Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857021 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1095 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:23 am »

Just turned on TV to see:

FOX NEWS ALERT
GAY COUPLES CAN BEGIN MARRYING IN NEW YORK IN 30 DAYS
Which leads to the 2nd image I posted.

The Liberal Crime Squad smells Conservative panic!

Also of note, the Empire State building was already fabulous'd up for Pride week, the parade of which is this Sunday. They just happened to have a reason to light it up early :)

EDIT:
May not be because of New York, but Google is doing somthing.
Pride week. Search "gay" anything and you get the rainbow. Google's done it before.

Celebration in SF is going to be almost as fantastic as NY :D Can't wait.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:45:32 am by KaelGotDwarves »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 25, 2011, 01:29:43 am »

If I'm reading that right, Indiana will have all of its federal medicaid funding revoked if the legislator refuses to budge on the issue.  That would screw my family over immensely.  It seems unlikely, but it's still a frightening possibility.

Yeah, uh, I should've been paying more attention--and I'm really sorry to hear that.

It sucks when legislators play chicken with human rights like that.

I can appreciate why they're making that threat, though...  Can't gain anything without taking risks, and it's a good xanatos gambit.  Either they give up on their defunding of Planned Parenthood, or they remain stubborn and the populace realize how much their legislators value their ideologies over their people and kick them out of office fast.  I think all but the most hardcore will realize that it's not worth risking the lives of thousands of people unrelated to the issue just to cling to their ideology.  I just hope it doesn't come to that.  I would seriously have to urgently flee the state or take on (off the top of my head) at least $300 a month in medical costs for my diabetic kid, when we already live mostly paycheck to paycheck.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 25, 2011, 07:23:13 am »

Once again, the Dilbert creator is a total asshat.

Yup.

Wow. I remember reading a few comics of his where he made fun of feminism by presenting a massive strawwoman and going "thiiiis is a bit suspicious" but I never realized he was this much of an ass.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 25, 2011, 08:20:12 am »

Isn't he basically saying that all men are rapists waiting to happen? While I can't disagree with him on that, it seems a bit unfair to cry misogynist! and not misandrist! at the same time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 25, 2011, 08:22:57 am »

Isn't he basically saying that all men are rapists waiting to happen?
This reminds me, there was some PSA aired in (I think) Australia that showed a bunch of male and female children playing on a playground, but put the words "Potential Abuser" over all the male children. That was very annoying to hear about.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:12:24 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:01 am »

I know first-hand that females can be physically violent to their partners. No-one seems to take that seriously though.

So, males are just scum who can be hit at will, abused or called names and we're not allowed to do or say anything about it? That's why I'm not dating anyone ATM. Oh sorry I'm just "mansplaining" so I'll STFU now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:20:42 am by Reelyanoob »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:11 am »

No, but by and large, women do have a pretty strong tendency to be on the abuse end. That's not to say the experiences of men are any less valid, but you hear less about them not only because they're statistically less common, but also because there's a strong social pressure that says, "If you're a man, and somebody hurts you, don't admit it because it makes you look weak." If you or anyone you know has been the victim of abuse by somebody who happened to be female, that is terrible. But the point here is not, "Men are bad because they abuse women, and women are good because they never abuse men." but rather, "Abuse is bad, and the current structure of society tends to put men in positions to abuse women more often than the reverse."

At least, that's how I see things. YMMV, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 25, 2011, 09:45:11 am »

Well, I'm not really sure how people are supposed to react to that sort of thing. Radical Second-Wave Feminism is hostile and off-putting to men, since that's where you'll find the "We'd be a utopian society if we killed all the men." types. And frankly, when I see things like that, my reaction is simply "Well, fuck you too, then.". I'm not going to try and be diplomatic with people who consider me evil by default for being male. It just isn't going to happen. That level of hostility is too much for me to tolerate in all but the most extreme situations.

