Poll

Hammers or Axes?

Hammers
- 42 (29.4%)
Axes
- 101 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hammers or Axes?  (Read 3798 times)

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammers or Axes?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »

I voted axe and for one reason only. If you have a good steel production (though any metal suffices), you can always make everyone a woodcutter. This gives you your own darven militia which is hard to accomplish with hammers. It's even more fun if you give everyone mining jobs and masonry while you build extravagant stone structures on the surfaces.
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:42 pm »

I tend to arm my dwarves with spears most times. But if we go with the options on the poll, I go with the hammer for dispensing dwarven justice to the goblins.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:23 pm »

I vote hammers simply for...

HALT! Hammerzeit!

(Also because silver is about the only useful metal I've found thus far and so I have many, many bang-bang Maxwell silver hammers)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:52 pm »

I vote hammers simply for...

HALT! Hammerzeit!

(Also because silver is about the only useful metal I've found thus far and so I have many, many bang-bang Maxwell silver hammers)
I have to ask ... do your highly skilled hammerdwarves prefer to smash the hands of their enemies as an opening attack?

I had a legendary hammerdwarf arrive at a fort once (0.16 or 0.18, can't rememebr which) and he had a masterful silver hammer that he used to smash the weapon (and occasionally shield) hands of each elf he fought.  He then proceeded to try and bludgeon the elf within an inch of his life (but the rookie speardwarves would chop that last inch away, so I never got to see just how long he could keep those elves alive while beating on them).

I'm curious if this is normal behavior for skilled hammerdwarves.    I'm guessing it is, since my skilled/proficient spear dwarves like to take hands off their victims ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 11:32:28 pm »

From my experience they tend to kneecap majority of things they fight instead of kill them outright.  Out of 15 hammer dwarves only 3-4 of them seem to go for the head, the rest break (literally) every bone in the body of everything they fight rather then put them out of their misery.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 12:42:45 am »

Unmodded, hammers are ridiculously ineffective compared to axes. Sure, they will kill stuff EVENTUALLY (especially now that dwarves go for the head on unconscious creatures every time) but axes kill at least twice as fast, and probably more like 10x as fast in most situations.

The only advantage to hammers (they largely ignore armor) is nearly worthless since edge weapons mostly ignore lesser armor too.... and dwarves are the only race who can use steel or adamantine without modding. On top of that, even creatures that wear armor rarely wear a whole set anyway.

Even if you have literally no metal, you can import 4 bars of steel per year (plus any you bring on embark). 2 - 3 years gives you enough axes for a decent military. There's really no reason not to use axes except the !!fun!! factor.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 04:56:24 am »

I prefer hammers, mainly because the only metal I've had for a while is silver. Train those bad boys up, and pretty soon I have a whole army of Dwarves that just boil over goblins. Best part: Easy cleanup, as there aren't (normally) arms and legs all over the place!
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 06:13:17 am »

... arms and legs all over the place!

Ah yes, quite the problem around my previous fortresses.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 06:32:42 am »

Spoiler: Bec de Corbins (click to show/hide)
Backed up by plenty of axes, hammers, swords and even a few maces just for variety.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:18 am »

In Warhammer, the elite guards uses Hammers. Hence, Hammerers.

I leave axes for my slayers.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:25 am »

You can't tell them you want to "Axe Them A Question" with a hammer

"Hello, I'd like to 'Hammer' you a question."

You're right, it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
"Hey there (goblin|elf), I'm more than happy to spare spear you." has a pretty good ring to it as well. :D
You really hammered that one home, didn't you?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

You can't tell them you want to "Axe Them A Question" with a hammer

"Hello, I'd like to 'Hammer' you a question."

You're right, it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
"Hey there (goblin|elf), I'm more than happy to spare spear you." has a pretty good ring to it as well. :D
You really hammered that one home, didn't you?

You hit that right on the head there.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »

The topic is wrong, it should read:
hammers AND axes

I's say hammer in right hand and axe in left, first you bash the can open, then you chop the fleshy contents. Remember, elves use iron now and eat people, no mercy!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »

It's a tossup :( I have to say hammers because I always finish off axe-bandits easily, but hammer-bandits tend to have a one-lucky-hit-makes-me-lose threshold.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:56 pm »

Make an axedwarf legendary +5 in every fighting skill. Drop him in the middle of... say... Twenty goblins. Watch him enter in a martial trance.
I'd say after one minute he will be the last one standing, with limbs EVERY WHERE around him.

Much more fun than a hammerdwarf...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5