Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857116 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1110 on: June 25, 2011, 10:22:57 am »

Well maybe YOU go around making rape jokes, I NEVER have, nor do I think the bulk of male suicidee's have either.
Actually even my most dirty-talking friends at UNI never made "rape" jokes or anything like that, I guess the whole concept is pretty alien to me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:27:29 am by Reelyanoob »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 25, 2011, 10:28:44 am »

I guess the whole concept is pretty alien to me.
As is it for me, right now, but I'm still a man and as such there is no guarantee that I'll never do something like this...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 25, 2011, 10:30:01 am »

It just makes me wonder because I've never heard anyone joke about rape in my life, whether or not females are present. Maybe we're extra-enlightened in Australia or something but I doubt it. (EDIT: This could be part of the male college culture in the USA, after all "FATAL" was produced in the USA)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:34:21 am by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 25, 2011, 10:30:23 am »

We kinda earned this kind of hostility you know...
"We" didn't earn anything. I am not part of a hive mind with my fellow males. There is no "We". I care about the oppression of women by other men like I care about the oppression of anyone by anyone: It's horrible and it should stop, but I'm not doing it, I'm not part of it, and I'm not responsable for it. I oppress no one, and I refuse to be treated like I do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 25, 2011, 10:31:09 am »

And talking this way is certainly no more nasty then raping someone, which is a favorite pastime of a not insignificant part of the male population...
Thank you, Scott Adams.  ::)

I wouldn't describe it as a "pastime". Baseball is a pastime. Comic book collecting is a pastime. Rape is not a pastime. Men don't sit around and say, "Hmm...got a couple of hours to kill before I'm due over at Bob's...guess I'll go rape someone."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:34 am »

"We" didn't earn anything. I am not part of a hive mind with my fellow males. There is no "We". I care about the oppression of women by other men like I care about the oppression of anyone by anyone: It's horrible and it should stop, but I'm not doing it, I'm not part of it, and I'm not responsable for it. I oppress no one, and I refuse to be treated like I do.

Reminds me of something. In Sweden there's been suggestions made by some politicians of instituting a "male tax" as collective reparations for violence against women.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:11 am »

I read a pile of articles - by women - about the Julian Assange case, and I think Sweden is starting to go off the rails.

Apparently consensual sex between adults is rape by the male now no matter what the female might think - just because. Or at least that's the law they are trying to impose and retro-actively apply to Mr Assange.

If a condom breaks during consensual sex - male rapist (this is the current charge against Assange)

Males are automatically "more powerful" than females, so a male is "using his power" to get the woman to have sex even if she initiates it - he's a rapist due to the female being lured by his fame, wealth, good looks or whatever. No matter what the female might think. Of course it only works in one direction. A rich, gorgeous female who seduces a male is never a rapist - this is how the new law will work if passed.

The argument goes like this - if a females says "i wasn't raped!" the prosecutor can say "well, you're not a Jurist, you don't realize you've been raped" - this is the how the female reporters are describing the change. What the female might think apparently will no longer matter.

Remind me never to have sex with a Swede. (sex in Sweden is gonna get real scary for both sexes real soon). This is basically saying voluntary sex is rape by definition! Who wants to live like that? Any male Swede will be running for the hills if a girl hits on him if this law gets passed, or more likely they will travel out of the country to meet partners.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:12:51 am by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:34 am »

Reminds me of something. In Sweden there's been suggestions made by some politicians of instituting a "male tax" as collective reparations for violence against women.
Sweden already criminalized striptease if I'm remembering correctly, so that isn't very surprising.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 25, 2011, 11:15:50 am »

And talking this way is certainly no more nasty then raping someone, which is a favorite pastime of a not insignificant part of the male population...
I wouldn't describe it as a "pastime". Baseball is a pastime. Comic book collecting is a pastime. Rape is not a pastime. Men don't sit around and say, "Hmm...got a couple of hours to kill before I'm due over at Bob's...guess I'll go rape someone."
You may want to talk to Dominique Straus-Kahn about that ;)

Maybe you're different, I don't know you so I'll have to take your word for it. But considering the current situation of the world, it's much safer to be very careful when it comes to men. It just happens so often that someone who's seemingly nice and innocent turns out to be a complete monster. I don't want to be a danger to society any more then you or the next person but I'm afraid that's beyond our control in this case.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:19:13 am by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 25, 2011, 11:24:41 am »

Isn't he basically saying that all men are rapists waiting to happen? While I can't disagree with him on that, it seems a bit unfair to cry misogynist! and not misandrist! at the same time.

Critics further point out that his writing is deeply offensive to other men who are being portrayed en masse as animals panting to rape; that men and women have sexual urges they control (plus, rape is generally about power, not sex); and that rape, a crime, shouldn't be lumped in with cheating or tweeting dick-shots.

You can join Nikki Junker and With More Than Purpose in asking Scott Adams for a public apology to "boys, men, rape victims and all women" by signing the petition here.

I suspect you need to read the article while less tired =)

So, males are just scum who can be hit at will, abused or called names and we're not allowed to do or say anything about it? That's why I'm not dating anyone ATM. Oh sorry I'm just "mansplaining" so I'll STFU now.

I understand that you're hurt, but you are really driving me bonkers right now.

