Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)  (Read 12483 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

Well, this has gone in an interesting, yet not completely unrelated direction.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

Every discussion that mentions piracy at all turns into a debate about the ethics of piracy. Which is something that bothers me as well. I started reading this thread hoping to find some useful information about the bill other than people just running around yelling at each other.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2011, 07:31:50 pm »

Every discussion that mentions piracy at all turns into a debate about the ethics of piracy. Which is something that bothers me as well. I started reading this thread hoping to find some useful information about the bill other than people just running around yelling at each other.

EDIT: I was talking about Nadaka just now who was from an entirely different thread. I have been on GD WAY TOO MUCH today.

Now that I think about there really hasn't been any yelling.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:36:41 pm by freeformschooler »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »

its seems more like a one sided debate than anything. Everyone (almost) vs. Criptfiend.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »

In this case, there was a very good reason for that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2011, 07:35:50 pm »

I mostly agreed with Cript's underlying points though, just not the way he presented them. Piracy is still illegal, and by law it is wrong. The way that awareness of the law (and what certain corporations [namely the RIAA] would have you believe to be the law) is spread, however, is pretty silly. I usually disagree with it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »

I mostly agreed with Cript's underlying points though, just not the way he presented them. Piracy is still illegal, and by law it is wrong.

Funny, if that was his "underlying point" then I have to wonder why anyone was arguing at all, since everyone here already knows that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »

Eh. I think I said this at some point. The bill is boring. You are not going to find any other opinions about it in this forum, so there is not much to talk about.

Funny, if that was his "underlying point" then I have to wonder why anyone was arguing at all, since everyone here already knows that.

Well it started with me arguing that it is in fact immoral, when that one guy said it was not. Then apparently everyone jumped on semantics.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »

It wasn't about "semantics", but sure, if you want to think that, then you can go ahead, I guess.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:28 pm »

Oh my god. You said thievery! The law calls it something else!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2011, 08:50:31 pm »

I think the point is that there are actual differences that are relevant, and insisting that it is thievery only clouds the issue. Especially because anyone who disagrees with your definition is pretty much certain to insist that it's just a PR move designed to ensure that nobody ever supports it (because who would support stealing).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:44 pm »

Robin Hood would.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »

It was never a discussion of semantics. There were fundamental differences to be addressed.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »

Oh my god. You said thievery! The law calls it something else!

You were equating piracy with theft, and continued to attempt to justify the link. This was not just an issue of terms, it was an issue of concepts.

It wasn't even an issue of definitions; you clearly knew what theft is and what piracy is, and used those terms to describe them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

It's a crime.

Where you steal stuff.

What is your issue?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18