Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)  (Read 12490 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2011, 02:21:18 am »

Buying a bootleg movie/game costs 1-2 dollars (or more/less depending on where you live). Getting a internet connection and computer good enough to download a game/movie in a few hours-1 day is much more expensive. And buying the game/movie legally is 10 times more expensive then buying it illegally (if you can even find it where you live) so buying it illegally is the best option.

Nonsense. If you don't have a computer in the first place what's the point of buying a bootleg?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2011, 03:07:00 am »

Buying a bootleg movie/game costs 1-2 dollars (or more/less depending on where you live). Getting a internet connection and computer good enough to download a game/movie in a few hours-1 day is much more expensive. And buying the game/movie legally is 10 times more expensive then buying it illegally (if you can even find it where you live) so buying it illegally is the best option.

Nonsense. If you don't have a computer in the first place what's the point of buying a bootleg?

If you only have a DVD player, or the internet is not widely available in your area/country.  In most developed countries, it makes no sense whatsoever.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2011, 03:18:43 am »

If you only have a DVD player, or the internet is not widely available in your area/country.  In most developed countries, it makes no sense whatsoever.
In undeveloped contries, people are likely to A) be non computer savvy (so you don't know where/how to pirate software) and/or B) be unable to afford broadband, or more likely not have any broadband provider in your area, and if you have a dialup and are downloading a 6 gig game at 5kb a second it will take ~14 days of having your internet on full time (clogging up your phoneline and costing a lot of money). On the flipside you can get a game/movie for much cheaper and quicker if you just go to the mall and buy a bootleg game/movie.
Yeah, in developed countries they don't have any due to the fact that law enforcement will stop them and because people won't buy them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2011, 03:33:24 am »

In undeveloped contries, people are likely to A) be non computer savvy (so you don't know where/how to pirate software)
Ah, come on. My 8 year old cousin knows how to pirate software. It's not like it requires a high level of savvyness. Also, this has no bearing with what I said
B) be unable to afford broadband, or more likely not have any broadband provider in your area, and if you have a dialup and are downloading a 6 gig game at 5kb a second it will take ~14 days of having your internet on full time (clogging up your phoneline and costing a lot of money).
Not that many games are 5 gb big, and you can download 2-3gb on dialup without much trouble and without clogging your connection too much. Sure, it wont be near-instant instant gratification as with broadband, but it can be done.

Furthermore, if they can't afford broadband, chances are they don't have a top-notch computer exactly, making the whole "5gb game" point moot. If the best thing that runs in your old piece of junk is starcraft, the download size of, say, Assasins Creed, is irrelevant.

Yeah, in developed countries they don't have any due to the fact that law enforcement will stop them and because people won't buy them.
Hmm, actually, there were bootleggers around, till recently. There might still be, for all I know, never was too interested in them. They sold cds and the like for around 1€.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2011, 06:20:31 am »

It's a crime.

Where you steal stuff.

What is your issue?

Here's what US law says about criminal copyright infringement. It's probably among the most severe in the world, the only thing I believe to be universally criminal due to international treaties is making a financial gain from copyright infringement.

§ 506. Criminal offenses

(a) Criminal Infringement. —

(1) In general. — Any person who willfully infringes a copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, if the infringement was committed —

(A) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain;

(B) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000; or

(C) by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

So in the US it's a crime to pirate a movie if you do it past a certain limit, the base act itself isn't a crime as such. Outside this it's civil litigation only (which of course can ruin your life just as easily).

What's amusing is that the maximum penalty for commiting criminal software piracy is the same as for being a crew member on a pirate ship.

In some countries, like Spain it's explicitly legal to make copies of something you own and giving it to friends and family.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2011, 01:14:10 pm »

In undeveloped contries, people are likely to A) be non computer savvy (so you don't know where/how to pirate software)
Ah, come on. My 8 year old cousin knows how to pirate software. It's not like it requires a high level of savvyness.

A lot of eight-year-olds in developed countries are much, much more savvy than people in undeveloped countries who might not even have computers in the first place.

Not that many games are 5 gb big, and you can download 2-3gb on dialup without much trouble and without clogging your connection too much. Sure, it wont be near-instant instant gratification as with broadband, but it can be done.

A lot of people would rather spend two dollars than wait however many days it would take to download a few gigabytes on broadband. Also, we aren't just talking about games here; piracy of things like movies is pretty big in some countries, and for good reason.

It's a crime.

Where you steal stuff.

What is your issue?

As other people have stated, no, it is not necessarily a criminal offense. Also, you don't know what "steal" means, unless you're defining it so broadly that you might as well not use the word at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »

The Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (“PROTECT IP Act”)

Just thought I'd say, how much time do you think they spent coming up with that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

Maybe a day or two.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »

I spent at least half an hour over my previous suggestion of countering it with the "Contrived Rubrics Involving Magniloquently Inscribed Nonsensical Acronymic Labels" Act, but did anyone comment? :)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:37 pm »

I spent at least half an hour over my previous suggestion of countering it with the "Contrived Rubrics Involving Magniloquently Inscribed Nonsensical Acronymic Labels" Act, but did anyone comment? :)

Unless it's not what you meant, you must realize that unless it's for an internet argument, if you spend over half and hour writing a single post, the population of people that are likely to read and then comment on it will dwindle significantly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »

Unless it's not what you meant, you must realize that unless it's for an internet argument, if you spend over half and hour writing a single post, the population of people that are likely to read and then comment on it will dwindle significantly.
Communicating At Really Effusive Forums Using Lexicon Levity You Could Rally And Form The Entertainingest Dispatch!

(No, really, wasn't looking for credit, just saying as how they probably spent longer, and had more people involved, in getting the "PROTECT" concept up and running. :) )

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2011, 05:48:31 pm »

Who Harangues You?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »

Brother, Every Citizen Asks Universally Searching Enquiries...

[edit:With the benefit(?) of a night's sleep, I decided I should have gone with "Uncomfortably" after all.]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:34:25 am by Starver »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

The Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (“PROTECT IP Act”)

Just thought I'd say, how much time do you think they spent coming up with that?

And more importantly, I wanna know if its SUPPOSED to be ironic...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

And more importantly, I wanna know if its SUPPOSED to be ironic...
They were probably being serious, sadly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18