No one in this thread is out to attack you.  I already said that I would never use the word "mansplaining."  Furthermore, I have already explained how gender roles hurt both sides and, I believe, offered my condolences.  If I haven't then... well, I'm sorry that certain parts of being a man suck so much.  I really, really am.

But don't attack feminism for this.  The current wave of feminism is on your side, rather than against you, and it's not likely to turn around and regress.

This doesn't apply to all feminists, obviously, but I'm not ever going to be anything but hostile toward the radical second-wavers because they will never be anything but hostile to me. And radical second-wavers is the feeling I got from that PSA's description.

They're radical third-wavers, who are called "progressivists" rather than "feminists" because they call for liberation for all people from unnecessary norms and roles in society.  Many progressivists no longer use the word "patriarchy" in favor of "kyriarchy," which describes an entire hierarchy of valuation of different groups, not necessarily run by all men as a general rule.

Second-wavers would have agreed with him.  Second-wavers would have never asked for an apology to men.

I have no idea how you got the impression that the writers of that article were hostile to anyone but, say, Scott Adams and rapists.  If there's some reason why you think otherwise, I'd be curious to hear it.

For example I just googled "female depression" and got 60 million hits, and "male depression" and got 6 million hits. Even though males are 4 times more likely to kill themselves. Admittedly changing that to "suicide" did reverse things (due to the number of successful male suicides) but you'd think that depression would be a pre-requisite of actually committing suicide, and male depression would be worth some sort of research.

Women experience (unipolar) depression disorders with an incidence rate twice that of men; it's suspected that it's also harder to uproot.  Oh, and only folks with female bodies get postpartum depression, which tends to be discussed pretty thoroughly on baby-making forums.

Female depression is also an offshoot of Freud's infamous "female hysteria," in which any (upper-class, white, etc.) woman who was unhappy in her role in society or failed to perfectly confirm to servile gender norms was sent off to the psychologist to be fixed.  Because her uterus must have been driving her crazy.

That said, I'd be cool with the entire human race having equal ownership of touchy-feely crap.  Dudes get better psychological care, women get better health care--yeah, I'd be behind that all the way.  Doesn't even have to be a tit for tat thing, but I'm kind of inordinately pissed about health care over here right now.

Sweden already criminalized striptease if I'm remembering correctly, so that isn't very surprising.

Eh, I kind of agree with the criminalization of (paying) striptease.  To me, it seems like a step in the right direction (if only one that should be upheld temporarily), provided that there's enough job market for women outside of sex work.

This is basically saying voluntary sex is rape by definition! Who wants to live like that?

Between men and women, yeah... gay sex is fine.  Hurf.

I kind of suspect that it's just the Assange case, and the only reason why they're perpetuating such absurdities over it is because the US government really wants him convicted.  That's what I hope, anyway, rather than that Sweden has gone too far with second-wavism and now they've got the opposite problem to before.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:18 am »

Virex: Whether or not you are a danger to society is beyond your control?

I have suspicion that's not quite what you meant, but that's the first thing that came to mind after reading the end of your post.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:36 am »

This doesn't apply to all feminists, obviously, but I'm not ever going to be anything but hostile toward the radical second-wavers because they will never be anything but hostile to me. And radical second-wavers is the feeling I got from that PSA's description.

They're radical third-wavers, who are called "progressivists" rather than "feminists" because they call for liberation for all people from unnecessary norms and roles in society.  Many progressivists no longer use the word "patriarchy" in favor of "kyriarchy," which describes an entire hierarchy of valuation of different groups, not necessarily run by all men as a general rule.

Second-wavers would have agreed with him.  Second-wavers would have never asked for an apology to men.

I have no idea how you got the impression that the writers of that article were hostile to anyone but, say, Scott Adams and rapists.  If there's some reason why you think otherwise, I'd be curious to hear it.
It appears that we have suffered the great all-consuming horror that is the Internet Miscommunication. I was talking about an Australian PSA that I read about in my post (I talked about said PSA in a previous post before that), not the article concerning Scott Adams.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:11 am »

Oh, well... whoops ._.

Sorry, I must have completely missed that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 25, 2011, 11:33:56 am »

I have suspicion that's not quite what you meant, but that's the first thing that came to mind after reading the end of your post.
It happens so often that someone who's seemingly fine just... snaps and kills/rapes/destroys someone (think crime passionel but also the columbine shooters and Karst T, who one day decided to take his car and try to ram the buss containing the Dutch Royal house with it on Queens Day). Why should I be above that? I'm not some special zen-master who can control those things. I may be normal now, but who can tell where I'll be a few years from now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:36:30 am by Virex »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 25, 2011, 11:35:45 am »

It happens so often that someone who's seemingly fine just... snaps and kills/rapes/destroys someone. Why should I be above that? I'm not some special zen-master who can control those things.
I don't want to be a danger to society any more then you or the next person but I'm afraid that's beyond our control in this case.
So the impression I'm getting here is: Men cannot prevent themselves from suddenly flipping out and becoming rapists spontaniously.

Yeah, no. I'd sooner kill myself than rape someone. Luckly, neither of those will ever become a necessity, because I have this concept called self-control. Perhaps you should read up on it. I do not, in fact, have a scary rapist personality sitting in my occipital lobe, waiting to emerge and hijack my body without warning.

Virex, if you honestly believe you can't prevent yourself from doing things you see as morally wrong, then I think you need to see a doctor.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 852