Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567095 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3690 on: February 07, 2014, 11:06:49 am »

Thank ye angel, zangi, robsoie & blaze!

For elona+, the foreign characters, they scare me D:

Do not mind em.  The foreign part of the game is like... literally months away unless you cheat.  I have not reached it yet, still content with CanadaNorth Tyris.

Agreed. I've put in a good 100 hours into Elona+ through all its versions and never got to the untranslated content. The game is just such a nice sandbox that I never get around to finishing the main quest. My understanding, though, is that South Tyris is pretty playable even in its mostly untranslated state.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3691 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:20 pm »

So um, went with the pet little girl, heard she could use equipment, and uh, is it normal for us to be making pretty eyes at eachother? I also get messages about her 'growing up', that have an effect?

-e
What the hell? Why is, what's going on with the little girl?
Flames, death, 'Serdecker the little girl starts to like getting hit hard.'
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:24:29 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: February 07, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »

What do you mean by pretty eyes? If you're referring to the heart that sometimes appears over pets' heads, that signifies that your pet likes you a bit more. Here's the wikia page.

"name has grown up" means that name leveled up, while "name feels good when hit hard" and other such green messages mean a stat increased (constitution in this case).
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: February 07, 2014, 08:34:12 pm »

So um, went with the pet little girl, heard she could use equipment, and uh, is it normal for us to be making pretty eyes at eachother? I also get messages about her 'growing up', that have an effect?

-e
What the hell? Why is, what's going on with the little girl?
Flames, death, 'Serdecker the little girl starts to like getting hit hard.'

What SirAaronIII said... be prepared for more Elona-ism. :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: February 07, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »

It's not in every games that your ally can be a murdering machine

.. that will smile innocently at you ...

Awkward situations : the game :D

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

The little girl also has a fairly decent stat block, so you can generally keep her around for a while, and after you get her affection up and marry her you can make some decent heirs. Engagement rings and amulets are good for getting the affection up quickly, but you've got to be careful they don't weigh her down too much or you won't be able to put decent items on her (unless of course the engagement stuff is also artifact, which can happen).
Nothing important here, move along.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: February 08, 2014, 12:24:04 am »

The little girl is a solid pet/ally. And can be quite powerful if you take the time to work with her and properly equip her. Granted the same can be said of most any pet, its just a matter of how much work it'll take.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:30 am »

The nice thing about your little girl is that she can pretty much wear anything you can, so as you get new gear you can hand-me-down your older stuff to her, or put the armor that you really like but it doesn't quite have the enchantments you want on her.

Supposedly they can use ranged weapons, but I've never seen them use anything I've given them (or the stone they usually start with) so I'm not sure if it's an AI issue or they just can't do it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:23 am »

If they have to fight stuff like hedgehogs or slimes, they will use their ranged weapon in order to preserve their normal weapons, but they still do it face to face, so a shotgun or pistol is a fairly good choice.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:00 am »

I never really found allies to be very worthwhile. They die so easily, and I found it sufficiently effective and vastly simpler to hoard skillgains for myself.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: February 08, 2014, 01:58:56 am »

The nice thing about your little girl is that she can pretty much wear anything you can, so as you get new gear you can hand-me-down your older stuff to her, or put the armor that you really like but it doesn't quite have the enchantments you want on her.

Supposedly they can use ranged weapons, but I've never seen them use anything I've given them (or the stone they usually start with) so I'm not sure if it's an AI issue or they just can't do it.
Pets are also good if you like to use light armor but find really nice heavy stuff. I've given my pets stuff like diamond plate mails and adamantium knight shields because they're way too heavy for spellcasting, and also artifact cloaks and jewelry because my slots are filled. Like Ogdibus says, they will occasionally use ranged weapons. It really depends on the type of creature; for example, it looks like bells use throwing attacks exclusively, while more melee-oriented pets like golden knights will only sometimes use their ranged weapon.
I never really found allies to be very worthwhile. They die so easily, and I found it sufficiently effective and vastly simpler to hoard skillgains for myself.
I agree with this sentiment. While on my last and most successful game I used a gang of 5 pets, I found they got too crowded and didn't leave me many opportunities to train, so I put them all away after Zeome. These days, I usually only summon them in "oh my god i'm gonna get killed" moments or for higher-difficulty dungeons. I've also been way too lazy to gene engineer them to reach their maximum power. And I don't ride anything.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: February 08, 2014, 01:59:50 am »

You haven't had the right ones or haven't given them enough attention. There are some that makes the game boring because they are too good

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:00 am »

I agree with 5+ pets just tending to be too crowded unless you are using all purely ranged pets. I find I prefer to use only 1 pet or none. I think 1 pet works out nicely for using extra gear, especially since a lot of it is too heavy for me to use and would require a significant investment of change material scrolls and possibly flying scrolls too since my char is a fairy. My lil girl is outfitted in a lot of that heavy gear and has grown into quite the murder machine because of it.

As for pets being worthwhile, few if any start out like that. There are some that are significantly easier to get to the state of "worthwhile". Then there are others that have a large list of things you need to do to get them to that state. In E+ a pet is as strong as the effort you put into it, which is probably the biggest change over vanilla where you were better off capturing newer and stronger pets to replace old ones as you go.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: February 08, 2014, 02:41:24 am »

By too-good pets, you're talking about bells, aren't you? Yeah, they're pretty strong for relatively little investment. Just grab a gun or a shuriken or panties or something ranged, maybe some rubynus if you feel generous, and watch the gatling-like shots. They'll wreck nearly anything. If you add more slots for bonuses and enchantments...

Either that or already-strong mobs like spiral kings and the like, which have been hyped up something fierce by the wikia. Of course they'd be strong because they're base level 65.  Though with Elona+ there are way stronger enemies, as well as even faster bells.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:27 am »

Personnally i like to have a lot of allies, even if half of them may die early (when better equipped it's much better though), i always have fun in having my personal army of minions fighting those monsters.

For the training grind of my spells, it's always better to send them to town before, as they may kill things before i can even shoot them.

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 291