Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729546 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1800 on: November 05, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but I always enjoyed the way episodic media is written: there usually isn't a single writer who handles the whole thing from beginning to end, there's always at least a few. When things get rough and deadlines are approaching, canon might just be played fast and loose. Retcons could happen. You might even get the feeling that two writers with different views on the story are having a tug-of-war behind the scenes, sabotaging plotlines and tossing in their own obnoxious Mary Sues.

In other words, all the worst parts of fiction come together and make the overall product far more entertaining somehow. Think about your average succession fort: players' differing plans and lack of communication are often what make fun and entertaining stories. That's the kind of thing I think an Endless RTD would be fantastic for.

Another way to expand on this would be to allow other posters in the thread (who are neither GM nor player) to make their own side characters. They wouldn't be rolled for, but would be controlled by whomever created them and could potentially contribute to the story (depending on whether the current GM hates them passionately or not).
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:18 pm »

Would we have an unified system? As we're going more story-based, that's not so necessary, but otherwise we'll need to convert stuff every time we change GMs.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 05, 2011, 09:21:02 pm »

For some reason this talk of episodic media is making me want to make a Power Rangers-style RTD. Which might fit well for an Eternal RTD, at least at first.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 05, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »

Power Rangers! If you do that I AM IN!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 05, 2011, 09:32:14 pm »

For some strange reason the moment I read that sentence, my mind immediately jumped to that magical girl genre plot bunny that's been bugging me for months.

No I have no idea how that happened. Dammit japan!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 05, 2011, 09:33:15 pm »

I call Walter Emmanuel Jones if this MMPR thing happens.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 05, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

I only have hazy recollections of power rangers, but I call whatever one can commit violent atrocities and get away with it. Would prefer it to not be rangers.

Every RTD character I ever make will be based off of Derm from fantasy world RTRTD now.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 05, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »

I only have hazy recollections of power rangers, but I call whatever one can commit violent atrocities and get away with it. Would prefer it to not be rangers.
The one who gets mindcontrolled/corrupted a bit too frequently for it to be completely accidental. Or maybe one of the inevitable evil clones. The many, many evil clones.

Does the last sentence mean you'd rather not be a ranger, or you'd rather an Eternal RTD not be rangers, or what?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 05, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about. I guess I just want to be a villain protagonist on the level of Black mage and power rangers (From what I remember[Very very little{and from about 10 years ago}]) doesn't really allow for that.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 06, 2011, 03:32:14 am »

I've never seen a Power Rangers episode in my life. Basing the story on an existing setting would be a terrible idea, but I'm fine with 'superpowered team fights evil and crime and whatever'. That's what they do, right?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 06, 2011, 03:51:29 am »

SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 06, 2011, 04:25:59 am »

Since I actually posted here about the topic, I'll have to tender the guess that you guys have really short attention spans. The Endless RTD would work perfectly with ideas discussed in that post, earlier, and after; as every player is making the decision to DM when they post a character, and the character is linked to the world they're going to write about. As the game goes on, the actions of their character are going to give them ideas about how they'll end up GMing (and indeed, the game will make a good way to pass around ideas), and on each ~gating they will decide/vote/roll on who is ready for a turn yet, and whether the current GM becomes a player (the first time) or leaves the game and lets someone else become a player. Obviously you'd need a rule about all the starting players GMing before the new do, and perhaps something that encourages a player to see their world through, so it doesn't just drop when they get bored...sounds like that would best be used to determine whether they get to play again or not; dropping the game early means your character can't take the strain of being The Gate and dies. Although, such will mostly comes down to judging beforehand how many turns you'll go for and planning accordingly, so that last mechanic will lead to shorter worlds, but could be countered by a mechanic that's just everyone (including spectators) voting on what goodies or badies the gate-character gets if it survives.
 Using a single thread for this would be too awkward in the long run, so it could instead be that the previous GM makes and links another thread at the switch (the first eventually making two), so the current GM doesn't control title and voting options both for mocking/subtle/spoilerific names and for the next switch.

The goal here would be to allow each forumite to write in a style they know and like, for a character they know and like, and for a setting they know and like, but it should regardless be a completely glorious mess. May Armok smile upon your first GM's Power Rangers.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1812 on: November 06, 2011, 07:11:16 am »

That seems a whole lot more complex than what I was suggesting. For all intents and purposes, an Endless RTD would be just like a normal one. No player GMs, no changing settings. But rather than a single GM controlling the whole thing, we'll have a series of "guest GMs" that write (and roll for) a single story arc and then pass it on. The goal is simply to keep it going as long as we can.

But in order to keep it going strong, we need to use the same tricks that a TV show might. The setting needs to be something that lends itself to self-contained story arcs against the backdrop of an overarching plot. This doesn't all have to be planned out in advance, either; we can improvise along the way.

Yes, I'm seeing how long I can last without linking to TVTropes.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:13 am »

:D
For that, we probably need a magical-technical world.
Or cross-dimensional portals... that could work too.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:42 am »

So, superhero team? Or people 'walking the earth' and always visiting a new locale for the next GM to play with, with a vague, background myth arc.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 661