Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729541 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1815 on: November 06, 2011, 08:45:34 am »

...Wasn't there an RTD that did something like that a while ago? With the exploring different worlds for some mysterious agency?
But who cares, as long as I get to be a trans-dimensional Power Ranger Ripoff (PRRO) I'm happy! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 06, 2011, 09:41:59 am »

I think that Elemental setting I posted a bit ago might work. Once major conflict per city, and aside from the theme the GM decides what the problem is and works it out from there.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 06, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

Sorry if this is breaking the flow of conversation or something, but this idea has been bouncing around my head for a few weeks and I have to get it out, or I will murder someone. Horribly.
Basically, it's an simple RtD, based on nature, more specifically on the red in tooth and claw part, and how awesome it would be if you throw in copious amounts of magic (think Discworld, but nowhere near as nice). With no further ado, I shall get started.

For far too long, you have lived with the comforts of civilization. For far too long have you been spared from labor by machines, and cushioned from the realities of life by your notions of "currency", and "earning". You have been spared from the elements by your "buildings". You have been spared from danger by your "weapons". This has gone on for far too long.

You shall know of these comforts no longer. You shall not care for weapons, for you shall be armed with perfect weapons. But do not take comfort in this, for every other being shall have perfect weapons also. You shall have a sharp mind, and the quickest reactions, and you shall need them if you are to survive. You shall not "earn", You will get what you have taken and no more. Should you fail, there will be nothing to cushion your fall. But, if against all odds, and the antagonism of all other creatures, you survive, and and perhaps prosper, your legacy shall be everlasting and you shall live on forever within your descendants.

Remember all I have said. Remember it truly, for it is the truth. You shall be all you were meant to be. You shall be magnificent. You shall be Wild.

I hope that conveys what the premise of the game will be. I will try to lay out some things in a bit more detail below.

Area/Background: Take place within the hub (for lack of a better name). In the center of the world (Whether the world is round or flat I do not know) and shall contain as many types of landscapes as possible (Plains are not possible, because of obvious reasons) This mountain range is huge, rich in both life and minerals (far richer than anywhere else) and is seperated from the rest of the drab miserable world by a great desert. Some of the sapient creatures (Dwarfs! In high savagery! It can only end well) may come to harvest some of the great mineral riches there are, and, of course, be murdered brutally.

Creatures: All manner of creatures from Feral Dragons, to that rabbit from Monty Python and the holy grail (I shall make it so they are not horribly overpowered). Most will be a standard creature + Abillity, though some will be more complex, like a spiritual parasite and elementals (Not sure about these) to though ome interesting stuff into the mix. The fact you can play as Dragons and other powerful creatures if balanced by a little thing I call fame. In a nutshell, the more renowned/famous creature you are, the more people want to slay you/ havest your organs. Because unicorn solves everything.

That is pretty much all I can be bothered to write right now, as it's late at night. And, if some people would like to sign up already (I will feel awesome if this happens), there are two spots available, as I will start with 4 players to get the hang of GMing, steadily increasing them, but I don't want to prevent people who don't read this thread from having a chance.

All ideas and questions welcome!
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

I'll take one of those spots because this idea sounds interesting. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »

Mildly interested. How many RTDs have you seen? I just want to know how much you've 'learned' by just watching other RTDs.

Also calling the second slot for now so no jerk ninja's the slot while I'm asking the question. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 06, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »

Sounds cool I'll reserve a spot.
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 06, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »

Too long, skimmed, then read adequately again. I'll take a spot.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 06, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »

I would like on the waitlist.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 06, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

Well, you could say no reservations on the spots. And I'd like to seee what you could do so count me interested.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »

Moral victory achieved!
Tarran and SeriousConcentrate are in, all others on the waiting-list unless you manage to get in on the main thread.

Mildly interested. How many RTDs have you seen? I just want to know how much you've 'learned' by just watching other RTDs.

Also calling the second slot for now so no jerk ninja's the slot while I'm asking the question. :P

I've been lurking around here for quite a while, so I've read quite a few, and tried to get through RtRtd, but probably ended up missing about four or five. I am somewhat copying Gatleos in a way by starting out with a somewhat complex premise (though nowhere near as complex as RtRtD) and no prior experience.

Tomorrow night I shall finish up with the background information and make a list of the creatures. I was planning on just giving a short description of the creatures, and when someone signs up they can pick a few for me to give more complete descriptions and rules. Thoughts on this?
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »

I want in, even if it is just the waitinglist
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 06, 2011, 05:52:31 pm »

Experience doesn't matter as much as enthusiasm, trust me. If you love your concept or your players enough you'll want to see the RTD through to the end regardless. My only recommendation is that, considering this looks like it will be a fight-heavy RTD, is keep combat as simple as possible. If you make it too complicated then there will be times when you'll lose enthusiasm for working on it, but even so that shouldn't stop you too much. ^^^ I do like the idea of just a list of creatures and then they get expounded upon when chosen. It gets things started quickly and, when a player joins with a creature that hasn't been used before, you'll have experience with how things are going to make sure it's balanced well.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 06, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »

I've been lurking around here for quite a while, so I've read quite a few, and tried to get through RtRtd, but probably ended up missing about four or five. I am somewhat copying Gatleos in a way by starting out with a somewhat complex premise (though nowhere near as complex as RtRtD) and no prior experience.
Ehh, fair enough, I'll keep my spot. ;)

Experience doesn't matter as much as enthusiasm, trust me.
I disagree. It's a distant memory, but I believe I had enthusiasm in my first RTD, and it died, since I made a decent amount of mistakes. Same with USDF.

Newbie mistakes: The first I didn't make it exciting enough, I made a bad combat system, and I didn't make any exciting objectives. I can't really remember what I did wrong in the second, but I believe it either related to rewriting the rules, making the rules too complex, or something like that.

Even if you have enthusiasm, if you have a crappy RTD, I don't think people will enjoy it. It's like a movie: Even if you make it with all your heart, if it sucks... well... it sucks.

That's not saying enthusiasm isn't important. Oh no, it's really, really important. But experience is very important too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:09:31 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 06, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »

I'm mainly in agreement with Gatleos regarding Nivm's You Become The Portal stuff. It's too complex, too weird, and too specific for my tastes; I'd much prefer some fairly basic premise ("You're Power Rangers") that can transition fairly easily into whatever the next person wants ("Your enemies have fled, Earth is- OH WAIT THERE'S A DISTURBANCE YOUR TALENTS ARE NEEDED IN SPAAAAAACE!").

A superhero team setup or maybe some people getting shunted around by forces outside their control (something like The Odyssey, for instance) sounds about right to me.

In fact, I guess I'll just ask now: Is there any interest in me starting up Eternal RTD, using Power Rangers as a baseline (or either one on its own, for that matter)? Anything else you'd prefer/not prefer/like to say?

As for experience vs enthusiasm... experience really is important, but it's not like there's any way to get that without just jumping in and seeing what works.

That said, we're always on hand to provide some of the more obvious and important advice, if you want it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 06, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »

Experience VS enthusiasm, RE my opinion: Both are equally important, which is, massively important. I'd have to say that enthuseasm wins out by a small margin, because there's no RTD if the GM hates it or doesn't want to continue/start it.

And Start it up Irony! Let's try this out.

It has just occurred to me that power rangers had that combining mecha thing right? Can we have/design our own giant robots?

I'm basically going to make mine the MegasXLR if I can.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 661