Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270435 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2205 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:00 pm »

I think I'll only need advice once I find out what I want to do in the first place... which requires me to play.

makes sense.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 14, 2014, 06:29:25 pm »

I think I'll only need advice once I find out what I want to do in the first place... which requires me to play.

Best advice I can give is to do the tutorials and try and get an idea of what is fun for you in game.

There are many different ways you can go in game, but part of the trick is to find something you enjoy enough to do regularly to give you a base line for isk. My recommendations for this are mission running, exploration, mining, and faction warefare. I only really have experience with Mission running. Industry is not a good option and I believe buying a BPO is a terrible idea at this stage of the game.

Once you pick an activity, do it to the best of your ability until you get a good baseline of credits. What I mean is that just because you CAN upgrade to a cruiser and do level 2 missions doesn't mean you should. Keep doing level 1s until you can really afford (in both skill and isk) to fully outfit a cruiser and its replacement. I am sure similar rules apply for exploration and mining. Don't jump to low sec because you CAN, jump when you are able to lose what you have.

Again most of my experience is running missions. They are not thrilling but they are more interesting than mining. They have risks but generally eve survival will tell you how to manage the risks. Finally, they teach you how to fly your ship and when to align or flee, both important skills.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »

its wide consense that there are two kinds of eve players: these that play to get ritch, and these that play to blow up stuff.

but of cause. no matter what you do, you will need some income.

i agree to the advice to stay away from industry. players that have etablisched productions will dictate the price. at best you will be able to make a tini profit, but that still will be a loss for you, as you could spend your time on stuff that makes much more profit.
same goes for mining. its a waste of time and income. most minerals actually dont come from mining but reprocessing mission rat drops, these that do mine usually do it on a second account while their main character does low attention stuff, and finally, mining will always make you a target as many players love to kill miners for funs and giggles.

factional warfare will be rather borring with low skills. but it will make great isk (as in GREAT compared to anything else you can do with virtually no skills) and teach you how to survive in low.
another popular way to make an income is to run security missions in highsec. for the first 2-4 weeks your income will be very low, but it will get better after that.
still, grinding in enough income to pay for your subscription and the stuff you want to buy will be rather difficult wich missioning alone untill you have at last half a year of skill training.
finally, you can do some planetay interaction. but lucrative places to do this are scarse in highsec, its dangerous in lowsec, and molas can tell you a story about how it proably would work out for you in sovspace null.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »

To be fair it would probably be different for most people. My main problem was the scale of my operation. I could have got into FCON if I was only using 2 accounts where the alts did PI. They just don't want to have hundreds of characters that don't pvp because it messes up how they determine which corps are active in fleets or something. Although the real solution would be to have a better way to determine activity than characters in fleets vs characters in corp.

Players who only intend to have 1 account can make decent money making coolant and robotics and selling it in corp/alliance to make money. Plus PI alts only take a month or so giving you quick access to characters you can train for cynos.

But most players won't have a chance to get into nullsec in their first few months regardless of their desire to do industry.

I would probably recommend faction warfare for new players, though. I'm sure most people could get in fleets in some sort of tackle roll.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:58 am »

Well, sad to say that the dream has died. And by the dream I mean saving up enough ISK and then writing a blog entitled:
A Titan A Day Keeps The Boredom At Bay

About welping one titan a day for a whole year. It would only have taken me about 8 years to save up.

Some people might say its insane to welp 3.2million USD worth of ISK in a year for a blog. And to those people I say:
Get some artistic integrity. Everyone knows:

Performance art best art.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:01 pm »

EVE is a 100% PVP environment, to that end I advise you get into it as early as possible, don't train Caldari ships as they're boring as shit and nigh on useless.
Join a corp like Eve Uni or Brave Newbies, a good corp to teach you the ropes will make or break this game for you.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 18, 2014, 03:01:27 am »

Brave newbies not so much right now they currently have nullsec fever and have formed a coalition with test and currently on the warpath into null
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:41 am »

Theres nothing wrong with that, new players should go to null.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:32 am »

new players should go to null once they have gotten some experience about PvP and survival in hostile environments, you cannot send a day one player to a deep blue system without instructing him and teach him to at least get onto a BC for ratting since that's what he'll be doing 24/7......

people also forgot RvB, that's a good way for players to get an start in PvP

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 21, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

Thinking about getting back into EVE, haven't played in a couple months, how's the new expansion and is GOON still up in TEST's business still?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 22, 2014, 12:04:53 am »

Thinking about getting back into EVE, haven't played in a couple months, how's the new expansion and is GOON still up in TEST's business still?

TEST's ass got kicked in recently so the Goons are basically the force to be reckoned with.

The new expansions are good. Mostly small but good quality-of-life improvements. Nothing gamechanging.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:23 am »

Interesting interesting... I'm wondering if my corp is still there. I renewed to WoW for another month so next month I'll reconsider EVE.
Do we have a corp? If we did I'd be more interested in joining. :D

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:29 am »

We don't really have a corp. I have a loose group that runs around Oridon doing missions and wormholes.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 22, 2014, 05:35:38 am »

Did my first organised WH op last night; it was freaking awesome. It was also my first time as logi, and I can safely say that I am now logibro fo lyf. We made ~250million in about 2 hours.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:44 am »

My ears are burning... Come to C6's...
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210