% out. Plus, with the percentage women that get raped, it can't be the fault of a small group of creepy evil guys, so who's to say I'm not one of the "normal" rapists without knowing it beforehand? Who's to say I don't suddenly turn abusive under stress when I'm in a relation? What guarantees do I have that I'm better than the average male? I'd best just keep my distance at all times...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:02 pm »

Maybe, but still, stories like Andir's creep me the *$^% out. Plus, with the percentage women that get raped, it can't be the fault of a small group of creepy evil guys, so who's to say I'm not one of the "normal" rapists without knowing it beforehand?
Who's to say I don't suddenly turn abusive under stress when I'm in a relation? What guarantees do I have that I'm better than the average male? I'd best just keep my distance at all times...
I'm first just stating that I remain very, very skeptical of the whole one in four thing. That's an extremely high percentage for a specific crime, that should be easily seen in one's social microcosm. It isn't, and that's a red flag abnormality.

Secondly, you're paranoid as hell over this, which in and of itself lends me to believe you aren't a secret rapist. People who do that sort of thing aren't normal, and they probably don't think of themselves as "not rapists". Given the type of people who commit violent crimes like this, they probably don't think about it at all.

Virex, you seem to be under the impression that you lack a sense of self control.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

Yeah, maybe you should join some kind of monastic order.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: August 19, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »

Secondly, you're paranoid as hell over this, which in and of itself lends me to believe you aren't a secret rapist. People who do that sort of thing aren't normal, and they probably don't think of themselves as "not rapists". Given the type of people who commit violent crimes like this, they probably don't think about it at all.

Virex, you seem to be under the impression that you lack a sense of self control.
The 1 in 4 could be inflated statistics due to girlfriends getting revenge as well.  Like I said, the situation I had in college could have gone all the wrong way if I didn't double guess her.  If I would have proceeded I could have been one of those four.  I wonder how many were confused young kids getting a mixed message.  Should they be penalized because they were taught to pursue women and they might have gotten the cue to go on?  Communication in those cases can be iffy.

Edit: People make mistakes in life.  Sex can be life altering and I wonder if some of those reports were simply misjudgments of consent by honest people who got caught up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:13:13 pm by Andir »
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 852