Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348778 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1710 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »

Considering how the interaction system works, with ATTACK being one of the usage hints, they'll probably turn your ponies against you first thing, attack later.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:25 pm »

Oh, didn't realize that much had already been released about the way interactions were structured.  I am happy.  :)

I am also plotting ways for unicorns to mess with their enemies now.  It's going to be tough to balance out things if all unicorns have any sort of baneful magic.  Certainly nothing like turning enemies against their friends, but anything worth using in combat is going to make unicorns vastly more useful.  How do you compensate for that?

The eternal question in MLP, of course.  Unicorns are just better. :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 05, 2012, 08:42:05 pm »

Here is a text file containing all the interaction-related stuff that we've seen so far.

And here is a far more well-organized zip file containing all of that.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 05, 2012, 08:45:52 pm »

Oh, didn't realize that much had already been released about the way interactions were structured.  I am happy.  :)

I am also plotting ways for unicorns to mess with their enemies now.  It's going to be tough to balance out things if all unicorns have any sort of baneful magic.  Certainly nothing like turning enemies against their friends, but anything worth using in combat is going to make unicorns vastly more useful.  How do you compensate for that?

The eternal question in MLP, of course.  Unicorns are just better. :(

Giving two-horned zebras the ability to cast two things at one time?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »

I was mostly referring to the non magical castes vs. magical ones.  Earth ponies already suck compared to unicorns, since they get no combat advantage compared to an extra grasper.  Throw in magic too, and what do you get?

Admittedly, it's a problem with MLP in general.  I ended up tweaking the mod a bit to give earth ponies small bonuses to strength, toughness and endurance to compensate.  I don't know if it'll be enough with interactions, depending on how powerful we make them.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:32 am »

I looked at what castes of ponies have, and normal ones look pretty balanced. EPs are very useful for industry. Tough maybe give them increased healing rate in addition to strength and stamina, and some natural skills, like swimming. PPs are fast, and therefore great for hauling and scouting and hunting. They are also pretty good for 'going outside' jobs, because their dodge can keep them alive while they run from danger. Their flying, even broken, is still somewhat useful as long as there is a path, that a non flier could follow. UPs are great for industry too, and have an extra grip. I'd rather train them in crafts, than throw them into combat tough.

If something is imbalanced, it is 'abnormal' ponies. An army of spider ponies is pretty unstoppable, and some castes have 2 gripping horns or tusks.

BTW is there a built-in way to make only Princesses nobles, or are they treated like anypony else?

If there is a way to manipulate gender rates, I've read somewhere that they are around 2/3 females.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 06, 2012, 05:18:51 am »

jsut change the POP_RATIO tag.. Nazomrimtar only has one stallion, discounting the last wave which I'm not sure i really examined that well.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:24 am »

If your reaction produces an item with [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:...] set to higher than the boiling point, will the product be gaseous on arrival?

[yes, I'm preparing a reaction to make the IMP for the next version]

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 06, 2012, 11:36:45 am »

I was bored, so I decided to see how much of the Sapphire Stone/Statue Temple and it's traps can be reproduced for DF in some way.  8)
This is all theoretical however. Can a trap-master confirm it?

Video reference

Traps as they appear in order + way to reproduce it for DF:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sadly, it seems the final deathtrap Daring Do is tied up in can't be recreated properly (apart from the spiders/snakes).  ???

Or can it?  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:41:18 am by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 07, 2012, 02:19:38 am »

If your reaction produces an item with [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:...] set to higher than the boiling point, will the product be gaseous on arrival?

[yes, I'm preparing a reaction to make the IMP for the next version]

Yes, it's a commonly used trick.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

gentlemen!

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

The awesome has been doubled!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:26 pm »

stonesense poni sprites now grab their coat and hair color :D
im not sure what happens if someone with a custom stripe job shows up, probably just defaults to white, but i'll burn that bridge when i get there
next up is adding wings and horns :D

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »

Yay!

It makes me happy to still see Stonesense around... I really ought to get on updating those art assets some time, but I can't XML for the life of me.

Anyway, as someone familiar with the show, here's a few thoughts for balancing the pony castes:
Earth Ponies should tend to be stronger and faster than the others. Pegasi have their wings and all that, which is cool enough. For Unicorns, is there a way to randomly apply one unique magical "trick" to each individual, without creating 20 different Unicorn Castes? Things like "Teleportation", a ranged "Energy Attack", or a "Sleeping Spell", etc. You could probably adapt some of the reactions Putnam made for Fortbent, the MSPA Troll-themed mod.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:19 pm »

Using castes is probably the only way.  I may experiment with that some to see what sorts of things are possible.

Of course, with the new DF coming out in what should be a very short time, it's hard to justify spending much time modding stuff like that with the current version.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 140