Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270466 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2175 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »

Yea, that was more in jest than serious. However I plan to take a week or two just to train up my alt in trading (one of my old goals that I never got around to) and hopefully make some money there (and hopefully some off of speculation!)

As far as faction warfare goes, neither of my 2 characters really have enough SP to participate effective (1.5 million and 2.5 million respectively)

but thanks.

God, that's plenty. All you need is a t1 EWAR/logi/tackle frig and people will love you. Sounds like the station trading is working out though.

thats what you need if you actually want to have fun in fw.
if you just want to farm your plex, all you need is a frigg that can kill a single easy to kill rat and  a the ability to check dscan (or just warpstabs and / or a cloak)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:55 pm »

or get a salvage boat and ninja salvage.  That makes a lot of money too.
Nom nom nom

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:34 pm »

hey guys, started playing eve again after... years and years.  New names kilakan kaundar if anyone wants to add me, currently buggering around near jita making fat stacks.

Are you in the channel? You better be in the channel. Fear the channel. Love the channel.

I just realized that I haven't read this thread in about two weeks. What's wrong with me.

[plug shame=0]I'm, uhh, I'm re-starting my corporation, guys. If you want to check it out, just look at the corp of Ace Echo ingame.[/plug]
What's the channel? Also me and a friend have a little corp between us, We're Lubricorp just incase you want to send us an alliance message or something

The channel is Bay12 Eve
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »

A buddy and I are still active down in Ordion. He tends to day trip into WHs while I split my time between Ordion doing missions or wormholes and chasing incursions.

Anyways, if you want some WH experience or Amarr navy faction, come down to Ordion or talk to me on the B12 channel (Thrawn/Sedais/Jazzy Smooth).

If you can fly a cruiser you can more than likely survive the class 2 WHs we poke our heads in and a BC would survive level 4 missions (unless they scramble or I mess up the triggers).

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: February 25, 2014, 07:23:30 am »

I let my subscription lapse a couple months ago. Curiously, I've found that it hasn't noticeably diminished the amount of fun I get from Eve. It just reduces the amount of time I spend playing.

I'm thinking Eve is a lot more fun to read about than to play.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: February 25, 2014, 08:03:33 am »

I let my subscription lapse a couple months ago. Curiously, I've found that it hasn't noticeably diminished the amount of fun I get from Eve. It just reduces the amount of time I spend playing.

Well obviously. I slave 4 hours a day for a year at PI and related industry. You only have to read a Massively article to get the lulz of me blanketing 100% of Immensea systems in Caldari Research Outposts.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:36 am »

Well obviously. I slave 4 hours a day for a year at PI and related industry. You only have to read a Massively article to get the lulz of me blanketing 100% of Immensea systems in Caldari Research Outposts.

Heh. And while Mr oh-god-thats-amazing-but-why here pulls out a trillion ISK a year for the lulz, Fikes, Ottorous (oog name unknown?), and I were putzing around in a few wormholes, killing sleepers, losing ships, and laughing heartily as Fikes screws up the spawn triggers. ;). We made, oh, about 40m isk each. Back to my point about playstyles.

For every great story you see in eve, there are 1,000 people mining, missionrunning, or preforming similarly dull activities you won't ever hear about. The key to having fun in this game is, as I have found, to be the one out there making the stories, even if there's no money in it. I'm not happy if my wallet's over a bil, since that just means I'm not burning through it fast enough.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:09:56 am by acetech09 »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:42 pm »

I've personally found that while the adventurous stuff, wormholes, low-null sec, PVP, etc. can create amazing stories, I'm sick of investing and working at them and finally making a slight profit before finally getting hit with a fatal shot of bad luck (or lack of attention on my part) to wipe all that out simply isn't worth it.

I like the big ships with the big guns and making things blow up as much as the next person, but I've decided I'm investing in other things for the moment. I need a stable industrial base to help hold me up so that losing a fully fitted war machine isn't all that of a huge hit.

For the moment I'm investing in mining, as boring as it is, I have a decent history with it in this game and honestly, some of the most fun I've had was just chilling during an organized group mine. I'm also taking my first look at PI and I'm liking what I see. No, it's not the sort of bulk profit you see after a nice evening mining, or even an hour or two killing things, but it's a slow, steady trickle of money that's almost guaranteed. Between those two things, I hope to build up my funds and then I can start strutting around in ships that I would have no business being in at the moment.