This doesn't apply to all feminists, obviously, but I'm not ever going to be anything but hostile toward the radical second-wavers because they will never be anything but hostile to me. And radical second-wavers is the feeling I got from that PSA's description.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 25, 2011, 09:51:14 am »

Oh, yeah, sure, I feel much the same way about 2nd-wave feminism. I was more responding to Reelyanoob. Sorry if that was not clear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 25, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

Yup, I'm well aware not everyone, or even every (or most) feminist is that extreme, but it does feel like any sort of problem that afflicts males is ridiculed or down-played.

e.g. the suicide rate in males is 4 times that of the female suicide rate, but we hear little about it. I'm certain there would be major campaigns and investigations if it was gender-reversed, and that males would be pointed at as the cause.

For example I just googled "female depression" and got 60 million hits, and "male depression" and got 6 million hits. Even though males are 4 times more likely to kill themselves. Admittedly changing that to "suicide" did reverse things (due to the number of successful male suicides) but you'd think that depression would be a pre-requisite of actually committing suicide, and male depression would be worth some sort of research.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:04:38 am by Reelyanoob »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 25, 2011, 10:02:45 am »

I'm remembering different statistics. As I heard it, women are twice as likely to attempt suicide, but men are twice as likely to succeed in commiting suicide, as they generally choose violent methods (gunshot, asphixiation, suicide by cop, jumping from a high area) where as women are more likely to choose nonviolent methods (poison, overdose, starvation, exposure, self-inflicted bloodloss). You can probably guess which set is more likely to succeed in killing you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:04:54 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:50 am »

I remember on the radio here (Australia) they were talking about a feminist conference where some female researchers were talking about taking male suicide seriously and other delegates basically laughed their asses off.

The first set of females made the claim that well-paid female researchers were better off than poor unemployed males (a group prone to suicide). The other females said that was nonsense because it's a "man's world". I certainly don't feel like I own the world, or that I have more power than highly educated professional women.

Maybe the number of attempts by females is higher because they use pills etc and are saved, so the individual might attempt suicide more times. Males tend to shoot themselves, etc, therefore they get it done quicker, and maybe have less attempts per person (because they are already dead). This might account for some of the difference.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:12:52 am by Reelyanoob »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 25, 2011, 10:12:49 am »

For example I just googled "female depression" and got 60 million hits, and "male depression" and got 6 million hits. Even though males are 4 times more likely to kill themselves. Admittedly changing that to "suicide" did reverse things (due to the number of successful male suicides) but you'd think that depression would be a pre-requisite of actually committing suicide, and male depression would be worth some sort of research.
How many of the male "suicides" would fall on the description "fit for the Darwin awards"? Because let's face it, men are much more likely to test if a taser is really non-lethal something similarely stupid then women, which may skew the statistics.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:14:52 am by Virex »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 25, 2011, 10:14:29 am »

Oh that's nasty, and incorrect. Darwin awards are not for when you tried to kill yourself. I've never heard of suicide death by taser or anything like that. Shooting yourself or hanging are pretty certainly trying to die.

Also, that's another example of how saying really nasty stuff about males is allowed, yet not about females. Nobody could get away with saying female suicides is because they're "stupid and deserve to die", which is what a Darwin award implies, yet it's pretty acceptable to say this about male suicide victims? (Well, at least in general, I don't think this would fly so well if you said it about a single male victim by name, but males as a group is "ok").
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:21:31 am by Reelyanoob »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 25, 2011, 10:20:52 am »

Also, that's another example of how saying really nasty stuff about males is allowed, yet not about females. Nobody could get away with saying female suicides is because they're "stupid and deserve to die", which is what a darwin award implies.
Well, considering the way people talk about women, I don't see how this is any worse then the copious amount of rape jokes that pop up everywhere when there's no women in sight. We kinda earned this kind of hostility you know...

And talking this way is certainly no more nasty then raping someone, which is a favorite pastime of a not insignificant part of the male population...
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 852