Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348776 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1740 on: February 16, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

Huh, interesting.  Here is the originals and stuff. 
Don't forget that this thing doesn't really determine how tall, but total body mass.

Spoiler: Size Raws (click to show/hide)

I'll consider your stuff some more later.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:57 pm »

Do the current ponies have (violently removable) teeth?

Regarding the other new changes....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do the were-creature transformations affect the pony names, if the were-creature is a pony of some sort? Can ponies turn into were-parasprites, or turn regular ponies into were-honey-badger-pony ponies?
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 16, 2012, 02:18:34 pm »

Do the current ponies have (violently removable) teeth?

All but certain I've seen my ponies have their teeth sail off in arcs, so yes.

I'm positive honey badger pony berserkers do anyway.  I just watched a pegasus smash some teeth out of one before her coltfriend carved up his pancreas.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 16, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »

@ Zangi:
I read somewhere, that in MLP there is around 0.35 male ratio. I liked all castes having both sexes.

According to <a http="http://www.ponibooru.org/post/view/99685">8 foot candy cane comparison[/url] ponies have about 1m HEAD height (this was VERY confusing to me, since normally you measure WITHER height for four legged creatures).

You messed up with skill-rates of various castes too much. 0% bow makes some sense, I think. But 10% farming for ponies other than earth is off by a lot. They should be able to GRASP_STRIKE with mouth or hooves.  I preferred skill-rates in 0.8 to 1.3 range. That way some castes were better than others at some things, but not worrying about it was at least a viable option. With your changes, they HAVE to be assigned correct labours.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

http://www.ponibooru.org/post/view/99685
Take that thing with a grain of salt.

Between the candy cane leaning, the filly being measured in the first frame crouching, whereas Scootaloo in the second frame is not, and a variety of other inconsistencies within the show itself, it doesn't really portray proper measurements.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 17, 2012, 02:38:18 pm »

Herp-a-derp... 
New changes in the entity_raws are not really substantial, though, I think the pony entity in 1.71 is missing: [PERMITTED_JOB:BEEKEEPER] [PERMITTED_JOB:WAX_WORKER]

Most substantial change is the HAMMER OF JUSTICE...  Which may or may not come in the form of a Hammer.  Justice can be served, with a whip...  or any other weapon you please.  I'll just keep it as a hammer.
Bandit ponies  Y/N
Pony tombs  Y/N

Creature_standard_raws have not changed I believe.  I have not delved into the non-civilization creatures yet, nor the fancy new interactions thing people have already been playing with.

So one thing I can do is a cross check and just push out a .34 compatibility update... maybe look into liberally adding some very minor magic for those with horns.
At least then, I'll keep my own changes to myself and any interested in my madness.  Cause I'm already cutting down on a LOT of stuff... and some of those changes are already unfriendly toward mass consumption.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »

I'm going over the new files using WinMerge. Since I've kept a complete list of changes in the tweaking guide it should be relatively simple to splice in the pony changes to the new DF files. If you hear about a big explosion in Hertfordshire, take it as read it went badly. Gizzards, tongues and feather layers have a fairly large footprint, so I'll be going over all that and making sure I don't derp it up, and maybe see about adding feather layers to pegasus wings, which could be trouble for the animal ponies. And all the untoward words have been removed. Aww, those were fun. I will actually have to think a little about that, there has to be some Diomedian flavour in the Rainbow names.

Good catch on those jobs, I'll check and see if they're missing from the other files. I've got no problem with other people making derivative mods. I am working on a simplified/traditional/ornate fork, so maybe for that. Course, the fact that I'm working on it doesn't mean it'll be here too soon.

About sizes, there really isn't any consistent sizing in the show, most methods yield something slightly different. I think the current sizes make for a more pony-like game, with ponies not having to be terrified of badgers and such, but honestly, size them how you like based on your head canon and difficulty preference. The current size is sensible if you assume zebras, dogs and buffalo are normal sized, the smallest zebras are 250 kilos, which is the main reason for pony sizes being what they are, and buffalo are a 1000 kilos, and the ones in the show are about four times pony size, so that makes enough sense. Might be an idea, if someone has the inclination, to write a script that automagically rewrites the sizes, similarly to how the Lazy Newb Pack can switch tilesets.

