Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)  (Read 12452 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:15 pm »

So..... since I can't read nor understand legal-speak, is there a neutral summary of this bill somewhere? What exactly is it supposed to do that's so repulsive?
Its allowing corporations to use a federal law and "private right of action" to wield Copyright infringement like a massive banhammer of doomy blacklisting +1, sans due process.
So, it's supposed to let companies yell at people demanding money for copyright infringement without trying to take it to court?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »

So..... since I can't read nor understand legal-speak, is there a neutral summary of this bill somewhere? What exactly is it supposed to do that's so repulsive?
Its allowing corporations to use a federal law and "private right of action" to wield Copyright infringement like a massive banhammer of doomy blacklisting +1, sans due process.
So, it's supposed to let companies yell at people demanding money for copyright infringement without trying to take it to court?
No, just block them from the DNS System for anyone in America. You'd need either a Proxy or the actual IP Address to access any site struck so, and theres nothing protecting large user-content sites like Youtube except the fact that they're large sites.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2011, 08:43:56 pm »

No, just block them from the DNS System for anyone in America. You'd need either a Proxy or the actual IP Address to access any site struck so, and theres nothing protecting large user-content sites like Youtube except the fact that they're large sites.
Wait, remind me what the DNS system is. Computer lingo is not my forte either.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »

Either way, I have little sympathy for corporations, even when they do have to go through due process.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »

Woohoo, just got MAFIAAFire installed. I just need a bunker and some nerdtrients and I'll be set,

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

The DNS (Domain Name System) is what translates http://www.bay12forums.com/ into the IP Address the computer uses to reach it on the Internet. Basically its just there to make it easier to remeber sites, since IP Addresses are not the most memorable things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »

The DNS (Domain Name System) is what translates http://www.bay12forums.com/ into the IP Address the computer uses to reach it on the Internet. Basically its just there to make it easier to remeber sites, since IP Addresses are not the most memorable things.
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH. Now it all makes sense.

So basically it lets them do site lockdowns for "copyright infringement." Yeah, I can see how this would be heavily abused.

Question: How does a company block someone out of the DNS? Or do I just know very little about how the Internet works?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »

Filters, Firewalls, Censorship (obvious or not so much), leaning on ISPs, take your pick. The USA was SUPPOSED to relinquish ICANN, but they haven't really, which compounds the problem.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:53:09 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

If they locked a site out through the domain name servers, would one still be able to access that site via its numerical IP address?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »

Filters, Firewalls, Censorship (obvious or not so much), leaning on ISPs, take your pick. The USA was SUPPOSED to relinquish ICANN, but they haven't really, which compounds the problem.
Okay. Now I get it.

And yeah, this seems like it could be pretty bad if a company flips its shit and shuts down anything that even remotely resembles copyright infringement.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2011, 08:56:27 pm »

If they locked a site out through the domain name servers, would one still be able to access that site via its numerical IP address?
Yes. DNS is only a translation system. but then you'd need to tracert in cmd or the like to find the address, unless its posted on a forum.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2011, 08:58:44 pm »

Or something like the wonderful MAFIAAFire.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2011, 09:01:35 pm »

Oh, huh, my email is apparently undeliverable due to security precautions. Curses. Nobody here happens to know how to get in touch with a Senator Grassley that isn't the web form on his senate site, would you? I have this letter filled with arguments for why Republican principles require him to oppose this bill, but I'm about 99% sure he never reads (or has the opportunity to read) stuff submitted on his website. I'll probably snail mail it if I can't figure anything out by the end of the weekend, but it'd be nice to bypass that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »

Oh, huh, my email is apparently undeliverable due to security precautions. Curses. Nobody here happens to know how to get in touch with a Senator Grassley that isn't the web form on his senate site, would you? I have this letter filled with arguments for why Republican principles require him to oppose this bill, but I'm about 99% sure he never reads (or has the opportunity to read) stuff submitted on his website. I'll probably snail mail it if I can't figure anything out by the end of the weekend, but it'd be nice to bypass that.
My Government teacher said recently that Congresspeople pay more attention to the ones who actually snail mail them their letters instead of e-mail them anyway. (phone callers being in the middle of the two)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »

Yeah, I know that's true. I just also know that I'm likely to forget to get stamps every time I'm near a post office and only ever remember this when reading the forums while relaxing. I'm determined now, but how long will that last? Anyway, that's why I tried to email it directly to him instead of doing the web form thing that's already been set up, because at least there's a chance that way that he might read it. Although now I suspect that Senators probably don't get emails at their .gov address from anybody who isn't also emailing from a .gov address or something, and I am forced to assume that it's because they aren't trusted not to download any attachments they see, no matter how suspicious or how clearly that "great picture" clearly has a .exe extension. And I'll be honest they probably don't even monitor those email addresses personally, but it's got a greater chance than a gorram web form.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18