Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348731 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1770 on: February 23, 2012, 07:31:51 am »

I vaguely remember that there were ham sandwiches at the party for Princess Celestia in the phoenix episode. Saddles are typically made using leather. Butter can be used for soap and candles, but it tends to have a cheesy smell.

Conjured wood is made from plants in a wood painting workshop, a woodcrafter takes the plant and transforms it into a log. Painted is when a dyer takes a bag of one of the new dyes from the plants in plant_pony_wood_dye and paints a log with it. Since it's a custom workshop, burrows tend to stop it working, and the bag can't be in a barrel.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 23, 2012, 07:49:34 am »

May I make a suggestion?

Have, instead of alicorns being a seperate caste, have a secret which turns a pony into an alicorn, the interaction would change them into an alicorn which would increased stats (including social skills) from other ponies and posess a few interaction based attacks such as

Royal canterlot voice:stuns  enemies with a quick recharge

perhaps we could have a few different secrets which turns you into an alicorn so we can have more power varieties, such as a solar alicorn a lunar alicorn and another alicorn

a solar alicorn would gain an ability like "divine light" which blinds enemies.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 23, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

My fork currently has soap from oil, sunflower oil specifically.

I like that alicorn idea, could make it a secret passed down from a god too, and we'll get alicorns showing up at the fort that are "special!"

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 23, 2012, 08:24:09 am »

Yeah, because as is, alicorns are too common.

Also perhaps there is also a "sonic rainboom" secret interaction that lets a pegasus fly at incredible speeds and then emit multicolored gas :D

and perhaps other secrets to represent rare events like that Superior magic for unicorns who excell at it? like twilight sparkle and starswirl the bearded.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:26 am »

Magic does sound like something that could be done using some sort of a research system.
some stuff goes into building -> outputs research -> x research needed to turn a unicorn or alicorn into a unicorn or alicorn with some sort of spell.

Alicorn powers being god-granted sounds pretty cool tho, has anyone done any non-evil gifted powers like that?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:26 am »

Weren't You working on Impelled Metamorphosis Potion?

If You buff Unicorns too much, or Pegasai for that matter, they will completely dominate Earth Ponies. Overpowered Alicorns are fine as long as they're rare. Also, spider ponies are overpowered. When embarking with Rainbow ponies, a squad of webbing and webimmune soldiers is so deadly, that all other castes are only good for marksponies.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:47 am »

Thats why I want most of the magic to be secret based rather than on the creature itself. so that although there are a few unicorns with enhanced magic, 99% of them dont. also, we need a good secret for an earth pony to learn.

I personally, dont like having the spider ponies or even rainbow pony civs in my game, I prefer it close to MLP canon (though a few extra races would be pretty cool)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 23, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »

One solution to the underpowered Earth ponies would be to make them stronger... 
what if we literally make earth ponies out of harder stuff, just copy the base flesh bone and tendons and make them harder and quicker healing, increasing the weight of their hoof material should make their hooves hit harder too (And those bucks are not to scoff at as it is)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:52 pm »

Earth ponies could get, I dont know, a boost to all there physical things in general. They might get less tired easly, have less nerves, slightly improved healing rate (with a bigger increase to there bones, considering that big Mac could heal something that would take a normal eqine out of work forever).

Also, about alicorns being made vi secrets: Thing is, with such creatures with powers granted by the gods showing up with a rate of two to three per fort, thats more alicorns than I get normaly! Rather, I would have the Dromidians replaced with genaric discorded ponies and have there castes become things that the gods can curse you into becoming in world gen. Fits things like the Keshis a lot better, I would think.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »

But isn't their skill at farming and foodstuffs their defining characteristic? Earth ponies are hard workers who are neither blessed with the freedom of flight nor the power of magic. If you gave them too much of an edge anywhere other then their skill-set then the spirit of being an earth pony would diminish in my eyes. There pride lies in their hard work and skill, be careful not to take that away from them.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

Solution:
Give this to Pegasus and Unicorns
Code: [Select]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:HERBALISM:1]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:PLANT:1]

They can still do the job, they'll just always suck at it... almost forever.  Your fort may croak by the time they get past dabbling.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Surp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 23, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »

Sorcerer, for some kind of reason i can't assign any skillpoints to the ponys on the "prepare for the journey"-screen ("+" and "-" key doesn't seem to work in this screen). If i go to the itemscreen everything works just fine. any ideas how i can solve the problem?

despite that the mod is pretty fun and the sawmill is damn handy.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »

Solution:
Give this to Pegasus and Unicorns
Code: [Select]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:HERBALISM:1]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:PLANT:1]

They can still do the job, they'll just always suck at it... almost forever.  Your fort may croak by the time they get past dabbling.
I am absolutely against it. Keep bonuses / penalties to skill rates in 50% range. As it is, any caste can learn any skill (except bows IIRC), and be reasonably good at it. 1% learn rate makes no sense at all. In the series all castes were helping Applejack with the harvest. I like to at least have the option to just ignore castes, and let migrants do whatever jobs they are skilled at. I also don't think that heavily nerfing other castes is a good way to buff Earth Ponies.

From what I see in this mod EPs are the backbone of industry (mining, woodcutting, most animal-related jobs, cooking and processing food, brewing, farming, leatherworking, conjuring wood with woodcrafting, making rock mugs for sale), and UPs do jobs that require skill. Pegasai often get stuck on various walls, and are OK as haulers and military. I find pegasai rather underpowered with their all-around 10% learning penalty.

Another thing You can do to boost a caste is to give them some natural skills. Pegasai could get automatic Competent dodge, EPs be at least Adequate at kicking, and so on.

@ Surp:
You mean in the "Fanon is Magic" version? Worked fine for me, tough my civilisation seems to be lacking a few pieces of armour, meat, leather, and other things.
Did you check if you have points to spend on improving skills? I had to get rid of a few seeds worth 250 to free up enough embark points for everything I wanted. And at this price, maybe I should export seeds instead of crafts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:10:47 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 23, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

Sorcerer, for some kind of reason i can't assign any skillpoints to the ponys on the "prepare for the journey"-screen ("+" and "-" key doesn't seem to work in this screen). If i go to the itemscreen everything works just fine. any ideas how i can solve the problem?

despite that the mod is pretty fun and the sawmill is damn handy.

Sounds like the ponies were somehow modded to not be able to learn?  Does that have any effect other than on skills?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »

You know what would be handy to have? A program that would automatically convert parts of mods to your own flavor. Anyone of you guys know how to work python? I'm looking into it but it's not as simple as I would have liked (not python but the complexity of such a program that can actually do this is rather vast.) Might also help with just modding in general.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 140