Regarding cutie marks, since they're genetic, why not make them more generic? So, rather than the cutie mark being one apple, three stars, or a hammer, just make them "apple related", "starry" or "a tool".

Haven't had all that much time to look at the new stuff, I'll have to look at that later. Do we have any control over were-form triggers, and can we make creatures were by default?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »

I think the current sizes make for a more pony-like game, with ponies not having to be terrified of badgers and such, but honestly, size them how you like based on your head canon and difficulty preference.

This is actually the primary reason I haven't actually completed the process of resizing things in my copy of the mod.  I fear big ponies might have spoiled me.  :P  I've actually only ever even played a single dwarf fortress, almost all of my games have been pony forts.  If I resized ponies to be smaller than dwarves, I'd probably get my butt handed to me in a hurry.

I might actually take up the task of writing a script to resize things dynamically, but I have no idea when I'd get around to it, and if I did it would probably be written in PHP which has the annoying requirement of having the PHP runtime installed.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 17, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

On the topic of pony size, my brother did some calculations based on the size of apples and concluded that the ponies must be a bit under 3 feet tall.  If I recall correctly (and I probably don't)...

Foals were about 1'6"-1'10" tall
Most mares were about 2'8" tall
Some stallions (Big Macintosh) were about 3'4" tall
Celestia was about 4'6" tall

Or something like that.  He also concluded that meant that most mares weighed in under 60 pounds.  That's adorable size compared to what I expected and is certainly smaller than what we've got in the mod.  That makes them smaller than dwarves (maybe not by a huge amount when you consider overall volume), and thus at a pretty serious disadvantage in combat.  Goblins are a real threat again!

That also brings into question Winona's size...

There were some alternative calculations involving a candy cane in the Hearth's Warming Eve episode that placed the ponies at somewhere between 4'-5' tall I think, but I don't recall precisely how that number was arrived at.  That's probably closer to what was intended for their size.

Not sure how the build of a pony compares to a shetland pony, but Shetlands are about 7-10 hands tall and weigh up to around 450 lbs.  http://horsebreedslist.com/horse-breeds/84/shetland-pony

Quadrupeds tend to be heavy for their height because the barrel of their torso is typically much bigger than that of most bipeds.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:35 pm »

Not sure how the build of a pony compares to a shetland pony, but Shetlands are about 7-10 hands tall and weigh up to around 450 lbs.  http://horsebreedslist.com/horse-breeds/84/shetland-pony

Quadrupeds tend to be heavy for their height because the barrel of their torso is typically much bigger than that of most bipeds.

And ponies have rather prominent tummies, so that might be where all the weight comes from.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:35 pm »

The MLP ponies seem to be a bit more lithe than a real world pony, but I agree that they're probably heavier than they look.  For the weights, I was wrong actually.  He calculated about 100-120 pounds for a pony, which sounds reasonable.  That was for a height (to the top of the head) of about 4'.  He calculated that by decomposing their bodies into cylinders and spheres and using the approximate density of flesh.  It's probably not extremely close, but probably not all that far off either.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:08 am »

Hrm, been working through my version to convert it to the new version, but for some reason its having severe difficulty placing all the civs now, im getting 90% worldgen rejection, anyone else have that problem?

Okay.. that fixed itself somehow.. odd...

Anyhoo, I've been playing around with some interactions and have given unicorns a ranged attack and a sleep spell, seeing them in action is pretty awesome, tho i think i have to tone it down a bit :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:09:43 pm by Sorcerer »

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

I've actually been having quite a lot of fun modding ponies as trainable livestock into vanilla DF. Unfortunately even though I run an entire fort dedicated to caring for ponies the only goods I can extract from them are meat and leather, and I don't really want to go around butchering cute ponies especially since I'm in an evil biome and they body parts will juts reanimate and kill everyone.

Let's see how much profit I can get off producing pony milk, then.

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »

When is this going to be updated for 0.34?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:36 pm »

I'm a bit busy at the moment, and I'm considering waiting for DF to stabilise so I don't have to refix it. I'm also going to have to sort out all the new animal ponies.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 140