Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 124

Author Topic: Metal... GEAR?  (Read 131200 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal... GEAR?
« Reply #840 on: September 13, 2015, 10:16:28 pm »

At what point/mission do you unlock the ability to play as your crew? I assume the 'head option' slot has to have some use.
Found a very important secret.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I tried this yesterday, and all I could think of was the doctor at the beginning of the game talking about how a bump to the head could cause bad things for Snake. Mashing R3 to kill snake didn't work.

Right now I just returned to Medbay to do the side op, and I found one of the doors was blue so I figure it must be in there... but no, it's someone else... What the hell is going on? I assume Snake just doesn't remember things correctly...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:22:51 pm by OzyTheSage »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 13, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »

At what point/mission do you unlock the ability to play as your crew? I assume the 'head option' slot has to have some use.
Probably after 4?  Might be later though.Combat Unit, probably after mission 8 then.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:55:03 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:02 pm »

As soon as you get a Combat Unit.
Seriously.
Any people you put in the Combat Unit, you can select during Mission Sortie (for any kind of mission, I believe - main op, side op, FOB...)
Also apparently if you put Hideo in your Combat Unit and play as him, he'll do stuff in the ACC screen besides sit there and stare at the floor.
To my knowledge, the head option slot only works when you're playing as a Combat Unit staff or
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 13, 2015, 10:39:27 pm »

Spoiler: Quiet (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 13, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »

Her whole thing's just a really complicated justification for gratuitous T&A.  It's kind of grotesque.

Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:14 pm »

As soon as you get a Combat Unit.
Ah, I was confused because I unlocked that a long while back but never saw the option to play as anyone else. I guess it's because you have to play as Snake the first time through a mission.

I assume playing as people in your combat unit levels them up? If so would it be beneficial to take your R&D guys out and do stuff as them to raise their skill?

E: Forgot to mention that I feel dumb now
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:49:45 pm by OzyTheSage »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:01 pm »

Maybe it's because Kojima is Japanese? In case anyone forgot, Japan doesn't exactly think the same as other countries do about what's acceptable for things like, say, scantily clad women and boobshots.
Ah, I was confused because I unlocked that a long while back but never saw the option to play as anyone else. I guess it's because you have to play as Snake the first time through a mission.

I assume playing as people in your combat unit levels them up? If so would it be beneficial to take your R&D guys out and do stuff as them to raise their skill?
I think it levels up combat skill. If you want your R&D guys to be super intelligent beefcakes, go ahead, but it will take a hell of a long time. :P
Black lives matter.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 13, 2015, 11:01:57 pm »

Pretty sure it's whenever you unlock combat team deployments.  You unlock headgear lategame.

The game encourages you to go faster for better rank. 
If you can plow through them quickly with lethal, then yea, you will get a better rank.
If you take it really slow stealthing/trying to do it perfectly, you won't get a better rank.

It's totally possible to stealth most missions really quickly once you're comfortable with the game mechanics.  Between a silenced sniper rile, CQC and empty magazines it's pretty easy to open a path to your objectives.  The difficult part is resisting the urge to indulge my inner kleptomaniac.

Spoiler: Quiet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The End/MGS3 (click to show/hide)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:25 pm »

I unlocked foxhound and almost never get less than an A.  My playstyle is kind of fast and reckless, lots of abusing the couple seconds you have before someone detects you to run around and choke people out.

Also protip.  Don't hold up heavies.  They'll call your bluff and it'll cost you the foxhound bonus.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 13, 2015, 11:25:28 pm »

I would say with heavies, it's safe to CQC them, then kick them and hold them up on the ground. They can't attack you on the ground, I believe.
Also, if you've got your arm selected, sprint at someone and left-click. They get knocked on their ass and if they have a helmet on, it comes off. Every time.
Black lives matter.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 13, 2015, 11:27:09 pm »

Anyone can call on you, heavies are just much more likely to. You can immediately tell who's going to try and be a hero because you can't tell them to lie down, and their arms slowly lower. In addition, if you CQC at the moment the knife comes out you'll just wreck them anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »

I don't know how to kick.

And yeah, I noticed the issue with Q letting you know who'll attack.  The issue is I usually have it happen in situations where I can't afford to CQC.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 13, 2015, 11:34:38 pm »

To kick:
Approach downed man.
Left-click.
It'll change their condition (Asleep > Awake, Stunned > Awake, Held up > Stunned) but if you kick them too much they become The Dead.
Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 13, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »

Okay, I thought you meant kicking somebody down and then holding them up on hte ground, I didn't realize you could kick people more than once.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 13, 2015, 11:43:35 pm »

It's useful if you want to, say, tranq a large group and then interrogate one before you fulton them all.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 124