Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271562 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Preseason 3 Overhaul
« Reply #10545 on: December 09, 2012, 02:58:55 pm »

Knirisk, you should probably be able to do all roles decently before you start playing solo queue.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: December 09, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »

Well, after the new patch I've found myself playing LoL without a friend asking me to before, something that has not happened since I got the dota 2 beta invite.

First surprise: Being a ranged carry is now a bit fun. Not as fun a being a fed magina, but still fun enough to consider playing it. Special mention to motherfucking blade of the ruined king. I was able to win 1VS1 against a fiora with an empty bloodthirster as kog with only it and berserker boots. Eating a full ult included.

Second surprise: Items with actives. Fun actives. There are not lots of them, but it's a step forward. Shard of true ice on a fiddlestick about to ult is... not big enough to be awesome, but it makes you feel at least good.

I still hate the fact that carries are supersquishy and cannot wipe a team by themselves if properly fed, but this is a step forward. And the fact that there is still no necrnomicon like object for supports. But hey, it's a step forward, and I might play this a bit more than when friends ask me to.

Also, I can't wait to try xerath with liandry and rylai. And on the subject of xerath, I think Clarvoyance is a must have on him. What do you guys think?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »

I'm actually not a huge fan of the sudden influx of items with actives. It's fine on Dota 2 where the game is balanced by everything being OP, but in league it basically means that where before if you had more than one active it was unusual, now everybody is taking a ton of S3 items because they all have great actives in addition to good stats.
I'm also not a huge fan of the hypercarries of Dota. They mean you can be a huge jackass to your team and then do whatever because you're unstoppable and can 1v5. And carries SHOULD be supersquishy, ESPECIALLY if they can wipe an entire team. If you think anything else, then you clearly never played League during the bruiser meta. Fuck that shit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:51:39 pm by frostshotgg »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: December 09, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »

I had the strangest game yesterday. Playing Draft normal, and nobody called top, and people were asking eachother for support... IMPOASSABRU!!!

Then I went 10/0. Fun times.
I've had both of these happen, though nobody top is by far the rarer of the two. Notably, support is one of my favorite roles, so usually when someone else calls it I go "awww" a bit inside.

I'm also consistently shocked when someone calls jungle immediately, even though it seems to be happening with decent regularity.

Knirisk, you should probably be able to do all roles decently before you start playing solo queue.
What if you're vaguely decently but don't want to the vast majority of the time?

I'm actually not a huge fan of the sudden influx of items with actives. It's fine on Dota 2 where the game is balanced by everything being OP, but in league it basically means that where before if you had more than one active it was unusual, now everybody is taking a ton of S3 items because they all have great actives in addition to good stats.
I agree, but only because I'm too inept to actually remember to use all my stuff. I have no idea if it's balanced or a good idea or what.

I'm also not a huge fan of the hypercarries of Dota. They mean you can be a huge jackass to your team and then do whatever because you're unstoppable and can 1v5. And carries SHOULD be supersquishy, ESPECIALLY if they can wipe an entire team. If you think anything else, then you clearly never played League during the bruiser meta. Fuck that shit.
Also really in favor of this. Unless "properly fed" means "the game ended a while ago but you've been kicking them for a good half hour just for laughs," a carry should only be able to wipe the enemy team if nobody kills them first.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »

When even in slight doubt, assume an item active is definitely imbalanced. Look at what happened with DFG. It had to be nerfed *3 times in a row* to get it to a state where everybody wouldn't rush it. And that was when there weren't many item actives to balance.

Active items are a lazy solution to having poor champion kits. League was really good about this over the past couple years precisely because it didn't have a million active items, so items were purely augmentations to what champions already had, and if a champion didn't have, like Xin, then it was obvious that he needed work. Xin could stealthily be useless as hell in Dota because he could just by this this and that items to cover up his weakenss.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: December 09, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »

Look at vayne. How do you play her at the start of the game? Positioning and focus is all that matters. Now add a bloodthirster, an infinity edge, two phantom dancers and a guardian angel to that vayne. Do all those objects change the way of playing her? Not a bit.
The point of actives is giving some change in how you play based on what you have. Getting the wraiths now means that every two minutes you and your carry can go into the enemy jungle and try to get someone. Crucible means that you should not give your life for your carry, since you can potentially save him from being ccd to death. And ruined king means that it might be a good idea getting closer before starting to shoot, since it can mean a extra nuke and chasing ability.
And knowing how morello balances the game, it is pretty clear that new items are going to be better than the old ones until either the new get nerfed or the older get each one a buff that makes them unique (knowing riot, I bet on the nerf part).