Also, keep in mind, absolutely none of this prevents me from doing the things I'm already doing. I've already got a decent enough ship setup for up to level 3 missions and low level ratting. So if I ever get bored I can still blow things up. I'm just taking some time away from improving those in exchange for improving other things. Diversifying my assets if you will.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: February 25, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »

Heh. And while Mr oh-god-thats-amazing-but-why here pulls out a trillion ISK a year for the lulz, Fikes, Ottorous (oog name unknown?), and I were putzing around in a few wormholes, killing sleepers, losing ships, and laughing heartily as Fikes screws up the spawn triggers. ;). We made, oh, about 40m isk each. Back to my point about playstyles.

For every great story you see in eve, there are 1,000 people mining, missionrunning, or preforming similarly dull activities you won't ever hear about. The key to having fun in this game is, as I have found, to be the one out there making the stories, even if there's no money in it. I'm not happy if my wallet's over a bil, since that just means I'm not burning through it fast enough.

Money is a tool for fun. My point was that any crazy story you hear about from EVE was the result of untold hours of dull toil. Thus the famous and common sentiment of EVE being funner to read than play. Most of the stuff you refer to isn't really unique to EVE which is why people don't tend to focus on it when they think of EVE. Which isn't to imply that there's anything wrong with playing that way.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:08 pm »

I've personally found that while the adventurous stuff, wormholes, low-null sec, PVP, etc. can create amazing stories, I'm sick of investing and working at them and finally making a slight profit before finally getting hit with a fatal shot of bad luck (or lack of attention on my part) to wipe all that out simply isn't worth it.

I like the big ships with the big guns and making things blow up as much as the next person, but I've decided I'm investing in other things for the moment. I need a stable industrial base to help hold me up so that losing a fully fitted war machine isn't all that of a huge hit.

For the moment I'm investing in mining, as boring as it is, I have a decent history with it in this game and honestly, some of the most fun I've had was just chilling during an organized group mine. I'm also taking my first look at PI and I'm liking what I see. No, it's not the sort of bulk profit you see after a nice evening mining, or even an hour or two killing things, but it's a slow, steady trickle of money that's almost guaranteed. Between those two things, I hope to build up my funds and then I can start strutting around in ships that I would have no business being in at the moment.

Also, keep in mind, absolutely none of this prevents me from doing the things I'm already doing. I've already got a decent enough ship setup for up to level 3 missions and low level ratting. So if I ever get bored I can still blow things up. I'm just taking some time away from improving those in exchange for improving other things. Diversifying my assets if you will.

PI is the most profit efficient strategy in EVE. I suppose most people consider it too dull to spend an hour on, even though 4 accounts with all PI alts is enough to make 400mil a day, playing just an 60 to 90 minutes a day, ideally at least, assuming nullsec or wormholes. And you can still use the 4 mains of the account for other stuff.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: February 25, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »

snip

Money is a tool for fun. My point was that any crazy story you hear about from EVE was the result of untold hours of dull toil.

Wha...

K, sure, B-R5 couldn't have happened without some mining toil, but that's a preeeetty broad generalization. I can't say that I've had more than one or two hours of 'dull toil' in the last month of playing eve, yet last night was a blast, even if I did lose a Brutix and nearly a helios.

The key to the game isn't finding a good dull income source to support your fun, but to have whatever you do for fun support itself. If you're into small-ship PvP, FW not only is great fun, but you make money from your fights. If you're into bigger PvP, find a nullsec roaming group, easy money to be made ratting in null space that you own. Wormhole holding corps also have some great profitable pvp experiences.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:11 pm »

snip

Money is a tool for fun. My point was that any crazy story you hear about from EVE was the result of untold hours of dull toil.

Wha...

K, sure, B-R5 couldn't have happened without some mining toil, but that's a preeeetty broad generalization. I can't say that I've had more than one or two hours of 'dull toil' in the last month of playing eve, yet last night was a blast, even if I did lose a Brutix and nearly a helios.

