Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854177 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3930 on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:25 am »

That of course has nothing to do with the fact that the rebels will at some point be in control of the oil wealth of Libya, and people will be there with thier mooching sacks saying "remember all that cash we gave you?"...
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: August 19, 2011, 01:00:37 pm »

http://articles.philly.com/2011-08-18/news/29900898_1_bridal-shop-dresses-gay-marriage

I'm not even gonna say anything.... [sigh] Screw you bridal shop owner, odds are a gay person was involved in designing some of the stuff you sell in your store.... :(
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 19, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »

Why are these articles always directed towards women?

Oh, you know the answer as well as I do: Rape against men is treated as nonexistent, or a joke, or actually impossible, or a failure on part of the man. There's also the fact that rape against men is comparably very rare, of course, but double-standards play a role as well.

American eugenics.  Believe it.

This surprises me. I knew that eugenics was popular in many areas prior to Nazi atrocities being made clear to the world (Winston Churchill: not actually a very nice man), but 1974!? Jeeeesus.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:18 pm »

Other answer:

Because we don't think telling people not to rape is as effective as telling women not to get raped.  Or telling men how to stop something uncomfortable in the middle of happening, or even that they should.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »

Maybe she means that they rather tell women how to protect themselves from rape, than actually do something against rapists.

Huh, that article makes university sound scary :(

Edit: Ninja'd.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 19, 2011, 02:53:17 pm »

When I entered as a freshman, there was a big banner telling us women about the probability of our being raped while we were in college-- one in three.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 19, 2011, 02:55:00 pm »

Why are these articles always directed towards women?

Oh, you know the answer as well as I do: Rape against men is treated as nonexistent, or a joke, or actually impossible, or a failure on part of the man. There's also the fact that rape against men is comparably very rare, of course, but double-standards play a role as well.
I think Vector meant ... (fake edit)
Other answer:

Because we don't think telling people not to rape is as effective as telling women not to get raped.  Or telling men how to stop something uncomfortable in the middle of happening, or even that they should.
Yep, well:

Basically, It's like proposing that a rapist is going to read an article on how not to rape.  They just aren't going to read it (e: or care about it.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:57:27 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3938 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

Other answer:

What? It isn't an either/or situation. Men DO get told that repeatedly and strongly. Do you realize how common it is for a guy to be told in no uncertain terms:  "If you ever hurt my daughter/sister, I will hunt you down and kill you in the most brutally violent way that I can imagine." upon first meeting his girlfriends family?

Edit: because my grammar was horrible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:04:25 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 19, 2011, 03:00:32 pm »

What? It isn't an either or situation. Men DO get told that, repeatedly, strongly. Do you realize how common it is for a guy, upon first meeting his girlfriends family gets told in no uncertain terms "If my ever hurt my daughter/sister, I will hunt you down and kill you in the most brutally violent way that I can imagine."?
That... and someone who is going to that act isn't going to stop and think,  "Gosh, I just read an article on Yahoo the other day on how I should respect this person."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: August 19, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »

*considers how many women he knew whilst an undergrad*... one in three?

*does a sum and comes up with a disturbing answer, considering how many guys he knew*

I really dont want to sound like an ass here, but how accurate or reliable is that number, and based on what?
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: August 19, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »

The point wasn't the accuracy of the number, actually, in that instance.  The point was mostly what it's like to step onto a campus to study, and be told that you have a 33% likelihood to be raped while you're there.

On your first day.

But here's an interesting fact sheet, especially the table on page 4.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: August 19, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

Other answer:

That's true, but I feel like the US treats crime in general like that. We don't like to admit that criminals are people, or that potential criminals can be stopped.

Basically, It's like proposing that a rapist is going to read an article on how not to rape.  They just aren't going to read it (e: or care about it.)

Andir is unintentionally providing a good example of this here. The implication here is that anyone who will ever in their lives commit any form of sexual misconduct/assault is already a "rapist" who cannot possibly give the least bit of a damn. There is no acknowledgement of the fact that there's a first time for every offense, and that in some social circles (such as many within universities), there is actually pressure on men to engage in the kind of behavior and thought processes that make rape (particularly, say, date rape) likely or acceptable.

Seriously, if we're going to put so much pressure on women to be careful and prevent their own rape (which is not always bad advice in itself), then we need to put even more pressure on the elements of society and culture that make those assaults so damned likely to begin with. When you do the former but not the latter, you make it seem like not getting raped is entirely the responsibility of the woman.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:08:10 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:46 pm »

My query is over how right it is to trot that number out with no backing, and to use it as some fear label...
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: August 19, 2011, 03:09:59 pm »

Or telling men how to stop something uncomfortable in the middle of happening, or even that they should.
For the men that do get raped, I'm quite certain running away crossed their minds.

I remember a story about a serial rapist from (I think) Russia. She invited her victims over for a drink, and drugged them before raping them and dumping them out in the street. That's not something reasonably avoidable on the man's part, unless he starts refusing people offering him drinks.

I'm unsure what to do, really. There's no catch all solution to rape; gotta educate people on how to avoid getting raped, and figure out how to deter rapists and find ways for them to have an "out" without hurting someone (not likely when their desire IS hurting someone).

The implication here is that anyone who will ever in their lives commit any form of sexual misconduct/assault is already a "rapist" who cannot possibly give the least bit of a damn. There is no acknowledgement of the fact that there's a first time for every offense, and that in some social circles (such as many within universities), there is actually pressure on men to engage in the kind of behavior and thought processes that make rape (particularly, say, date rape) likely or acceptable.
There may be some truth to this. Waaaaaaaay back in sex ed in middle school they made us watch movie about exactly that: apparently thinking "no means yes" is a bit of an epidemic.

But anywho let's talk about something else. Rape has been discussed in this thread like, 8 times now :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 852