On the carry side of the discussion, being able to 1vs5 does not makes you a jackass if you need to be babysitted for half an hour. And in that case you can't 1 vs 5. To do that, you need to get loads of kills early game while the enemy gets none. The closest comparison to what I mean is a nasus in each team. If one gets free farm and the other doesn't, he can roll his way into victory by himself. But if both nasus have free farm, it comes down to what nasus dies first, which comes dowj to their teamates. And one nasus not getting farm isn't the result of the other nasus doing really well (those guys alone are in a stalemate unless one of them is less fed or does something dumb like not focusing the other nasus). In short,cwhat I mean is that a carry should catabolize how well the team is doing. If you do superb, it should be an assurance of your victory.

And about the bruiser meta. I played in that time. And in the time when mordekaiser was the only viable top. And when sona was the best support by far. It's the thing I hate the most about lol, the metagame. But I shall touch that topic another day, it's too late here.

PD: I just read your last post, and I have to be completely against it. But as I said, I lack the time to answer it the way it should now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: December 09, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

Out of every character I ever played the only one who I was anywhere close to competent with was Son Goku... uhhh... Wukong! Yes that is the name here.

I can never seem to exactly pin down the winning strategies. Maybe I play too defensively.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: December 09, 2012, 06:31:21 pm »

On the carry side of the discussion, being able to 1vs5 does not makes you a jackass if you need to be babysitted for half an hour.
See for example Twitch.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: December 09, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »

See for example Twitch.

Twitch can't 1v5 he would get stunned and bursted down way before he even had chance to kill two if he was on his own.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: December 09, 2012, 06:45:09 pm »

I don't think anyone should be able to 1v5 in an even game if the enemies have their own carry. If a carry with 4 teammates ldies before doing much damage to one guy, I don't think it's exactly even game. One person might be pulling the weight, but if he can kill five players alone, might as well split-push to victory.

EDIT: In other news, is Teemo FOTM right now? I'm kinda tired of him.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:46:41 pm by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: December 09, 2012, 06:48:31 pm »

See for example Twitch.

Twitch can't 1v5 he would get stunned and bursted down way before he even had chance to kill two if he was on his own.
Oh, right. I wasn't thinking straight. I was thinking about getting a pentakill in a short timeframe instead of going alone vs. a whole team.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: December 09, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

Don't play Vayne with two PDs, you'll get more DPS from a Last Whisper instead. And no, they won't. You know what should have me playing differently? Graves or Ashe. Riot has spent years making over 100 different characters, each with their own distinct playstyle, although some are more distinct than others.

Here's the issue with those active items. I can't debate against them. Therein lies the problem. Active items are always so much better than passive items that there's no choice, unless they are complete shit.

As for hypercarries, do you really think a game that becomes centered around one or two characters is interesting and fun for all 10 players involved? What you're describing is a game that's 4v4 with each team having someone useless for most of the game, and then it becomes a 1v1 for the rest of the time. I wouldn't want to be anyone in that situation.

If you played in the bruiser meta, you'd know how miserable everybody being unkillable and doing ungodly amounts of damage was. And you *want* that? I think you should just stick to Dota, which you seem to enjoy more. I'd like to keep the game I find fun untainted by people who want it to be the same thing as what they find fun.

Neon, what is it you've been having trouble with the most?

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: December 09, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »

Don't play Vayne with two PDs, you'll get more DPS from a Last Whisper instead.
Gentleman Gustaf does not agree.
http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a-different-view/gentleman-gustaf/21273-yelling-about-last-whisper
On Vayne and Corki, because of the true damage, no amount of armor can cause LW to beat out PD. In fact, past a certain point, more Armor makes LW a less palatable choice, simply because the amount of true damage you are getting is far outstripping how much physical damage you could gain.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »

While that's interesting, the change in stat costs and new itemization options for S3 make old mathcrafting moot. I'm going to go with the standard until proven otherwise. If Gustaf does come to that conclusion again, I'll happily eat my boot, but until then it's staying on my foot.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: December 09, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »

Sion is perfectly capable of 1v4ing, if not 1v5ing given some circumstances, such as a lack of CC/Ignite/Exhaust, or people trickling in 1-2 at a time, as well as inability to kite something that is too easily run around.

The attack speed, lifesteal, decent amount of shield, passive that ends up counting a lot more than people give it credit for, and a very reliable stun make it fairly easy to grind people in to paste. This is all assuming a good lane where you're able to farm your E well enough to count, but still, he ranks among my top 3 "can solo enemy teams for extended amounts of time," along with Twitch (assuming good positioning to hit everything with your ultimate) and Singed (because running around doing %'s of their health with Rylai's/Liandry's is broken as hell).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1067