The key to the game isn't finding a good dull income source to support your fun, but to have whatever you do for fun support itself. If you're into small-ship PvP, FW not only is great fun, but you make money from your fights. If you're into bigger PvP, find a nullsec roaming group, easy money to be made ratting in null space that you own. Wormhole holding corps also have some great profitable pvp experiences.

I posit that perhaps we have different criteria for crazy story. I refer to the kind of stuff that non-EVE players are aware of and which causes people to make posts on Massively saying EVE is more fun to read about than play.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »

snip

Wha...

I posit that perhaps we have different criteria for crazy story. I refer to the kind of stuff that non-EVE players are aware of and which causes people to make posts on Massively saying EVE is more fun to read about than play.

Ah, yeah. Most of those things involve titans or espionage, which are pretty drawn-out. I don't care if things I do make news, however. I just play to have fun.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: February 25, 2014, 07:17:13 pm »

PI is the most profit efficient strategy in EVE.

Except that it isn't. Not by a long shot. The most efficient strategy is selling PLEX. It doesn't matter whether you're making 40 or 400 million ISK/hr doing what you're doing. It's much faster to pull out a credit card and buy a 6 pack of PLEX and sell them. 10 minutes, ~3.6 billion ISK. Done. No logging on every 24 hours to reset extractors. No dealing with alliance politics. No risking that trip through Solitude for that raven somebody's selling for 70 million below Jita prices. No micromanaging your station trades by .01 ISK every 5 minutes. None of that.

And that's kind of my quandry with Eve. Making ISK isn't much fun, but it's an awful lot of the game. Oh, sure...mision running is fun, for a while. Ratting can be fun, for a while. Learning PI and playing with spreadsheets can be fun, for a while. Sitting in Jita station trading can be fun....for a while. Wormholes, fun for a while. Etc.

But once the money problem is solved...are any of those activities enough fun to keep doing, week after week?

Apparently for me, the answer was no.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:56 pm »

PI is the most profit efficient strategy in EVE.

Except that it isn't. Not by a long shot. The most efficient strategy is selling PLEX. It doesn't matter whether you're making 40 or 400 million ISK/hr doing what you're doing. It's much faster to pull out a credit card and buy a 6 pack of PLEX and sell them. 10 minutes, ~3.6 billion ISK. Done. No logging on every 24 hours to reset extractors. No dealing with alliance politics. No risking that trip through Solitude for that raven somebody's selling for 70 million below Jita prices. No micromanaging your station trades by .01 ISK every 5 minutes. None of that.

And that's kind of my quandry with Eve. Making ISK isn't much fun, but it's an awful lot of the game. Oh, sure...mision running is fun, for a while. Ratting can be fun, for a while. Learning PI and playing with spreadsheets can be fun, for a while. Sitting in Jita station trading can be fun....for a while. Wormholes, fun for a while. Etc.

But once the money problem is solved...are any of those activities enough fun to keep doing, week after week?

Apparently for me, the answer was no.

Compared to any other in game activity besides being an alliance head profiting of technetium and other moongoo, PI is the best way to make money for shenanigans. Nothing else compares. I do find it kinda dull. Also 3.6bil isk is chump change. Shit it costs me almost twice that for the plex for my 12 accounts. If I can make 600mil an hour, which in the right season, aka winter when all the kids are playing, is doable with PI, its actually better to do PI than to spend IRL money because fat fucking chance I can get a job worth 20$ an hour. Shit I can't even get hired as a Schnucks bagger because I have no work history even though I'm 23. Time is money and the only money I get is about 60$ a month averaged out to do something I'm not supposed to discuss. But it rhymes with rielsen natings and may involve a code where you switch the first 2 letters of each word. But don't quote me on that.

And since most jobs are duller than doing PI and pay less even if I could get them its both the most time and fun efficient strategy to make craptons of space money.

And you should add being a line member in nullsec to your list of things somewhat as fun as watching paint dry. Now, maybe if they made industry as fun as crafting in SWG you might have an argument for something profitable that is also tons of fun. But making the same identical products over and over just like everyone else is dull as hell.

The problem with EVE is that in order to have a sandbox there are some necessary factors that are anti-fun. Although they could be made more fun if CCP wasn't so bad at designing sov mechanics.

I do have one question though, how does EVE PVE compare to other MMOs? Grinding the same raids 100 times like we are still playing Diablo 2 is hardly any better, fun and novelty wise.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 210