Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 567259 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3630 on: December 06, 2013, 07:15:20 pm »

Its one of the few dragons that doesn't have a breath attack, so its safe to use.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: December 06, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »

That sounds like a huge nerf about magic.
Some monsters are strong enough against what high level spell i am casting at them so if it now deals ridiculous low damage in range, i really don't like the sound of that (as getting in melee at the point of the game my character is into is simple suicide)
Looks like i'll stay on my current 1.30 then.
I dunno, the dart nerf doesn't seem too bad seeing as the max sight range (and thus max range in general) is only 7, so you'll be doing at worst 80% damage with 80% accuracy.

But I agree on the bolts/balls nerf. That's a little intense.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39:12 pm »

Its one of the few dragons that doesn't have a breath attack, so its safe to use.

Ahhhh, but I plan on evolving it.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: December 06, 2013, 08:11:36 pm »

Oddly enough, its evolutions also don't have breath attacks or fire spells.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:19 pm »

My god, the Ensemble special action is amazing. Maybe even overpowered. It's insane: I went from barely succeeding low level Party Time quests to absolutely crushing even the highest level ones. I mean, what Party Time quest cannot be won with 2177 points?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: December 06, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »

I've found control magic works pretty well, to answer the unanswered part of your previous question.  It seems to work based upon a comparison of your skill level and spell level (or casting level for NPC casting or attribute level for a breath attack?) such that if you never cast a ball spell until you get control magic, you can easily train control magic just eating through all those ball spellbooks you stockpiled up until then. 

My chaos cloud uses chaos ball constantly, and never hits me or my other allies. 

As for making monstrous creatures useful, that's why you capture and ranch asuras - gene engineer them hands!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: December 08, 2013, 01:42:10 pm »

Control magic is pretty much a requirement for a caster pet, unless it only uses dart spells. If it didn't have the skill to start, I'd have to gene engineer it in, before I even consider using it.

An asura would work for adding hands, though most any humanoid mob would do the trick, since the dragon pup doesn't start with any hands, and give it some of the other slots as well. Though if you want to add tons of hands and make it quadra-wield weapons the asura is the best bet.

I don't like the sound of the magic nerf, but then again my wiz experience is limited to the xmas version where they were horribly gimped. I never got around to building a wizard in the versions where they were getting buffed. *shrugs*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:41 pm »

Yeah, my pre-Elona+ character was built in the "DD magic is crap" era, so I basically built a "magic archer" around the concept of throwing buffs/debuffs and then having Marksman and a really good bow and arrows with magic ammo. 

In general, I tend to like archer-type characters the best, especially if you have more than 2, the melee pets just trip over each other, and the magic pets aren't particularly smart about what they do.  Throwing an artifact bow/laser on a ranged pet, however, turns them into super flak-turrets.  Only problem then is getting them enough bow skill that they can actually hit the tough monsters, and eye of mind.  (The Fire A Volley special becomes pretty cool when you have an actual half-dozen guys capable of really dealing damage with it.)

I do really like the chaos cloud as mob control, though.  If I took the time to gene engineer it into not dying in three hits every time I find a boss by letting it actually equip SOMETHING besides a ranged weapon, it'd probably be pretty cool. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: December 08, 2013, 06:13:22 pm »

Wizardly stuff besides the boosts and debuffs is rather useless to me, honestly I swear, even at 90% I'll fail to cast my x bolts when I REALLY need it. Rather have a Repeating Crossbow/Pistole. More emphasis on repeating crossbows now because they do poison damage and when you get something to enough poison level it'll just up and die eventually.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: December 09, 2013, 02:53:41 am »

I'm noticing that my game volume is way too loud. I have dropped it to the LOWEST setting possible (1 on the volume bar), and it still is too loud to listen to certain videos at max volume while I play.

Any ideas?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: December 09, 2013, 04:22:27 pm »

is all of the south part of the story line japanese only? so you can still only play in the north in elona+ in english?

what is involved in translating this stuff to english? does someone have to manually do it or can it be done with a utility?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: December 09, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

I'm noticing that my game volume is way too loud. I have dropped it to the LOWEST setting possible (1 on the volume bar), and it still is too loud to listen to certain videos at max volume while I play.

Any ideas?
You can turn off music entirely via options. Not sure what else you can do.
is all of the south part of the story line japanese only? so you can still only play in the north in elona+ in english?

what is involved in translating this stuff to english? does someone have to manually do it or can it be done with a utility?
All the original Elona text can be found in the data folder, but all the plus material must use a different system.
It looks like all the text is hardcoded into the game.exe so there's not much we can do at this point.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »

Well, if someone was willing to, couldn't they take all that original text, Google translate it, and then make a little guide showing pictures of all the NPCs and new items and what they say? That way it would at least be manageable.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:43 pm »

Elona Wiki has a mostly complete walkthrough of South Tyris's questline and a fair amount of Lost Irva's quests. Most of the fluff remains untranslated.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: December 11, 2013, 12:42:04 am »

All the original Elona text can be found in the data folder, but all the plus material must use a different system.
It looks like all the text is hardcoded into the game.exe so there's not much we can do at this point.

Which makes very little sense to me... Why would you want to hardcode things into a mod?  Wouldn't you want to make your mod more... moddable?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 291